Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SLOVENIA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
has anyone skiied in Slovenia? Which are the best (& the worst!) resorts?

it's not one of those places where you get taken up the hill by donkey is it? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied in Slovenia and put a report in the resort report bit. We went to Rogla which was really nice, probably not so good for beginers or really experienced skiers as its quite a small area with mainly reds but everyone in my group had a great holiday. I found these websites useful when trying to decide what resort to go to.
http://www.slovenia.info/?smucanje=0
www.skiidex.com
I would definately reccommend it for people who loke a more adventurous holiday Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we went to slovenia this easter just gone. traveled around quite a bit and personaly think that mount kanin on the slovenia / italy border offers the best skiing/boarding. it has the highest lift in slovenia and will very soon be linked with italy (sella nevea ski resort) providing a fairly large ski-able area. its also only a short drive to kranjska gora which is currently the most popular area (but not really avery good slopes). kanin is the one to look at for the future ! snowHead too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to vogel/kobla which is branded bled/bohinj in the uk. I think I reported in the reports section somewhere - try searching.

Just about enough to keep you interested for a weekend, and good for beginners. Nice place but intermediates advanced would get bored pretty quickly I'm sure. I believe Kransja gora is bigger though...Country as a whole was very nice, not really 'buget' feeling Airports/customer service/costs etc all great - just a shame the mountains aren't a bit bigger!

aj xx
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
checked and never posted it so - rather belatedly Happy

Bled/Bohinj/Vogel/Kobla Jan 2006:

Just got back actually - as to whether I'd recommed it - it depends on what you are looking for. For beginners on a budget it's probably a good choice, as well as for nervous one or two week skiers who like to do the same runs again and again. For anyone who wants to get the miles in it would be far to small - vogel (the bigger area) has 4 reasonable length runs and half a dozen 300m-800m dashes. The smaller resort of vogel has just one main run, a red from top to bottom (a good length though) plus a diversionary blue at the top and a standalone 500m or so blue with a drag at the bottom.

The other thing it looked as though it might be good for is learning off piste - guides would be cheap and as they haven't pisted every possible reasonable gradient there looked to be plenty of gentle off piste to try? It isn't that well avalance protected though so a guide would be a necessity.

Vogel is like a mini france - above the tree line, spiky mountains covered in snow, skiing on ridges and in bowls or 'down the back of the mountain' back to the lake/gondola. Either good snow or ice depending on how lucky you are with the sun/weather.
Kobla is mini-austria - lower, tree lined hill with runs cut through the trees. Ice at top, good snow in the middle, a bit slushy at the bottom.

Bohinj is closer to the skiing, but quiet - one restaurant I saw, a decent small supermarket, plus a few hotels, a tourist office and a couple of dozen homes/chalets. But there is horse riding/carriage rides/ ice skating on the lake, cross country and an aqua park. Bled is a proper sized town, further to the skiing, but probably a lot more to do, it's also on a lake (a different one) and the views across that way are scneic, the town itself not so much! It's not hugely 'chocolate box', but there is a cute church, the chalets are all traditional low rise and there are views across the lakes.

Cost wise very cheap - 18E a day for a liftpass (less over a full week probably), on mountain food/drinks came to about 5E per person a day. Wine in the bar was 1E a small glass. The ski buses are free and seem to be on demand, either an espace, a renault master or a caravanelle.

Infrastructure is good (roads etc) all the cars were modern and well maintained, and the toilets would put many french and italien places to shame, so no feel of being in a 'budget' place - it all seems pretty up to date - except the lifts are old, slow, one and two man chairs - all on new cables etc though just a bit slow.

We stayed at the hotel jerezo, but in the old rooms (I think crystal guest are in the enw ones) which have a slight air of university halls of residence or something rather than luxury hotel. That wierd wiry carpet you get in offices sometimes, with a white, red and dark wood/brown colour theme. Rooms were large though, and comfy and the shower nice and hot! The newer rooms looked much posher and the food was nice, there is a 5m*20m(?) pool and as I mentioned free buses to the ski areas.

Hope that helps, if there is anything else you want to know just ask! Must go do some work though Happy

aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the replies everyone - i'm actually going to be teaching in Slovenia for a week or so next season but they haven't told me which resort yet. When i find out i'll ask for a bit more info.. Thanks again Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Resort in Slovenia is Kranjska Gora - anyone been there?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to Kranjska Gora several years ago, stayed at the hotel Alpina which is a ski in/out hotel. The Yugoslav slalom team were staying there at the time for training/racing. The resort has a world cup slalom giant slalom course. There are several hotels near the slopes, but it is not a resort for high mileage skiers. There is a ski jump in the resort also. The nightlife was quite good in the hotels but that was in the days when Yugotours used to provide groups and entertainers. It was possible to go to Arnoldstein in Austria by coach, but our trip was cancelled; TOO MUCH snow!! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for the reply - looking at the piste map it seems to be mostly drag lifts. Does anyone know if that's still the case? (ah well - at least it isn't donkeys & rope! wink )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

it seems to be mostly drag lifts

Mostly T bars when I was there and one single seateater chair lift rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thought slovenia was gonna be poor backward country but it is the exact opposite. Prob the best apartments i've stayed in anywhere. Excellent infrastucture, roads transport etc and amazing restaurants serving top quality food at very very reasonable prices. Went to kanin ski area which we was gonna do for a day before going white water rafting. When we got there it was a modern gondola to the ski area with new 4 seater chairlift, three 2 seaters and one drag. Not many lifts but the amount of terrain they cover is massive and some of the best i've ridden - bin boarding since 92' and spent 3-4 weeks each year at all the top French resorts. We went back in early March 07 with ski firm basealp ( www.basealp.com ) who sorted everything out for us including guides for an off piste trip over the Italian side of the mountain (sella nevea ski area). This was the best off piste experience i've ever had - ok we had 40" of fresh but the terrain was loopy - very steep with cliff drops chutes and jumps everywhere. The guides definatly know how to show you a good time!!! If you're sick of crowded big time resorts and all the fresh powder gone after a couple of hours then try this place. There are loads of neighbouring resorts (Nassfeld, Arnoldstein, Molltaller glacier - in Austria, Sella Nevea, Tarvisio - in Italy, and Vogel and Kranja Gora in Slovenia) a short drive away. Very friendly locals, very cheap food and booze and a weeks lift pass cost us £65 with free days at all the neighbouring resorts! Cant recomend it enough. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy