Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 06/07

brian
brian
Well, the Braveheart briefly ran on Saturday but .....

the weekend thaw has taken its toll. Lecht/Glenshee both all but closed again (I think one tiny beginner area each), Cairngorm back to top basin plus Coire Cas above the gunbarrel.

Glencoe and Nevis had a bit more to play with but have both lost some of the lower runs. Hopefully some colder weather down the line soon to build on the base that's left.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The sun came out to play on Monday afternoon at CairnGorm Mountain (can't vouch for what the morning was like). Snow was firming up at dusk so diurnal freeze/thaw cycling should continue to improve surface conditions, slightly sticky in the Ptarmigan Bowl till late afternoon, while Coire Cas had very nice granular spring snow. Still skiable to the mid-station via the Cas Gunbarrel, the only officially open loss since the weekend was the Carpark Run and Zig Zags - so it looks a lot less wintry, but no damage to the pre-existing base as yet, in fact if anything a net gain over the peace.

Boarders prepare for the final run as the last of the afternoon sun hits the roof of the Ptarmigan Restaurant.

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=293
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bump!

After a week of sustained thaw conditions some semblence of seasonal temperatures returned to the Scottish Mountains - oh how different it would have been had that pesky high been cold instead of warm!

All however is not lost well not for CairnGorm, Glencoe and Nevis Range. For good skiers/boarders Nevis or Glencoe have more on offer and Glencoe edges it with still good sport on offer on the Spring Run, Main Basin and the Flypaper on the upper mountain. For the less experienced or those learning CairnGorm is the place.

Photos from CairnGorm on Friday: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=296

Snow was hardpacked on Friday, but with the FL going above the tops during the day on Sat at least in the East at CairnGorm the surface is expected to loosen up to give spring snow. Another fine day with plenty of sunshine and generally light winds for the 'Gorm on Saturday, part cloudy with some sunny spells, but dry for the West. Colder again on Sunday with sunny spells and snow showers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shame about the thaw, but I remember a number of seasons with no skiing until mid-Jan and one season that didn't start until mid-feb! Bearing this is mind, Scotland is doing pretty well this year. Nice pics as ever Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
*Bump*

Think this thread needs some up to date pics, so here we go, firstly from the Summit Terrain Park at Nevis Range on Sunday:

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=312

Some photos from CairnGorm on Tuesday - several park features now set up in the Ptarmigan Bowl.

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=311

Since the last post in this thread we've been through a violent storm cycle on the weekend of 10th/11th Feb, blizzards on hurricane force south east winds, but while some areas of terrain loaded up, others were scoured. Repeated freeze/thaw cycling since then means some loss lower down, with surface conditions atlernating between lovely granular spring snow and firmpacked refrozen spring snow as the temps fluctuate.

On the Gorm, the Cas Gunbarrel, M1 and White Lady filled in on the 11th and these runs remain complete to the mid-station though narrow in bits. East Wall is in good nick, but sadly not lift served because the poma track was scoured clear, now if there was a chairlift down there... oh wait... rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice pics
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think I could be heading up Nevis this weekend
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Worth saying this, because if you can get up mid-week at the moment, you can clock up a huge mileage at present and even though there isn't a huge range of terrain open, there's still some good sport to be had - plus a full day for the price of an hour in a freezer!

Even though some areas are still on half term, away from the Top Basin on CairnGorm today the M1 Poma and Cas Tows were deserted, despite the White Lady and M1 being open for good skiers and the Cas for intermediates. The White Lady though fairly narrow in bits was riding pretty nicely with pretty flattering near perfect granular spring snow. Have seen a pic of Coire Cas today, and not a single other skier in shot or on the lift. Great if you want some good value riding (not so good for the ski areas). Next time there's a frost in the central belt half of scotland will turn up, so get up and take advantage of empty slopes while you can.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like any snow sports will be cancelled for me now this season. Ive wrecked my ankle playing 5 a side last night Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dj_colinbell, Sorry to hear that - football I presume? BAD IDEA! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
heading to aviemore for a week on sunday!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know I shouldn't find this funny....

Boarder finds the stream in the Cas Gunbarrel!! Laughing Cool snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, Maybe not - but it is! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hoping for some good late season snow as I'm coming over to Scotland on 17/3/07 for 4 days.

Will go whereever there is snow, but would like to ski Glencoe. Just like the look of the place.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
johnboy,
Unless it has changed again this year you will have to catch it on the 17/18 as it is closed midweek Crying or Very sad Great place when the snow is good but I haven't been this year yet.
ski holidays
Just seen on the weather Scotland is getting a good dump of snow overnight tonight.

snowHead
latest report
[edit]
Rain Radar I was using was on a bit of a glitch - looks like there's more intense precipitation getting through to the 'gorms esp the plateau area, so hopefully some of it will blow off into the ski area. Lecht webcam is also stuck on the same image from this morning though the time is updating - realised that those beginners hadn't moved an inch in nearly 3 hours!! Laughing

Well either the cam is playing up or they must be bloody cold by now!

Still though looks like 2inches of rain for the west later if the meto warning comes off. Shocked

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 27-02-07 13:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

but after a few inches of snow, will come two inches of rain

The usual then Sad Sad

snowHead
snow conditions
The other Lecht cam:

It's been heavy rain here all morning (40 miles north of Nevis) and it's currently +3C on the summit runs Mad
latest report
"It's a while since Glencoe has looked like this!" Toofy Grin
snow report
I know 3 posts in a row is rude but we have had some more snow up here Very Happy
Nevis has received a nice top up up top Cool
All the blues on the summit are now open and all the reds down the goose are open to T4. There is quite a bit of snow further down (only a little more is needed) but goose tow is still loading from Tower 4.
One photo taken from the turn off from spider to the goose.

snow report
II,

Thanks for the update, looks really good and pretty deserted as well snowHead
snow conditions
Do you have to download on the quad chair?

And on the way up can you ski from top of quad to bottom of the goose?

I'm trying to work it out from the piste map that I printed off.

Cheers,

John
ski holidays
johnboy,
Latest off Nevis website:

Last Update 16.50hrs on Monday 5th Mar 2007

Heavy snow showers. Runs on the upper mountain filling in and improving conditions.
Wide cover on all the Upper Goose and Summit runs. Warrens being assessed.
Boardwise Terrain park will have to be dug out. Very Happy snowHead
Access and downloading on the quad chair.

Last time I was there:
5 minute walk from top of gondola to bottom of quad chair which takes you up to 3000ft and a traverse across to the Goose T-bar mid loading point.
With the snow we have been having yesterday and today I would think that the Goose tow could be full length (there are 2 blues and the red goose run from the top of the chair to the bottom of the Goose tow)
It was possible to ski to the bottom of the Goose and walk back to the gondola but I prefer the quad to download.
But if you are on hire skis - you could ski to close to the gondola station wink

It does look like Warrens may also open this week which is a really nice red run.
Very Happy
snow report
II wrote:
johnboy,
With the snow we have been having yesterday and today I would think that the Goose tow could be full length

It does look like Warrens may also open this week which is a really nice red run.
Very Happy

Nevis website

"Snow Conditions
Heavy overnight snow above 750m. Goose will be open for its full length. Lots of snow on Goose and Summit. Warrens and traverses will be assessed later. Summit tow and quad chair marginal due to wind. Alpha open for full length for access. Dry slope with some snow on Yockies for lower abilities. "
Toofy Grin

Just no one look at the forcast for the weekend Mad
snow report
Posted some photos from Friday 2nd March in the '"spring has sprung" thread, but here's one and a link to more to keep this thread up to date:

^Machine packed powder on the upper M1 on route to the Traverse, Ptarmigan Restaurant behind.

Friday Photos: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=318,10,1

Was up on Tuesday and there has been further gains on mid-mountain runs over the weekend with snow drifting into the Snowsports Area off the Plateau. The feed of snow off the plateau has more or less stopped for now as there's been a couple of short thaw/freeze cycles overnight on both Sunday and Monday. Thus surface conditions are not as flattering as on Friday, firm grippy snow with a light covering of fresh higher up, but the upside is some welcome consolidation to help with base building.

^Skier on the White Lady, firm quick but grippy snow giving good riding for experts.

Tuesday Photos: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=322

Outlook and Weekend preview:

Wind has been unrelenting given it's March, Thursday isn't looking bad though the wind may start to pick up again in the afternoon. Friday winds are forecast to be moderate but with some fairly strong gusts up to 50-55mph. Basically Thurs or Fri is the days to aim for if you can get up, worth checking out the latest forecast in the evening.

Weekend: If your thinking about it, don't bother. Save your money for another day. Hurricane force SW'ly winds are expected to persist through the weekend, though detail is not set in stone yet, it would take a monumental shift in synoptics given the huge expanse of high winds around a North Atlantic low of 940 to 945mb. One glimour of hope that it might all happen a bit quicker than first forecast.
ski holidays
great pic, what happened to the bumps on the lady???
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, must have been falsies. rolling eyes
latest report
Cairngorm was on BBC and ITV tonight links below:

http://wm1.stv.tv/070307ski.wmv

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6420000/newsid_6428800?redirect=6428891.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&nbram=1
ski holidays
am thinking about going to glencoe tomorrow morning (friday).

should i stay or should i go??
ski holidays
I would say check there website early in the morning but they are the worst of all the scottish centres for updateing that rolling eyes
May be a bit windy or it may be a lot windy ?
but the upper runs have loads of snow.
That doesn't help really does it wink
snow conditions
orangutan,

Would Cairngorm not be handier for Dundee?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
orangutan, I'd probably go cairngorm I think. Wind will be strong but strongest in the west. The funicular should be able to run though.
snow report
II,

Have you been up recently?
snow conditions
johnboy,
What go out in all that pissing rain do you think i'm mad Puzzled
ski holidays
II, Laughing Laughing
latest report
johnboy,
Rain has only been moderately heavy and I think we have just about reached the peak of the mild temperatures. It’s currently +4C at the top of the goose at Nevis but I’m hopping it will be back to 0C by breakfast time tomorrow- it’s Sunday so late breakfast may be in order Smile
The East seems to have avoided the rain so they may have faired better.
What snow there was/is on the upper mountain at Coe and Nevis is well consolidated and should survive.
I would be very surprised if there was insufficient snow for Nevis, Glencoe and Cairngorm to open when you come. It may only be from tower 4 up at Nevis but so what!
The wind has to ease soon. NehNeh
snow report
Something very fishy about the Lecht webcam atm! rolling eyes
latest report
Just saw RTE weather for the week ahead. The Highlands should be in for an Artic blast by the weekend. Perfect timing Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy