Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking accommodation in Canada (and any recommendatios for car hire)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We got a brilliant deal for a flight to Calgary with BA for next January/February and now starting to plan where we are going.

Does anyone know whether it is better to book our accommodation around now, later on, or just leave it until we get there. We are tempted to leave it until we are there so we have the freedom to follow the snow but are the prices likely to be more or less than booking now. Is it possible to get last minute deals. We are currently thinking of going to Lake Louise, Jasper, Kicking Horse and Fernie (been to Fernie and LL before but the other two are new for us).

Also can anyone recommend a good car hire place, we are currently being quoted £550 for 15 days for a 4x4.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd book the Fridays & Saturdays as this is when the crowds from Calgary hit the ski towns and stay flexible the rest of the time. Nice plan - maybe consider a day in Panorama between KH & Fernie.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount

Cheaper than usual. We had a 4x4, but didn't really need one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with Helen Beaumont - you'd be unlucky to need a 4x4
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhilipStanton If we are unlucky enough to need a 4x4 on the roads it usually means we will be very lucky on the slopes Very Happy There have been a couple of occasions when we have been to Canada where I would not have liked to have driven without a 4x4, fortunately those times we were not driving ourselves. There have also been loads of occasions where we would not need one at all but rather have on just in case.

Fatboy Think that might be a good idea. We are already sorted for the first weekend we are there as we are meeting up with people who are involved in our summer obsession, flyball (relay race for dogs) so only got the last weekend to sort.

We spent a week at Panorama last year where we had the best powder skiing we have had Very Happy so if conditions are right we might go back
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't help on the accomodation front, I'm afraid. When I've been to Canada in Feb/March (not UK half term), the resorts have been nowhere near full, which suggests that late deals should be on, but who knows?

We always used a 4x4 in Canada and never really needed it apart from one year, when of course we'd hired a proper car (we managed fine - the roads are very well ploughed - or plowed, as they quaintly put it), and far from everyone in western Canada drives a 4x4. Still, they're a good laugh, and it's a chance for we Londoners to drive about in 4x4s without looking total dorks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds fantastic Annie Very Happy

Maybe try Rent A Wreck for your vehicle hire LOL Razz

http://www.rentawreck.ca/

In all seriousness, they were good when I hired from them a few times while living in Vancouver a few years back - didn't hire 4x4s myself tho - for my Vancouver-Banff ski tour I went on the Greyhound or hitched rides, true ski-bum style! A quick email/quote to/from any places you find on the t'net should shed light.

I'd hire a 4x4 every time for touring around the Canadian mtn ranges in the winter thick - as you say Annie, safety, versatility, convenience, nice high seating view, more space for bags n gear usually.

I was travelling alone, so accommodation wise I had the freedom to not worry about booking anything (for the month of Jan). If you're on a budget or like to meet other folk, British Columbian and Albertan youth hostels are excellent. Banff/Lake Louise YH offer fantastically cut price saving on accomm costs - for eg, about £12 a night p/p; private dorm, 2 men, 2 women sharing. Anyone might be best to book for these two hostels, partic to get the best rooms. As said - weekends can be partic busy in Banff, Louise, Jasper. I don't know about Fernie, maybe someone else might - if I wasn't planning on staying in YHs, I would multiply my last minute per night accomm costs a fair bit - depending upon the resort/town/hotel or apartment luxury - I'd guess from £25 upwards - anyone else give more info here?

[The Okanagan valley is very reasonable - for skiing at Apex, near Penticton, Big White, near Kelowna, or Silver Star, near Vernon - highly recommend all three resorts for a few days’ skiing a piece.]

After 50cms of fresh white gold, skiing at Revelstoke is like finding a little lost jewel. When it comes to Canadian hols, I like flexibility, being able to go where the snow is best, linger where you're having fun, ride a few different mountain ranges, maybe save on accomm in Louise, then get a hot tub in Panorama... Your average Canadian is great when it comes to helping you out – I love the place – you can’t go far wrong whatever!

Cheers n enjoy! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try http://www.wheelsabroad.com/ for a "standard" 4x4 - don't know about Calgary, but they always seem to be the cheapest from Vancouver.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anniegirl, only been to canada twice but each time i've been grateful for a 4x4 either as a transfer or self drive.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with fatbob, book friday/sat nights and leave the rest free.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy