Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Convince me....driving?

Poster: A snowHead
Auto-route all the way - not like driving on UK MWays - much easier. Cost is only about £40 each way.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fraserp,

We used to do a mixture of motorways and main roads going to the Alps before all the motorways were built/joined up, the non-motorway bits were OK between villages but as soon as a town appeared it was standing traffic, once in St Dizier for an hour and in Troyes we crawled stop start through for about 2 hours Sad . The romantic concept of lovely roadside cafe's and bistro's just does not hold true, most of France is /was shut on a Saturday Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nessy, we have friends in Lux so if we decide to stop overnight we do the Lux/Belgium route, otherwise we just stick to the autoroutes in France, which are a joy to drive on imo. The problem with the Lux/Belgium route is Begium and the Belgians Sad But I have to agree about the Reims-Calais stretch - dull as ditchwater! You want a DVD to pass teh time as the driver LOL

Another idea here - when we travelled when I was a kid my parents used to write a scavenger hunt for me. I found that good as it focused my attention outside the car whereas if I read for too long in a car I would begin to feel sick (and I don't get travel sick)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out the RAC website for kids games (car bingo etc)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, stevo_the_saddler,
As they both say, stick to the Autoroute. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
I think they had some heavy snow up there last winter - what's it like then?

The two or theree times we did it just after snow was no problem, and the ski lifts are open as you pass so it can really up the excitement. We did only go through once while it was snowing, again no problem, but the snow ploughs need to beat you to it.

I think the youngest in the car was 14ish whenever we drove down, so it might not work for younger kids avoiding the autoroute. However the only town we got stuck in was Rheims otherwise we've generally avoided anything that large except round the Dijon bypass and of course, Geneva. However we were going to Courmayeur so our route may have been different to all the others mentioned here:

Calais->Reims Autoroute, then Chalons-en-Champagne -> Vitry-le-Francois -> Brienn-le-Chateau -> Chaumont -> Langres -> (Dijon sometimes) Dole (we *may* have gone via Besancon once) -> Poligny -> Champagnole -> Morez -> Gex -> Geneva -> MB Tunnel -> Courmayeur.

Generally te same route, but we did vary it at times, depending on where we chose to stay the night.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fraserp wrote:
boredsurfin, stevo_the_saddler,
As they both say, stick to the Autoroute. snowHead

I agree. Pleasant as the D roads usually are, they are slower even at their best, and if time is of the essence, as it usually is, autoroutes are going to be the best bet. It is sometimes worth cutting off a corner or avoiding a particularly jammed bit if you know of it, but otherwise, I'd stick to autoroutes.

If you have the luxury of 2+ nights to get there (or back), non autoroute driving becomes a more attractive option.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The thing I hate about Reims to Calais, is the KM marker posts which count down every 0.1 KM all the way down to (I think) 0.3. Given they start at 250 or something it takes FOR EVER!!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe we should stop moaning about the boring bit between Calais and Reims,this lady is looking for encouragement.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris wrote:
The thing I hate about Reims to Calais, is the KM marker posts which count down every 0.1 KM all the way down to (I think) 0.3. Given they start at 250 or something it takes FOR EVER!!!!

BUT they are very useful for pointing out the radar guns particularly the one at 38.6 just before you get to the Calais Peage where the Gendarmes come and collect your speeding fine from you wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, you misunderstand me - I like the drive from Calais to Reims! I'm off on holiday, we're in France, its exciting. Reims to Calais is more I'm going home, I've got to go to work tomorrow, I want to be skiing again.

Its not so much the drive as the state of mind wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Cal -Reims is ok...its two hours and you know you have got off to a good start outbound and its not far home inbound... I think its the easiest part of the journey for those reasons.

I like driving to the alpes, apart from the train it's the best way to travel, for me, as long as you aren't crammed in the vehicle. Use a long-legged car, a good cruiser and its a doddle.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, I love the drive. I would love to get the train too, but the hassle of crossing London with bags would be horrendous.Flight to Paris,and the sleeper train is OK though, (or my sons though so).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Roll on St Pancras. I will certainly give it a bash once it gets going.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, definitely.
snow report
Quote:
but the hassle of crossing London with bags would be horrendous

It's actually quite (usually) quick and easy in a taxi. But yes, once St Pancras is sorted it'll be even easier.
snow report
Surely there must be a huge market for direct trains from London to other destinations than Paris? I for one would pay good money for a direct Winter train to Chambery, Geneva or Annecy. Or in the summer direct to La Rochelle, Bordeaux and Nice. However are there 'political' reasons why wouldn't happen? Surely in light of climate concerns governments should be doing more to encourage rail travel?
ski holidays
micksup,
Quote:

Surely in light of climate concerns governments should be doing more to encourage rail travel?

Quite, it's ridiculous that it remains cheaper to drive by car than go by train Confused
snow conditions
eng_ch, IMHO the quickest route to Calais from our neck of the woods is Basel - Nancy - Bar le Duc - Reims - Calais. Only the last section is on a toll autoroute. If you take the Strasbourg - Metz - Reims autoroute route it is quite a bit further. The Basel - Nancy bit is currently a bit slower than it might be until they re-open the tunnel at Sainte Marie aux Mines.

fraserp, maybe heading to Geneva it is as short on the motorways. Heading for Basel, staying on autoroutes involves quite a lot of extra KM that may not even save any time leave alone the extra fuel and toll cost.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Boris wrote:

BUT they are very useful for pointing out the radar guns particularly the one at 38.6 just before you get to the Calais Peage where the Gendarmes come and collect your speeding fine from you wink

have you noticed how it counts down and then once you have got to zero there is still another 10km to go to get to Calais Port or the tunnel Laughing
ski holidays
nessy, I did west Zurich to West Kent in 10 hours door to door once going via Strasbourg on the autoroutes and not going over 140 Smile There is a cut up from just below Strasbourg to Saverne but we've not found it yet. I actually like pootling along the stretch between Strasbourg and Metz, usually empty roads. But then enjoyment and speed aren't necessarily the same goals. We did Metz - Nancy - Mulhouse back one time bnut found it very slow and much more tiring and it only saves about 6 EUR in tolls anyway. Different strokes and all that.
latest report
Quote:

most of France is /was shut on a Saturday

and don't even try to get a meal, or a hotel room except the big chains, on a Sunday.........
snow conditions
pam w, or a nice Chambre d'Hote in Champagne!!!
snow conditions
skinutter wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
Boris wrote:

have you noticed how it counts down and then once you have got to zero there is still another 10km to go to get to Calais Port or the tunnel Laughing

Being old I can explain this one! The motorway used to end where the numbers stop! then they built the next bit going past the ferry terminal and then on to the tunnel Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

it's ridiculous that it remains cheaper to drive by car than go by train

even more ridiculous, three weeks ago when we flew from Heathrow we got a private taxi return, from our front door, which was cheaper than taking the rail/coach link via Woking from Havant station 4 miles away....
snow report
I am currently organising for 4 possibly 5 people to Les Arcs. Boys 'long weekend' ( ok 5 days..the SO calls it a "short week") We have decided on the train. One person is flying in from MadrId, but wants to get train back to UK with rest of us

(plus various other interesting travel combos, including possible North American journet leg: you know what it's like when you do these things: one day I will arrange a multi-party skiing trip and all will be easy. The following week, I will solve Middle East conflict, world poverty and famine. And then Hell will freeze over...still, bound to be some good runs down there.).

Rail Europe (bless)

London -> Bourg -> London £129 (change in Paris) . Cushty.
BSM- > London (ie return 1/2 of journey only, also Paris change) £160

What in the name of all that is holy is that all about?!

PS since they don't ask for names on the tickets (hello Osama...) I've just bought the return ticket option , for who knows with all the multiple fafffing going on, someone is bound to want to use it, and if they don't, I have a spare seat for my new boots...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy