Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Convince me....driving?

Poster: A snowHead
Mr C is trying to convince me that a drive down to La Clusaz is a good idea. Before I let him book the Eurotunnel tickets can anyone explain what we do for 7.5 hours with bored kids etc?

Cheers

Lisa
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I Spy?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depends how old they are...... although in car dvd player works a treat for all ages....... used one for a few years not a peep until they need the loo. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lisach, Well 7.5 hrs should see you out of London and through the tunnel. I would allow 10 hrs once on the other side.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, only takes us 10 to Serre Chevalier (from Calais), I would have thought 7.5 or 8 hrs about right once they cross the channel for La Clusaz. lisach, we travelled with younger kids, stopped overnight on the way, decent break at lunchtime, and a set of magnetic games. Some family 'I spy' type games helped too.

Some of the favourites were 'I went to market' and 'My Grandma's Cat' .

The following ones are from my kids

A pack of cards is a good one, and a large bag of sweets. A portable DVD player, some audio books (Terry Pratchetts kids ones are good) or a playstation or Nintendo Gameboy (pick up some cheap ones on ebay if they're young, and don;t need the latest gadgets.).

Their dad still need entertaining on the journey.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 10-10-06 22:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lisach, Ignore frosty! It's 13 hours door to door from here to La Plagne and 12 hours back! Depends which part of London you are, knock off an hour!

Journey times based on only stopping for petrol or if stopping, fill up with petrol go to loo etc, not seperate stops for each Toofy Grin wink

Depending on kids ages Games DVD MP3 players, sleep etc or help the journey go quicker, you could always add in an overnight stop to make the journey more part of the holiday www.hotelbb.fr have very reasonable en-suite family rooms.
Dont forget you have to have snowchains for the car by law!

Oh yes big box of sweets but kept in the front and 'issued' !! Toofy Grin

Slightly embaressed to say we have driven to La Clusaz twice in the past but can only remember the skiing was good and that there is a large car park Embarassed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 10-10-06 22:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dope them
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My favourites are the audio books. Keeps everyone occupied.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I meant the 7.5 hours from Calais...... 12-13 hours hmm... getting worried now!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Booze has to be the answer. (for you, because then you won't hear the kids wink )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lisach, 12 /13 hours door to door, Wiltshire to La Plagne including the crossing time Toofy Grin

No early hours airport check in only for flight to be delayed, no scrambling round Gatwick and walking miles lugging all that luggage along wondering if the surcharges are more than the flight, no hanging around baggage re-claim worrying that the baggage handlers have beaten up your bags and stolen the contents , no racing about trying to keep the kids together with the bags to find transfer coach!
No sitting on the coach waiting for the Manchester flight to arrive, no elongated coach journey to drop off 2 people in a resort you have never heard of.
NO getting up at 5 am to get to the airport for a 3pm flight because the traffic is always bad etc etc etc etc Toofy Grin

In your car at your speed to your own timetable Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 10-10-06 22:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've done several long journeys in France, winter and summer with kids aged from 7 to 12 (this summer), no problem (well certainly no more than in the same length of time at home). The best recipe for harmony is some decent story tapes/CDs (Lord of the Rings, His Dark Materials, Alex Rider stories, are decently long), although this summer we didn't have them (we chatted quite a lot instead and the daughter listened to her MP3). If you can't face the stories yourself (I enjoy them), make sure that the kids have walkmans (and plenty of batteries). Regular sweetie rations help.

I quite enjoy the long drives, even on the motorway. It's a good opportunity to chat with kids and the OL, but it's the story CDs that did the trick.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Telepeage is also a big bonus (and big boys toy) in France Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=382749&highlight=telepeage#382749

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 10-10-06 22:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lisach, 538 miles from Calais to La Clusaz so a fair bit nearer than La Plagne so 8-9 hrs should se you there.

boredsurfin, Why an hour less on the way home? Puzzled

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 10-10-06 22:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, Time differnence France an hour ahead wink Toofy Grin
We leave at 8am and are home 8pm sometimes 7/7.30
snow conditions
Was hoping that was not going to be the answer (shakes head gently from side to side) wink

HA just thought that would make a 2 hr differance Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, No 'cos of the crossing! In round terms we get on the shuttle in France at 5.30 and get off in Kent at 6.00 Very Happy

But going of course get on at 8 get off at 10.30 (In round terms)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-10-06 22:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
La Clusaz must be one of the easiest drives.... From Calais 8 hrs is a slow time. You must have stopped a lot, hit a traffic jam or wasted time to achieve that. If you are slick, get food and and a couple of drinks stops whilst you are refueling and drive a smart pace...110kph, then you should do a lot better. Calais to Geneva is easily achievable in 6 hrs and the resort would be 40 mins away.... 7 hrs with not much effort but you don't hang around too much

It would be good if you could get them to sleep most of the time... I do...!!!
ski holidays
lisach, We've done loads of long trips with kids over the years - they're grown up now - but on the way they were always excited at the prospect of the holiday & on the way back, usually exhausted & looking forward to getting home again. I dont know how old yours are, but with books/walkmen/ipods/DVDs etc & plenty of sustenance as the others have suggested, I would think it was infinately preferable to flying! We've spent hours waiting for the fog to clear at Chambery, & by the time you've factored in the check in times, getting to the airport & then from the airport to the resort, having waited for not only yours, but everyone elses luggage to arrive. 7.5 - 8hrs in your car seems a luxury! Print off your directions on via Michelin which tells you where to find the speed cameras. Have a good trip! Very Happy
snow report
My preference is to drive, but those who claim short times have presumably never had the good fortune to encounter other traffic, roadworks or adverse weather. Sometimes the road between Albertville and Moutiers is solid, for example. On a return from Les Carroz once it took me 4.5 hours to reach Beaune Shocked
snow conditions
Yoda, Yep and I crawled around Lyon for 4 hours in a blizzard our 2nd serious delay in over 15 years of driving to the Alps in Winter. Confused
ski holidays
Thanks all, nearly convinced now! In the past we have flown and been lucky with no delays and good onward connections but as many have said bearing in mind checkin, waiting, baggage, car hire collection/or transfer we are talking about a similar time anyway. The train made a nice change this year but again total journey time is not too different - if I exclude the hour to Folkstone.

I suppose the counter argument will be bad weather, but that could hamper flights too although not the train.

We plan to break the journey back in a B&B Hotel as they are great value, was thinking as close to Reims as we can and get a lunchtime Shuttle back which are cheaper.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 10-10-06 22:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yoda, Should an injury be sustained on the slopes, difficult to drive home it is.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Yoda, Yep and I crawled around Lyon for 4 hours in a blizzard our 2nd serious delay in over 15 years of driving to the Alps in Winter. Confused

And I bet the flights weren't landing either! The airport coaches still have to do the Albertville - Moutiers route & will be as delayed by traffic as the cars.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Yoda, Should an injury be sustained on the slopes, difficult to drive home it is.

This eventuality is covered in our insurance but when it did happen I chose to drive all the way back, with suitable rest breaks whilst wife travelled home by air with injured daughter.
snow report
lisach wrote:

We plan to break the journey back in a B&B Hotel as they are great value, was thinking as close to Reims as we can and get a lunchtime Shuttle back which are cheaper.

Thats a good solution. There's a good Logis in Reims called Hotel Bristol, which is very easy to find & even easier to get back to the main road to Calais the next morning. One of the main town car parks is virtually under the hotel, so no problems parking either. 2.5 - 3 hrs to Calais from there.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, true my young friend, but automatic gearbox I have. When writing hand light sabred, Chip and PIN lifesaver they are snowHead
snow report
lisach,

as per Geri, throughly recommend the Logis group for stop-overs: http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk

a community of family run hotels, extremely good vfm and some fantastic food, as well as being child friendly. We tend to stop slightly further south after getting a morning shuttle, about 6 hours driving into France (heading for Les Arcs). But they are all good (and a well kept secret until now...)

Making it part of the Holiday is a good idea, and allows you to take it relatively easy, with unnecessary stress levels reduced (you're not working up a sweat at every toll booth Q thinking of valuable time being lost, will I won't I make the train? etc.etc. ).

Go for it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I now always drive when I'm going to europe unless the destination is major airport hub. Dont have kids though. The child element is only part of the issues you may face, having said that I'll drive anytime. It's not a short hop, or quick journey. Only you can estimate the effect on family. Be realistic on the timeframe and factor in a contingency. You can make the journey easier with good preparation, both you, family AND the car!

Child distractions - are a must, books/walkmen/ipods/DVDs etc & plenty of food and drink. Defiantely head phonesfor them though! (allow for additional rest stops) Maybe do what a friend did, and on that first 'are we there yet' question pull out out a 'tested' portable DVD! Kept them quite for hours, that just him testing it before hand! If Vyoung, cheap distractions usually work. If the kids are old enough to appeciate the fact that they are abroad, get them a speak French CD or DVD, they should get a buzz out of the experience and probably be better at French than me! As with adult kids, dont give them all the toys at once! Milestones (Firsts) on the journey can assist, first trip in the chunnel (under the sea, still amazes me!), First French person, Toll booths, mountains, snow. Get them to buy sometiming in the shops! Friends kids got well into french childrens comics, hours of endless fun! They were about 5 or 6 at the time.

Timeframe Be realistic - Consider, UK side, time to chunnel, plus 2 hrs to arrive in Calais, you very rarely drive straight on unless you pay a premium. From Calais, expect 530 mils ish and at least 7 1/2 hrs. In France allow time for fuel \ rest stops and toll booths. If weekend, particulary school holidays, there can be major delays near popular resorts, similar to a UK bank holiday frenzy. Remember it will be winter and the weather can get in the way. Get reliable maps, co driver and a sat nav with european maps that you are comfortable in using. Combine any stops, or you'll loose lots of time there.

Really depends when you leave Calais? If early AM then do-able in one day and the vast majority in day light. If later, then have an overnighter on the way, arrive in resort the next day.

Vehicle - Make sure the vehicle is up to the job, get it serviced and Anitfreeze checked. It can be cold over there, hopefully! wink Consider, recovery Ins, snow chains, alpine diesel, under-cover parking in resort, road tolls, speed cameras, Sat Nav, maps. Lots more advise in regards to cars in other postings, wont bore you with any detail here.

Return journey - Expect this to be a bit of a let down, less anticipation. If Sunday travel, remember most of France is closed so have supplies ready before journey.

Against airport travel - Being part of a cattle drive! Usually v early starts, upheval at airport, lugging baggage, the wait for the flight, delays outside your control. Lost baggage, wating on others. If weather bad enough to spoil your drive them the same will be affecting the flights and airport transfers. Limited baggage allowance. Oh, when driving, you can use the return to pick up fags and booze in France. Allow space in vehicle though, pls dont overload.

Be well rested, and dont rush. If you are relaxed about it that should filter down to the family. IMHO, its all about the preparation and the plus's out-weigh the negatives. Good luck! snowHead
snow report
Quote:

alpine diesel

Yes, just learning about this, only done one winter with diesel. The local service stations (e.g. Albertville) say their diesel is OK to minus 15, but it can be colder than that especially in open, at night. They sell an additive but is there such a thing as "alpine diesel"? We didn't buy additive, and had no problems last winter, which wasn't very cold, especially as we now have undercover parking. The previous, perishingly cold, winter our elderly petrol Toyota lived outdoors all winter and started first time, every time. Don't go with a dodgy battery. It's worth paying extra for undercover parking if it's available, lisach.

The posts here give a good feel for the different approaches people have to the journey. Those advising a more relaxed approach, stops, making it enjoyable, have my vote. Nothing worse than having Dad tapping his foot, looking at his watch and recalculating his ETA when the four year old wants to spend an extra 5 minutes looking at the animated Santa Claus display in the motorway service area shop. I wish portable DVDs had existed when my kids were young, but story tapes were great; "The Sheep Pig", for example, kept the whole family entranced all the way down the M6 one day. However, with small kids, for one week, I think the arguments are finely balanced and we generally flew on one week holidays when they were small (we did some overnight coaches, which were cheap and character building, too). Don't underestimate the cost of driving, when chains, covered parking, overnight stops, extra European breakdown insurance etc are included. Probably more than average flights for 4, less than expensive flights. And have warm clothes for everyone, immediately accessible, in case you have to bail out.

One factor to consider is in-resort convenience. A car is just a pain in some places (e.g. La Plagne?) and pretty useful in others (e.g. Chamonix, though you'd need ski racks of some kind). I drive through La Clusaz a lot but haven't skied there - others will advise. But in peak times car parking can be difficult in most French resorts. Another consideration is date. I would personally avoid driving with small kids, or without them for that matter, to any of the French resorts for a Saturday/Saturday holiday in the peak February/March holidays. The inescapable conclusion is that there's just no easy way... But if you were looking for an easy life you wouldn't take kids skiing anyway, and you'd miss out on a great family experience you can share till they are grown up.
snow conditions
Buy portable DVD player
snow report
Consider the boat crossing breaks the journey, some where to eat also consider driving through the night while the children are asleep you get extra sking even if you are a little jaded the next day.
snow conditions
Night driving definitely although it will be a bit tiring with only 2 drivers. Kids will spend most of the time sleeping then. If they are using a DVD in the back get a couple of pairs of headphones since there's nothing worse for a driver than listening to the soundtrack of a movie and not being able to see the pictures - its very distracting Mad
ski holidays
My parents are wimps, they do the journey in 3 days Neutral good luck to you, try and make it seem an adventure for them. I love La Clusaz, went there for 3 years in a row, it's ace.
Chains are much cheaper, but them in any big enough supermarket in towns in or around the Alps, or we bought ours while going over the Jura.
snow report
What would you experienced drivers say was the total cost of driving to the Alps (including shannel crossing, petrol, tolls, extra insurance, parking etc etc)?
latest report
If I lived 4 hrs closer i would consider it. Early 2-3 am yes, but driving through the night, no way.
snow report
My difficulties with diesel are well-recorded elsewhere, but the stuff we used from the stations in the resort was fine, it was a trip to Turin that caused the problems. We had temperatures of -22 (and maybe even lower) after the fuel filter was replaced, and the car was fine.
crazy_skier_jules, we did it in 3 days when the kids were younger, and saw some nice places in France too. Now do it in 2, as we can't wait to get there Very Happy
snow report
I can't see me ever driving. This year we drove to Torquay (4 1/2 hours) and Aberdeen (6 hours) with the kids, no problems as the portable DVD worked very well. I'm not convinced I'd want to drive further though.

Usual trip? Hours drive to airport, drop off car and check in. About an hour or so for breakfast, shopping and a couple of beers Embarassed .

Flight usually on time. Get bored on flight so read, listen to music, chat and maybe have a couple of beers.

Land and be met by the bus hire people outside customs (or hire car pickup if it's just my family - and sadly scratch the earlier beers). Get in bus, drive for about an hour before stopping for beer and butties (I'm detecting a common thread now!) before another hour to resort.

Arrive early enough to pick up lift tickets, sort gear hire and all that stuff for an early start the next day. Have more beer and a bite to eat.

Massively less stressful than driving to me.
snow report
The 2 main reasons I dont drive are cost, and effort. With kids I can often get substantial discounts for a shared room. We enjoy decent chalet board and in 2005 and 2006 we left home at 02.30 and drove to Manchester, 06.30 flights, coach transfer and were unpacked in the chalet for 13.30, hire shop and on the slopes for 14.15 just over 11.5 hrs from North Yorkshire to the top of Mont de la Chambre. A late booking but £300. Fantastic.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro,

At a guess, because it all goes through someone else's business, I'd say about £250.00 for the car though France
Of course, the car is set-up for this with chains, legalities and yearly Euro breakdown etc.
For recent trips to Stuggart and Switzerland which is without a lot of tolls, less than £200.00..I swapped the costs for a World cup ticket....
Oh and I get deals across the channel so you might need to add the crossing.

We always do it in one hit and don't care if a day or night drive depends what suits us the other end. Driving through the night outbound doesn't really get you very far as you arrive in no fit state to ski...although we have done it... Driving back through the night isn't a problem. We generally have 3 drivers ready to take over, so thats why I say 6 hrs Calais -Geneva is easily done.
The gutty drive is from Macon onwards if you are going further south to Lyon/Chambery. And the final stages upto La Plagne, for example, you have just about had enough. Must be spoilt by all those drives to resorts around Geneva
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy