Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lauterbrunnen - easy to access the ski region?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everybody - we are thinking of a taking a trip with a small company in January staying in Lauterbrunnen. I have read previous snowhead reports on the region and it certainly looks very picturesque. One of our party (we are 7 intermediate/good intermediate skiiers) is querying how easy/difficult it is to access the whole area - Murren, Wengen etc and thinks it may involve some train journeys. Any comments from people who know the area well would be much appreciated. Thanks Loatie Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loatie, yes, it involves train journeys to get up to Murren or Wengen/Klein Scheidegg. But, we are talking Swiss trains, and maybe 15-20 min journey times. Just think of it as the first lift up. If the conditions are good, you can ski down to Lauterbrunnen from the Murren side. From Wengen, it is a train back down again.

As I say, I treat it as the first/last lift of the day, except it's warm, seated and undercover.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loatie, I went to Lauterbrunnen in January this year. The trains to Wengen took 17 minutes to the village, where you could then walk about 200m through to the gondola up to Mannlichen (another 10mins ish) or it took 45 minutes in total if you stayed on the train all the way from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg. The trains ran about every 25 minutes or so and though they ran to time, there was inevitably a bit of waiting around beforehand.

We also had a bus (or 15 minute walk) at the Lauterbrunnen end, and for us the ski - door time was at least an hour.

The journey to Murren was marginally quicker and there will be a choice of two routes. We caught the bus to Stechelberg and then the cable cars up to the top station. If you are nearer the centre, it may be quicker to get the new cable car up and then the train along the top.

Who are you going with?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
loatie, I stayed in Wengen but I'd echo WTFH's points. The first access journey is no big deal - in Zermatt, for instance, many people don't ski to the valley and spend a bit of time on an access railway/funicular/gondola.

By enjoying the choice between Wengen and Murren you gain an advantage on those staying up the mountain who want to ski the other resort. In Wengen, don't miss the run from the Eigergletscher station, above Kleine Scheidegg. Wait a few minutes for a trainload of passengers to ski off and you'll have that beautiful run to yourselves.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are only three advantages to staying in Lauterbrunnen:

1.) Cost, it tends to be cheaper to stay there

2.) Convenience, because you are at roughly the mid point between Wengen and Murren you can choose to go to either location just as easily which can be useful if there are better conditions on one side of the valley

3.) Because the trains start at Lauterbrunnen you have a better chance of getting a seat at busy times

The disadvantage is that you can only ski down from the Murren side and that is subject to there being enough snow
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very useful feedback guys.Some of our group like to ski from dawn to dusk and scorn those who stop for lunch when they can eat whatever they've plundered from the breakfast buffet on the lifts to maximise ski time.Might they feel like shooting me when faced with the time it takes to access the skiing here.
Ray Zorro we were looking at ski miquel chalet hotel Rosa
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
loatie, we're only talking about an extra 15 or 20 mins in the morning compared to being in one of the higher resorts plus you will always be able to get on the trains up, something that isn't always the case in Wengen
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
loatie, Not necessarily, if you start early and are prepared to get back to your chalet later, then there is no reason why you couldn't ski as long as those based in Murren or Wengen. At the end of a hard day's ski on the journey back, it is quite pleasant to have a doze on the train or bus.

Not sure where hotel rosa is so can't help on the distance/time hotel to station.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
loatie, Layterbrunnen village is a bit strung out, so i would check how far your hotel is from the station as you could be faced with a wait for the bus or a 15 minute walk in ski boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
loatie, with the new cablecar from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp starting in December (http://w3.jungfraubahn.ch/webcam/) and then a small journey by train to Winteregg you can be on the Murren slopes within 10 minutes.

As D G Orf states depending on time of year you can ski back down to Lauterbrunnen from Winteregg and now that they have made the run back down to Lauterbrunnen a marked piste they will be covering it more with snow cannons. Take a look at the latest piste map on Murren http://www.schilthorn.ch/index.php?uid=52

As mentioned above you are in the best position to access both resorts and im sure your group will have an excellent time.

ps. Murren is better Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
loatie, if you get the 1st train up to Kleine Schidegg of a morning (around 6.30 am) you can start skiing way before the lifts open!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, if they do they will need to take a torch, it will still be dark till almost 8am in January Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First train is 6.55 am from Lauterbrunnen, arriving at Kleine Scheidegg 7.38.
Connecting train to Eigergletcher leaves at 7.55 arriving up at 8.05, so should have light Wink

Not sure they'll let you go on that train with skis though, as it probably won't be the ski-express train to Eigergletcher Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It does make you even less likely to ski the far side of the Grindlewald valley, but it's not a big loss. Many (most?) people who stay in Wengen never get accross the valley to ski Murren. I must say, though, that Wengen is a really lovely place to stay.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ronald wrote:
Connecting train to Eigergletcher leaves at 7.55 arriving up at 8.05, so should have light Wink

Not sure they'll let you go on that train with skis though, as it probably won't be the ski-express train to Eigergletcher Wink

crumbs....over an hour before you get to ski in the morning compared to 15 mins tops to ski in Murren wink
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
It does make you even less likely to ski the far side of the Grindlewald valley, but it's not a big loss. Many (most?) people who stay in Wengen never get accross the valley to ski Murren. I must say, though, that Wengen is a really lovely place to stay.

so many people miss out on Murren...thats a real shame
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
Ronald wrote:

crumbs....over an hour before you get to ski in the morning compared to 15 mins tops to ski in Murren wink

Almost Chris, Almost. 15 mins, to the bottom of the Winteregg chair, which ain't a rediculously fast chair.

Murrens strength is the Engetal valley imho which takes a bit longer to get to Smile

Lauterbrunnen Kleine scheidegg is 45 mins, the Eigergletcher adds a lot of time in early morning cus teh connection sucks at KS Wink

Lauterbrunnen Mannlichen is like 23 mins ideally Wink
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:

Don't forget that this thread is all about time - it is important not to exagerate on this. From the link that you put up yesterday, the Winteregg chair takes 10mins. I don't know how long the new cable + train journey will take, but if Ronald is suggesting 15 mins then that sounds reasonable. Loatie must then add in walking time at Lauterbrunnen and waiting at the bottom for the next cable car and messing about between cable car and train and train to chair.

I would estimate that the accommodation to ski time in Murren will be a minimum of 30 mins + walking distance to the cable car at the Lauters end.
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

Don't forget that this thread is all about time - it is important not to exagerate on this. From the link that you put up yesterday, the Winteregg chair takes 10mins. I don't know how long the new cable + train journey will take, but if Ronald is suggesting 15 mins then that sounds reasonable. Loatie must then add in walking time at Lauterbrunnen and waiting at the bottom for the next cable car and messing about between cable car and train and train to chair.

I would estimate that the accommodation to ski time in Murren will be a minimum of 30 mins + walking distance to the cable car at the Lauters end.

30 mins seems fair as the cablecar takes 2.5 minutes and the train to winteregg takes 5 mins.
snow conditions
Ronald wrote:

Murrens strength is the Engetal valley imho which takes a bit longer to get to Smile

Lauterbrunnen Kleine scheidegg is 45 mins, the Eigergletcher adds a lot of time in early morning cus teh connection sucks at KS Wink

Lauterbrunnen Mannlichen is like 23 mins ideally Wink

I agree one of Murrens skiing strengths is the Engetal valley (now with another 4 seater chair!!)and the attitude and rightly said does take a bit longer to get there but winteregg is a good starting point just to actually ski and warm up.

plus you get to see how low Wengen is from there..(sorry,had to put that in Toofy Grin )

Ray - will keep to the thread...sorry wink
latest report
Lets not forget that the scenery everywhere in the Jungfrau region is simply stunning. Wether you visit Wengen, Murren or Grindelwald.

I didn't realise Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg trainride took 45 minutes until I actually looked at the timetables. It was simply a joy every time, so time really doesn't matter much. (And I am the Dawn to Dusk type...)
latest report
Ronald, 110% agree. The Jungfrau Region is amazing.
snow report
The best way to get to KS is to train to Wengen, cablecar up Manlichen and then ski....if the cable car times right, you can just about beat the train.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy