Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Excitement

Poster: A snowHead
You know what helps me to get through this difficult time of waiting for my first ski holiday? Sitting in my armchair with a ski mag, a nice hot cup of chocolate (or wine, but cold), and christmas music!!!! soooo excited Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robert, ....you may need to consider getting out more......... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you tried sitting on a chairlift? You can sometimes buy old ones and hang them off the living room ceiling if it's strong enough.

If it isn't strong enough, the ceiling comes down like an avalanche.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 9-10-06 13:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robert_dorling, you could give a snowdome a go as well snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robert_dorling, I've got a gondola cabin you can have for the right price. You'll have to arrange shipping from southern France. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... or Venice
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never understood why they're called 'gondolas'. Bubbles and eggs I can understand.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it's because Venetian skiers used to carry their equipment by canal.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, no idea but I thought "telecabine" was a bit too poncey for this site.

It's actually identical to this (complete with ski racks and the same colour) but is in my garden not hanging from a cable:

Wikipedia
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ben wright, ....surely they must have missed it eventually........ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC, the chap in the red jacket was a bit confused for a while.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ben wright, I use 'gondola' too, along with all the other variations. IF Mrs L were to allow me to buy a gondola, it would be in that colour!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ben wright wrote:
It's actually identical to this (complete with ski racks and the same colour) but is in my garden not hanging from a cable.

Ah, you have a gondola tree. Does it fall off in autumn?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does it stem from a time when they might have been open topped? E.g. open-topped cars were called gondolas, and the name became more generalised? A gondola is a name for an open-topped transport (probably from the Venetion boats) esp. on railways.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skanky, good theory! There's a curious bucket-like lift at Flaine.
snow report
laundryman, if anyone knows some history of lifts, they might be able to shed some light on it (partly because there's no roof). wink
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, no but sometimes it shrivels up in cold weather.

laundryman, do you mean a telebenne? Like this one on www.amorzine.com

ski holidays
Quote:

do you mean a telebenne?

Those things have always sent a shiver down my spine, they look far too medieval, like some weird torture thing, but hey if they take you the right way up the mountain...
snow report
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zqiu/Pics/cage.jpg
ski holidays
martski, they move at about the same speed as continental drift. There's one up at La Foux but luckily there are a couple of chairs that you can take to get to roughly the same place and although the top of the 'benne is in the building that the gondola up to the top goes from it's still quicker to take one of the chairs and ski back down to the gondola station.
ski holidays
Quote:
they move at about the same speed as continental drift

So do the mountains,... Shocked wink
latest report
As well as Flaine, there are some open ones in a group of 6 (I think) on the way down the mountain from VT. Maybe Les Menuires?
ski holidays
RachelQ, yes, they cross over the road in Les Menuires - not sure the name of the lift - croisette or reberty I think.
latest report
When I first started skiing, gondolas had a roof but no windows but you sat down in them. You were enclosed by a basic metal shell.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
When I first started skiing, gondolas had a roof but no windows but you sat down in them. You were enclosed by a basic metal shell.

..... and dinosaurs roamed the earth.
snow conditions
There is another telebenne high on the mountain in Alagna (unless they changed it in the last 2 years)
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
skanky, good theory! There's a curious bucket-like lift at Flaine.

When I was in Flaine a few years ago, the holiday rep referred to these as "yogurt pots", which I think is a good descriptive name Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, 'Yogurt Pots' must be 'Generic' then...!

They have relations at Peisey Nancroix in Paradiski.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They have them going through the town at Alpe d'Huez, although a bit bigger than the ones pictured
snow report
laundryman, as a very noviec skier, I fell off the back of those yougurt pots as I tried to get on.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
laundryman, as a very noviec skier, I fell off the back of those yougurt pots as I tried to get on.

Whereas as an experienced skier you fell off the T-Bar at Castleford NehNeh plus ça change wink
latest report
Helen, .......your untimely departure from the 'pot' has conjured up a very 'Inspector Cluseau type image' ...... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
BernardC,
Quote:

.......your untimely departure from the 'pot' has conjured up a very 'Inspector Cluseau type image' ......

"not now Kato can you not see i am falling from a yoghurt pot? "
snow report
If anyone wants to purchase a used gondola a bit nearer to home, the Heights of Abraham lift at Matlock Bath has updated theirs. When I was there back in the summer, the old ones were lying around in the car-park apparently unloved.

snowHead
snow report
Whether in a gondola,telecabine on a button lift or T-bar
Quote:

and christmas music!!!!
Shocked
should not be listened to in october... bah humbug! Do you own a department store that has already overlooked Halloween and Bonfire night and has started playing slade in order to cause me permanent damage Evil or Very Mad ??!!!!!

(But yes I am starting to get excited and we arent going until april!!! wink )
ski holidays
pielot, normally we get to have a "bah humbug" thread wink We're going on our first trip in February NehNeh
snow conditions
What gets me excited is seing the snowline start moving down the mountain from my office window!! Cool snowHead

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/4250477

April is a long way off! Sad
ski holidays
That's a very high office pielot, you must be very fit climbing all those stairs each day.
ski holidays
pielot, are you an astronaut?
snow report
Or perhaps some form of deity?
Maybe you are the one that can finaly answer all the 'what will conditions be like on xx/xx/2006' questions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy