Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Best Resort Brochure

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Back in 2000 I managed to wander round the world travel market, the travel industry trade show, I picked up gazillions of brochures from the tourist offices of lots of resorts. From Lebanon, via Georgia, to the more usual destinations. It kind of kicked off an interest in how the resorts market themselves

More recently I've been hacking around the resort sites of US resorts and Ive noticed a very different way of selling the resort. its more hard sell. I've just received the paper brochures and DVDs from the ones I fancy a visit too.

What's suprising is how poor the design of the brochure are. Dense text, lots of confused call-outs, boxes, mixed fonts. A bit 80s. I recall that Val Thorens Office du Toursime used to produce a cracker of a brochure. Art paper, very skillful photography and so subtle photoshopping you didn't notice it. the sublime big moutain images and powder pictures really made the proposition that VT was for real sports enthusiasts rather than the hoards (which it can actually handle) I also recall the Les Arcs used to do very outre design work back in the 80s.

Ski Peak also need a pat on the back for Vaujany- singlehandedly putting it on the map. High prices but a high quality produce

Anyone have favourite brochures? Worst brochures? Which ones do you look forward to getting?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SussexSnow, I'd agree with you that the VT brochure about 2-3 years ago was an exceptionally well produced document - it really made you want to be there, and I haven't seen a better one. The one for the past couple of years wasn't so good, IMHO. I haven't seen this year's VT one yet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SussexSnow, I remember a good brochure from La Plagne in about 2000 and am very happy with the 2006/7 La Rosiere brochure as it's helping me dream about where I am going.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SussexSnow, I've been quite impressed with the last couple of winter and summer brochures for Les Arcs, although I have no graphic design experience so I might be talking out of my hat. The brochures seem to have high production values, with decent quality paper, glossy panel overlays on some of the photos, great photography (although anyone who knows the resort will spot the photoshopping). The 2007 brochures are downloadable as pdfs (Resort brochure and Accommodation brochure).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best resort - brochure.

C'mon you know which one it is!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My flatmate is on the Valmorel brochures and website!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have only seen 1 better brochure that the La Rosiere winter brochure - The La Rosiere Summer brochure of course Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy