Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed - Val Thorens (Jan 26/27 to Feb 3)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wow, my first post on here! Going to be an essay so bear with me!

Me and a few mates are planning on a week in Val Thorens (Jan 26/27 to Feb 3). We've been to a couple of travel agents and they seem a bit expensive; especially since we're all recent graduates and are now poorer than when we were students! Very Happy Now comes the problem; we've decided to try book everything ourselves i.e. travel, transfers, accommodation, hire and lift passes and worse, I've been told to organise it! Need some help with most aspects of it.....

Dates: Jan 27/28 to Feb 3 2007
No. of People: Working figure of 8 at the moment, hoping more people will commit once we've got some exact costs.
Budget: £550 - £600 approx. per person (excludes drinking, we always manage to find money for drinking!)

Travel / Transfers:

We all want to fly out, living in Bournemouth, we've got two airports very close by i.e. Bournemouth and Southampton, with easyJet and FlyBe flying from each respectively. Some of us have also got our own eqipment - what do airlines charge?

Bournemouth to Geneva - Outbound £97.99 AM flight or £21.99 PM flight + taxes
Return: £51.99 AM flight or £65.24 PM flight + taxes

Southampton to Chambery - return costs £221.18 + £42.80 taxes person

As you can see, flying from Bournemouth would be cheaper, but what about transfers? I know that Chambery is very close to VT and the transfers would be quicker and cheaper. As opposed to Genva which would take longer and be more expensive, and possibly use up the savings we'd make if we flew to Chambery. Anyone had any experiences of transfers to Geneva / Chambery to VT? Coach, private transfers or hire car; and how to go about booking for them?

Willing to keep in mind other airports and airlines as well, if they work out cheaper.

Accommodation:

We want to keep the accommodation costs cheap(ish), I've looked on the VT site and it seems to be very helpful, anyone know any other sites which might be good? And any experiences of accommodation in VT? I went with uni a couple of times to VT - but alas I can't remember what apartments we stayed in, but they were the bog standard, squeeze 5 people into a room meant for 3!

Self catering apartments will be the cheapest, but nothing is exactly set in stone and I'm trying to get a range of options for my friends to choose from; ranging from cheapest possible to having some comforts like breakfast or being able to ski to/from accommodation. Any suggestions here?

Hire / Lessons:

Not a clue how much hiring will cost realistically; we've all skiied before, during school, uni trips and dry slope, so we're all fairly competent skiers. Does £50-60 sound about right? And I'm guessing it's best to wait till you get in resort?

Liftpass:
Cheaper if we order and pay online before we get there? Definatey getting the 3 valley pass, 3 valley rally with beer stops? Gotta be done!

Insurance:
With the drinking and skiing going to happen, insurance is a must! Other trips I've been on, I've just paid for the one that comes as part of the package... so no clue here!

Essay over! I've probably forgotten something big tho! Very Happy

Thanks in advance,
C
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads Cee, snowHead

I know the ropes around VT reasonably well since the EoSB was there last April and will be there again next April.

I'd say the biggest bugbear with DIY trips to that part of the Alpes is the potential transfer hassle/costs. From GVA it's a bitch (IMO). A lot of people tend to hire cars but, between the hire cost, fuel and parking for the week, its not cheap - and what a waste: hiring for a week just to have the thing sit in a garage. We hired a bus for the Eosb but we had the bods to fill it.

IMO the best approach is via Train to Moutiers, at the foot of the Valley, then get a scheduled bus up the hill (~24€ rtn).
Possible routes include:
Shampton -fly- Chambery :: Chambery -train- Moutiers (~12€ e/w)

somewhere -fly- Paris :: Paris -sleeper- Moutiers (~40-50€ e/w)

Shampton -train- Waterloo :: Wat -Euro*- Paris :: PAris -sleeper- Moutiers

Of course, there are day trains but by using the sleepers u get 2 days extra snowTime.
Also trains don't charge extra for carrying skis.

It's not easy getting discounts off lift passes in the 3valleys - if u end up getting over 10 going, give me a shout ( PM Admin ) and I'll ask someone I know (but I think it may need over 20).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey admin, cheers for the reply - hadn't thought of the train but the possibility of getting extra days skiing in appeals to me loads, will have to suggest it to the guys. Think we're going to weigh up all our options, just wish people would commit! But knowing the exact numbers would help Shocked

I love VT, going in Jan will be the 4th week (2 previous uni trips, 1 week's repping) I've been there, maybe a 5th for EoSB! Very Happy

Cee
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cee, Thomsonfly go from Bournemouth to Grenoble - Just to add to the choice/confusion Laughing

http://www.thomsonfly.com

For accom Check out Erna Low who offer some good prices

www.ernalow.co.uk

Ski School
check out

www.prosneige.fr

Lift passes

We've always wandered down to the lift pass office and bought them there, so don't know if cheaper on-line. (Idoubt it)

Transfers

We always drive over, worth you considering it?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cee, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

How about a chalet rather than apartment if you're looking to keep costs down? Good deals can be found on chalets, although with 8 of you that may be a bit more restrictive. But at least you know then all your meals, apart from lunch are taken care of. When I've gone self-catering & stayed in apartment it ended up costing a fortune cos of course we didn't cook for ouselves and ate out at restaurants each night. Becomes expensive. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cee, I think end of January would be ripe for some good last minute deals. eg try iglu ski
snow report
 brian
brian
Cee, 8 is the perfect number for a private minibus transfer, eg.

http://www.thecoolbus.co.uk/

would do GVA->VT return for £58 per person. Train all the way would probably be good for extra days but I would personally avoid bus+train+bus multi-stage fannying about transfer from the airports. Hiring cars works out well but a bit pointless for VT as you won't need it while you're there and the private transfer is probably just as cheap.

Apartments - when I've priced them, Erna Low seem to add about a 20% mark up. Ski Collection seem a bit cheaper, or book direct with Pierre & Vacances or Maeva.

Hire - might be cheaper booked online, eg. www.twinner-sports.com, lift pass probably won't.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the replies guys, will have a look at those links later, or when I'm bored at work... not that I condone using company time to research and book holidays! Totally agree with the car hire, seems to be alot effort in terms of time and money for leaving a car in a car park for a whole week.

Cee
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy