Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 06/07

Poster: A snowHead
A covering of new snow freshened things up a bit today on the 'Gorm after the weekend thaw and subsequent refreeze. Firmer base up top, softer snow lower down the middle slopes. Should be good spring snow mid-mountain after an overnight frost and slightly milder temps on Wed. Some reasonable but not very extensive riding on offer, generally decent enough in the Top, with top to middle riding via the Traverse (which is loaded) or the M1 RaceTrack, then down the Gunbarrel to the middle. Coire Cas is narrow, but has easy to ski on soft snow, not really spring like with the covering of fresh today, but probably will be more spring snow like tomorrow. Hanging in there and despite the big set back at the weekend, slightly ahead of the tail end of Feb. White Lady skiable, but the last route on got officially closed today, due to an infuriating break in the middle of the run which could have been sorted out with the Piste Bashers yonks ago if there was the will. Sad

^View down a loaded Traverse into Coire Cas. If they measured snow depths this would be a good spot, at least 6feet of snow here!

^View from about the same spot looking down the other route from here to the Cas Gunbarrel - the M1 RaceTrack.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So when is all this snow arriving?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnboy, sunday afternoon / night according to our local forecast and "Bob" is not often wrong !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokin Joe,

Better take the goggles for Sunday. Monday is shaping up to be a good day.

Our local weather girl is called Angie. Very pleasing on the eye as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"From Friday night through to Tuesday 20th we are getting a foot of snow each night. When the blizzards finish we should have - off the charts conditions. We shall open when as and as quickly as we can. I will be filling my boots personally. Watch our Access2200 Snowcam for fun. Prizes for guessing how deep the drifts are on the MB. Start at 20ft. Game on Jocky."

http://glencoemountain.com/store/news.php?listid=1

Glencoe seem to think there may be a little snow on sunday Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
II, Typical rolling eyes as all my gear's packed for going to Morzine on Wednesday.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just Back from Nevis.

Snowed down to the carpark

1ft fresh at Snowgoose

Huge drifts everywhere

Visability Crap

They don't know what a piste basher is.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i was at the coe today... there was abit of snow at the top run (soz i dont know the names) and the bottom. the one inbetween which uses the chairlift , was not in use due to not enough snow . i was dissapointed cos liked that one . But still had a good wee session today Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nevis today:
Lots for unpisted snow all over - good base on top half of mountain no base on the lower half.
All summit runs pisted and great. Sidewinder pisted and widefor an easy red from the top.
I fell over 3 times today in the fresh snow on the goose Laughing
Summit park:

Far west:

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 20-03-07 23:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
II,

Looks like I was there too early. That looks fab, it was nothing like that yesterday Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
II, Great pix. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A photo from Saturday that sums up the last five days at CairnGorm Mountain:

With the Ciste Tow back in operation even in the Top Basin queues weren't bad at the weekend, and have been non existent mid-week, riding straight onto the open lifts. Diurnal freeze thaw cycling and warm days mean great granular spring snow, real true spring snow, not the slush that get's fobbed of as 'spring snow' elsewhere!!

Top Basin Runs are all complete with a decent cover and the Traverse is absolutely loaded for heading down to the Cas, the M1 RaceTrack provides a bit more gradient and an alternative route to the Cas. Cas headwall offers steep spring snow turns, traverse round from the Ptarmigan Tow. Couple of minutes hike to gain more height needed for the Traverse across Coronation Wall but has been well worth it the past few days, rip up the main pitch of the headwall, then take a line to the Cas Tow and head down Coire Cas.

^Traversing Coronation Wall.

^Looking down the Traverse to compare with above pic from mid-month.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And the touring over the back was pretty decent at the weekend aswell Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to Nevis on Monday summit and top half of goose were ok but nothing anywhere else unfortunately. Took a few hours for the cloud to clear on the summit runs but was ok. Trouble was we were poorly prepared and by the time we had made it back down to the resteraunt for a drink we really couldn't be bothered to trek back to the chair to go back up. Shame they couldn't cart folks in the buggy, that would have made a big difference.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These great aerial views of the Cairngoms posted on winterhighland by boarderdownunder last weekend
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2049
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2048

Shows how much touring potential there is up there Smile
snow report
3 Pics from Nevis today. Cool Very Happy snowHead

Great spring snow Very Happy
snow conditions
II, Looks truly excellent! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski,
It was my favourite day of the season so far. Very Happy
Only 300m of vertical but after lunch the goose was nice and soft.
snow report
I was out at Cairngorm on Saturday - took a mate for his first ever tour. We had to start from the carpark. I normally cheat and start from the Ptarmigan as I have a season ticket, but no point buying a day ticket for my mate just for one train ride. Started off up the Daylodge and then up the M2 - picked up enough snow to skin from the top of the steep section of the M2. Then headed up Marquis's well, much improved with the midweek snow fall. Headed for Ben Macdui via Coire Raibert nad Coire Domhain. Made the summit just after lunch with my mate already feeling very knackered. The ski off Ben Macdui into the top of Garbhe Uisge Beag was absolutely brilliant Smile. Really nice spring snow neither too soft nor too hard. I then skated all the way back to Coire Domhain so the skins stayed in the bag. Finished off by skiing the Cas headwall and down a completly deserted Cas run - because we'd been a bit slow and it was pushing 5pm by the time we were off the hill.

Great day - hope my mate enjoyed his first tour - he was a bit knackered by the end!
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, I hope you don't mind me butting in but can I ask what standard of skier do you have to be to undertake something like that and how do you get started? Also presumably you need to be pretty fit. I will be grateful for any comments you can make.
snow report
 brian
brian
ianmacd, the cairngorm plateau's pretty flat (as you'd expect for a plateau) but .... your navigation skills need to be pretty good because if the weather closes in it's pretty featureless and there are quite a few lurking cliffs !
snow conditions
ianmacd,

There is nothing really hard technically with the skiing - the steepest pitch was the Cas headwall back into the ski area, but you don't have to ski it, you could carry on up to the summit and go down Marquis' Well and then down blues and greens in the ski area. The pitch off Ben Macdui into the top of Garbhe Uisge Beag is no more than a blue the rest is fairly greenish in slope, but you'll be going up it in one direction. The only other variable is the snow. When I did it on Saturday it was brilliant spring snow, fast and soft, but not too slushy. However it could be anything from slush to sheet ice with any mixture inbetween with lots of pwder if your lucky Smile.

As Brian says the tricky bit can be the navigation. If I'm doing long tours on the plateau I choose days when the weather is good and the forecast is good, but still carry map, compass and GPS just in case it closes in unexpectedly. If the weather is poor I'll stay closer to the ski area, perhaps just head into Ciste Mhaeraid or into Coire Raibert or Coire Dhomain where the navigation is easier.

Fitness wise, I don't think you need to be superfit. If your not used to the classic stride technique then it could be worth working up too longer tours as the technique uses muscles that may not get much use normally. If I do a lot of classic after a long break i tend to have sore muscles in the groin area next day. If the snow is good the ability to skate effectively is usefull as you can cover a lot of flat and gently rising ground without getting the skins out.
snow conditions
Dave Horsley, thanks for replying. I am really keen to try something like this next year. I am essentially a beginner (thought I was intermediate till I went to Verbier!) but the notion of being away from the pisted areas really appeals. I should have been able to work out about the navigation aspect myself. I would like to give this a try before I am too old and fat but maybe I am already Puzzled My other concern is that I am being like the guy in Motny Python that wants to be a lion tamer Embarassed
ski holidays
ianmacd, don't wait till next year, go now. the conditions are here !

Last Easter i toured across the Plateau with the intention of skiing the March burn. Unfortunately visibility was rather worse than being on the inside of a ping pong ball.

I was pleased to find the entrance , having presumeably crossed the fozen lochan near by ! I started to drop in but my nerve escaped me,...the convex slope, frozen snow and the nagging doubt that it might not be the March Burn forced a retreat.

Good weather its fabulous on the Plateau, bad weather can be very challenging indeed.
ski holidays
Peter S, I'm off to Obergurgl on Saturday and am recovering (I hope) from a torn gastrocnemius in January. Still a bit sore and my fitness is dreadful. I think I'll have tpleave it for a bit. Still one day...
latest report
Good to know that here in the UK there is always someone keener than you are !

Glencoe June rail tricks !

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,65299,page=84
ski holidays
I'm waiting for helen's July photo's NehNeh
snow report
June update:
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displayimage.php?photo_id=4941
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm waiting for helen's July photo's

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200607/07jul12/
snow conditions
and Helen has put up abit of video on YouTube of the July outing.

http://youtube.com/v/8FHZBegLKEw
latest report
They say if that patch of snow ever melts "the Grants will lose their land" Laughing
snow report
Will there be any August Ski-ing?

Does the patch ever melt? If not, does that make it a glacier?
snow report
Possibly

Yes, it did last year and probably will this year, but you might want to look at this thread on winterhighland where the snow patches are being monitored via photos from people out in the hills. Still some big patches left, but not suer they'll all make it through to the winter.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,76649
snow report
Quote:

Johnboy, according to Martin Morans book, 'Scotland's Winter mountains', there is some evidence that the last remnant of the last scottish glacier finally melted as recently as the early 19th Century. Shocked
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Quote:

Johnboy, according to Martin Morans book, 'Scotland's Winter mountains', there is some evidence that the last remnant of the last scottish glacier finally melted as recently as the early 19th Century. Shocked

Bloody AGW! Laughing
snow report
Peter S wrote:

Good grief I never knew that!

Anyone know where you can get reasonably cheap copies of that book? I looked on Amazon but they seem to be going for around £30... eBay perhaps?

Anyway, I remember in the 80s people used to talk about permanent snow fields/patches somewhere in the Cairngorms, I got the impression there were some at the time that were a permanent feature. Anyone know if that was accurate or an exaggeration? I guess these days there's no chance of them surviving every single year although some years it'd perhaps be likely.
snow conditions
Up until circa 1999 it was recorded that the patch on Braerich only completly dissapeared on 3 separate years within the last century.
snow report
^ that'll be the one they were referring to, thanks for reminding me Smile

I presume the Braeriach patches survival over the last few years has been less frequent, anyone know how often it has survived?

BTW, nice site there Haggis_Trap Very Happy
snow report
Recent picture showing the large snowfield in the garb Corrie .

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2398
snow report
And here are the August turns Shocked Shocked

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2427
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy