Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A few old stories...

Poster: A snowHead
We have some new articles at Retro-Ski, those who like Ski History may find something interesting at:

Arnold Fanck, the master of mountain films

Byron Harmond, the photographer of the Canadian Rockies

The Changi A.I.F. Ski-Club

The Ski Club of Great Britain

Guerra Bianca - White War
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pedro maia, good to see you back again with some more interesting stuff!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pedro, ..some really great photos.excellent snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pedro maia, great photos. Now, if we could have a " classics " sticky ski section to post all of the historic ski stuff to. A sort of virtual history museum.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hibernia, all you have to do is add Retro-Ski to your favorites wink .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pedro maia, Laughing Laughing I'll tell my dad!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, please do, and give him my best regards (I´ll contact him soon).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Wasn't that where Hemingway's "A Farewell To Arms" was based?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky wrote:
Quote:

«A Farewell to Arms» relates, as far as I remember, the battle of Caporetto, wich is North of Venice, close to Slovenia, and not in the mountains.

The White War happened much to West, close to the Swiss and Austrian border.

There were also battles in the Dolomites, where there are some ski resorts, where you have now the Skitour della Grande Guerra (of the Great War), I made an article which is not in Retro-Ski and isn´t translated into English, but you can have an idea here:

http://www.nevasport.com/reportajes/articulos_detalle.php?id_articulos=306.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pedro maia, really good photos on that link - anyone know of where an english translation of this can be got, or even a book on the subject. I recognise that Church in Cortina D'Ampezzo, it has hardly changed!.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pedro maia wrote:
skanky wrote:
Quote:

«A Farewell to Arms» relates, as far as I remember, the battle of Caporetto, wich is North of Venice, close to Slovenia, and not in the mountains.

The White War happened much to West, close to the Swiss and Austrian border.

There were also battles in the Dolomites, where there are some ski resorts, where you have now the Skitour della Grande Guerra (of the Great War), I made an article which is not in Retro-Ski and isn´t translated into English, but you can have an idea here:

http://www.nevasport.com/reportajes/articulos_detalle.php?id_articulos=306.

Yes I've just checked and Hemingway himself was based in Fossalta. It's been a while since I read it and my memory was of the fighting being in the mountains - especially with him returning to Milan more than once (and the crossing into Switzerland again affected the perception of where it all was). I might have to dig it out again at some point.

Thanks for that though, very interesting.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hibernia, that article was based mainly at this website http://www.webdolomiti.net/Luciana_Palla/vicende_di_guerra.htm you´ll find there many more pictures, what I made was relate the subject to the ski areas of the Dolomites.

You can contact the the author of the original article, Luciana Palla, but I don´t think there´ll be a translation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pedro maia, thanks for that, but the link is not working. Could you please re-check that its correct.

The dolomites is one of my favourite areas to ski and hoping to ski in the Brenta dolomites next March.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pedro maia, you just reminded me that I have an edition of 1960 ski instruction technique book " Il Vero Sciatore " which I picked up up in Belluno bookshop a few years back - it has lots of photos of ski technique of that time, I wish my Italian was a lot better. At some point, if I can figure out how the scanner works, I will post some of them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pedro maia, I saw one of the battlefields last Feb on the Presena Glacier above Passo Tonale. It's an amazing place for a battlefield. We were told that bodies, and other bits and pieces appear every now and then out of the glacier.

snowHead
ski holidays
[link fixed]
ski holidays
Hoppo, thanks for fixing it. And that's a coincidence - I just posted about that book I purchased in Belluno and lo and behold the site is from that area. Belluno is on the road from Venice to Cortina D'Ampezzo, and its just on a turn-off of the autostrada before Cortina. Its a lovely town with the backdrop of the Dolomoties. And it has an excellent bookshop where you can pick up all sorts of old books. If driving to Cortina or other north Italian dolomites resorts it is a nice stop-off.
ski holidays
The Dolomites are, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the Alps, and it´s great to be there, either in summer or in winter time, and see the landscapes but also feel the historical atmosphere.

Two of the best places I ever skied are the Lagazuoi (where the austrians had their trenches) and Cinque Torri (where the italians had their).

And in summer time you can even visit the trenches and think on how is it possible to make war in such an incredible place.
ski holidays
skanky, I forgot to mention that Hemingway was a skier, and he´s said to have written «The old man and the sea» in Sun Valley, Idaho.

Here I have one picture of him skiing:

http://www.nevasport.com/nevablogs/d/vips-en-la-nieve---vip-on-the-snow/1838
snow report
pedro maia, thanks for that, some interesting stuff there.

I'm always amazed at the clothing they wore, they just look like they're just going for an afternoon of grouse shooting, or something similar.
snow conditions
wow pedro, you are great wink wink

Excelent Blog.... rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
raulasturias, Hi partner wink .
snow report
pedro maia, I have sent you a PM in response to yours - check your In-Box.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy