Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wycombe Summit Latest

Poster: A snowHead
For anyone that might be interested, I have heard that the public consultation before final plans are submitted is at

The Environment Centre.
Holywell Mead (the Rye),
Bassetsbury Lane,
High Wycombe.
HP11 1QX

Sunday 15th October. 12 noon to 5pm.
Monday 16th October. 2pm to 8pm.
Tuesday 17th October. 1pm to 7pm.
Wednesday 18th October. 2pm to 8pm.
Thursday 19th October. 10am to 4pm.
Friday 20th October. 12 noon to 6pm.
Saturday 21st October. 12 noon to 5pm.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gsb, what are the options for the final plans? Is there a plan to have an indoor snow slope?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, This gives all info and pictures. It has a natural Sedum roof (I didn't know what it was either until I googled it)

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/tb.php?/news/article.html?newsid1158789170,89286,

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 9-10-06 11:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gsb, thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gsb wrote:
rob@rar, This gives all info and pictures. It has a natural Sedum roof (I didn't know what it was either until I googled it)

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/tb.php?/news/article.html?newsid1158789170,89286,

a sedum roof is where they plant it with grass that goes brown within a year & looks like a roof planted with dead grass.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a pity that the 300m slope isn't going to be indoor.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssnowman wrote:

Yes, although from memory the long slope at Wycombe was too steep for an indoor slope without freaking out a large proportion of their potential customers?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But they have got a seperate lesson slope for freaking out customers.

What puzzles me, is, given the choice of a snow surface or artificial surface on the same site, I know which surface I'd rather be buying skiing time on.

And yet it mentions the retention of the outdoor slope to keep many of the locals happy. Why would they want to ski recreationally on an outdoor slope with snow on the same site?

Which only leaves the dry slope racers. Surely an extremely limited market?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

True.. but if we can continue to race on it, then it will be great to have it back Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I look forward to that when I move to High Wycombe.

The only question is what the outdoor slope will be made of - I've not used dry ski slopes and haven't heard many good things from people who have. Is there any option for a better surface than most dry ski slopes are made of outdoors, or does it have to be the standard stuff?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, You might be surprised how many race training sessions all through the year and races in the summer use to take place at Wycombe. It was and hopefully will remain covered in Dendex, which is the surface that the racers prefer. It is also the only one which has a satisfactory method to fix slalom poles. It would still be the longest slope in England, Hillend in Edinburgh is the only longer one. It would be able to stage several of the championship races together with Club Nationals and Grand Prix A typical weekend could have up to 250 racers on both days all at a time of year when most people are not thinking about skiing. Also many prefer to ski outdoors rather than on a short slope in a freezing cold dome. Having both is the best of both worlds.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 9-10-06 23:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kosciosco, These days there are 3 options - snow (OK indoor), Dendix (traditional stuff we all know and love), and Snow-flex or Permasnow - a carpet like materiel.

The carpet stuff is very safe, but has (IMV) significant limitations.....it wrecks skis becauase of the heat build up, and it doesn't (in the way Dendix does) encourage good technique. Basically if you have to use an edge, carpet isn't the best. Having said that, for complete beginners it's excellent, and for those elements of skiing that don't require edges e.g half pipe, park, jumping it's great.

Dendix on the other hand does reward good technique, with modern short carve skis you'll be suprised with what you can do. It's not like snow, but if you can ski well on plastic, you'll be able to ski well on snow. Lessons at the dryslope will help.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I presumed that keeping the locals happy was referring more to non-skiing locals who might have objected to a great big snowdome on their doorstep... is this not a scaled down plan which maintains much of the character of the previous development?

I might have got the wrong end of the stick here though!

Personally I'd go for snow (dome or real) any day in preferenec to plastic but 100m is a bit short IMHO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, I know plastic isn't for everyone, http://www.wycombephoenix.co.uk/ currently train at The Hemel slope (which is also going over to snow.) bright and early Saturday mornings 7.30-9.00. As ski, says 'if you can ski well on plastic, you'll be able to ski well on snow'.
If you have trouble sleeping, depending where you are why not come and see what can be achieved on plastic and then give the plastic a try. I think Hemel opens for lessons or free practice about 9.30
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

As ski, says 'if you can ski well on plastic, you'll be able to ski well on snow'.

I would agree, up to a point. However, I can always tell the dry slope racers when I see them one snow.

However, dendix does not give the same sensations of letting the pressure build up throughout the turn, and as a consequence, the (lack of) pressure control skills of dry slope racers are evident when skiing on a mountain.

I teach on both indoor snow and dendix, and I know it's extremely difficult to perform flawless demonstrations on dendix.

I suppose it's the best of a bad lot in terms of skiing in the UK.
latest report
veeeight,
Quote:

However, dendix does not give the same sensations of letting the pressure build up throughout the turn, and as a consequence, the (lack of) pressure control skills of dry slope racers are evident when skiing on a mountain.

Agreed, but I think it's much less of a problem than it used to be - due to shaped skis, and unless you live near, and can afford, one of the snowslopes then it's a lot better than nothing.
ski holidays
I like Dendix! Very Happy Wycombe is way too steep for a snow slope - it would be a good red, which would mean a million accidents, never mind the locals. It was a nice slope, and hopefully will be again.
snow report
Wycombe was a great outdoor artificial slope.

It was better before they slowed it down at the bottom (after someone went into the wooden barrier), but still a good slope in a lovely settting.
ski holidays
Am ignorant of what happens in those sessions - anyone know? Was thinking I shouldn't go cos I live miles away so I would be a biased outsider but it would be my preferred slope - Bracknell is my nearest, Wycombe about 40 mins away but having tried Dendix at Hemel last Sunday I'm not sure I want to go back on the snowflex/permasnow: - lost about 99% of my confidence at Bracknell when it was wet and running very fast last week - but Hemel restored it - with the help of my niece who races there. Hemel is too far, Wycombe has good feedback - and I am hoping they get permission. I could possibly get over there Sun pm but could do with tips on the etiquette! Puzzled
snow report
Late starter, Wycombe is closed (AFAIK) after a fire there.
snow report
ssnowman, Ooops I didn't make myself clear - Yes its been closed for a while - it was the public consultation sessions mentioned right at the top of the thread I was hoping for info on! Confused
ski holidays
Late starter, sorry, I'm a bit slow sometimes Embarassed
snow conditions
Late starter, I used to ski at Hemel & really enjoyed it, but I could never take to it on a board.

I fancy trying a snowflex or permasnow slope on a board to see how it feels in comparison to Dendix.
ski holidays
ssnowman, When I re-read the post you replied to I realised I had really not been clear as I zoomed from the top of the page in large jumps across the topics which made perfect sense to me but not when you took a step back! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
ssnowman, Well the boarders at Bracknell seem happy sitting on Permasnow - for what seems like hours on end sometimes! Found a few unhappy boarder comments about Dendix when I was trying to check the spelling (was irritating me spelt two ways!) so suspect Dendix harsher to fall on - and I had a problem getting used to the draglift resulting in a slight tumble so I think would agree Sad
snow report
ssnowman, I understand that the boarders love the permasnow stuff. I hate it. Interesting, though, that ski said "it doesn't (in the way Dendix does) encourage good technique". In the couple of hours I had at Bracknell, I sort of thought the opposite, in that the Permasnow really punished anything less than perfect edge sets even more than does Dendix - let the skis start skidding and the run's pretty much a gonner. OK, so maybe the comment is based on it not allowing you much opportunity for mixing up turn styles. Agree with the comment about it wrecking your skis though.

veeeight, given a choice between some thin sugar snow on a gloomy slope in a fridge, or Dendix outside in the open air, I'll take the Dendix pretty much every time. I was extremely unimpressed by MK in my one visit there, and I'm not in the slightest bit claustrophobic BTW.
latest report
what i can't believe is that they have got 7 days public consultation for a ski slope, in Bicester we are having a £60mil redevelopment of the town centre and we have only got 3 half days Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
I Have heard through the grapevine that the Wycombe Summit Snowdome plans were finally approved at the council meeting last night. The council website says approved. But 'Defer for Departure and Obligation' whatever that means. (I understand subject to certain conditions)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb, yay Very Happy and eh? Confused A snowdome at Wycombe would have been great for our daughter and would have saved the recent early morning trips up to MK
ski holidays
This I believe is the last roll of the dice. The appeal will be heard by the independent Planning Inspectorate on March 16 at the council’s offices in Queen Victoria Road. The public are welcome to attend.

http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/ViewCase.asp?casename=APP/K0425/A/09/2114169&caseaddress=COO.2036.300.8.2542307

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=194328599998&share_id=362458854809&comments=1#s362458854809
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy