Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Observer today

Poster: A snowHead
The whole travel section devoted to Skiing. Not read it yet so can't vouch for the quality. Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/travel/0,,156054,00.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry only just caught up with the topic in Apres
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, Thanks. Does that give everything in the paper now ?

Bansko article was interesting. I thought property speculation there was dodgy now due to oversupply.

The clothing article was good. The High Street seemed to do better than Prada.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latchigo,
Quote:

The clothing article was good. The High Street seemed to do better than Prada.

No surprise there then. However it would be cheaper to buy Prada or even Pucci than Spyder from SnR!! Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Val Thorens for non-skiers was also fascinating.

I knew there were more restaurants than a good many stations de ski, but I personally could not imagine keeping myself amused for a week without skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand, I have never examined Prada gear, though I am aware of the label. Is it all women's wear ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Men go back to the eighties

Wicked! Men's skiwear is going back to the 1980s. That's right Rat-fans, the one-piece ski suit is the latest must-have

I new that if I kept my suit it would be in fashon again some time even if its not dayglow yellow with blue stripes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Latchigo wrote:
halfhand, I have never examined Prada gear, though I am aware of the label. Is it all women's wear ?

No, they do mens gear too and accessories such as gloves and googles. It's ok for somebody from say Manchester (pick any city) who has never seen a mountain in their lives, but who likes the idea of Posh Spice skiiing and wants to be just like her. Technically it's not good at all.

The gear article in that supplement is attrocious anyways. One of the ski trousers is not waterproof !!! The journalist says that this trousers would be good for a beginner !!! I know that on the first couple of days that I was on skis, I spend more time in the snow than I did standing on the skis. If I had a non-waterproof trousers, I would have had frost-bite an hour after starting, gone to the sauna 90 mins after starting and never skied again in my life.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Megeve ski school instructors have been kitted out in Prada for the last few seasons.
Boarders here have been in one-piece jump suits for the last 2 seasons.....skiers catching up? wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smolo wrote:

The gear article in that supplement is attrocious anyways. One of the ski trousers is not waterproof !!! The journalist says that this trousers would be good for a beginner !!! I know that on the first couple of days that I was on skis, I spend more time in the snow than I did standing on the skis. If I had a non-waterproof trousers, I would have had frost-bite an hour after starting, gone to the sauna 90 mins after starting and never skied again in my life.

Good point Smolo. Then we have Arnie "The Terminator" Wilson who seems stuck in some pre-Interweb time-warp when hacks were gatekeepers of information. Secret snow: great resorts that you never knew existed Arnie? We've skied there, got the t-shirt and come back to post the tale. Get a grip man, wake up! Smell the Java.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I didn't know you can ski on Java wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof, actually it's most holiday skiers that are stuck in the time warp and the vast majority would never have heard of most of those resorts, let alone ever been there. It was an OK piece and, let's not forget, he was almost certainly writing to a brief.

Hoppo, I guess you can mud slide. Anyway I much prefer a freshly roasted Columbian!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most people are warped generally. Time doesn't come into it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The idea of one piece dayglo suits got me scared when I read it yesterday and I still am - they'll be adding shoulder pads next.... argh Wink

Seriously though, an okay supplement although to be taken with a pinch of salt at times I think.

Apparently The Independent are doing a Ski supplement next Sunday - anyone know of any other upcoming supplements in the press?
snow conditions
Will retro ski technique make a return, as well as retro ski clothes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, but there is mrs rob@rar, modelling the one-piece Laughing
snow report
Must admit I found the whole thing pretty disappointing. Should I have any expectation of finding the Observer capable of entertaining me on my "chosen subject"? I know I am a ski bore but is that an unreasonable expectation?
snow conditions
nlinesw4 wrote:
rob@rar, but there is mrs rob@rar, modelling the one-piece Laughing

True - perhaps we're both Eighties skiers at heart?!
snow report
Bode Swiller, to the rescue! With grateful thanks from Arnie. Yes, of course I was writing to a brief, and I made a genuine effort to focus on resorts I felt people either hadn't heard of or didn't know very much about. No doubt whichever resorts I might have chosen there would have been some know-all criticising my choice. It's easy to snipe. I remember when I included La Grave in my first ski book - Top 50 resorts - an American ski mag sneered at this choice,becasue they had never heard of La Grave, and asked why I hadn't included Innsbruck as a ski "resort". Nowdays you can hardly pick up a ski mag in the US without reading about La Grave. Sodavidof, what was it about my choice that prompted your sarcasm? Clearly not everyone has your vast knowledge of little-known resorts.
latest report
Quote:

Bode Swiller, to the rescue!
I really like the sound of that. Cartoon strip next.

So anyway, welcome back jacksonhole ! I'll try not to "hack" you off like last time... I did though have a wee pop at your advertorial again so best you don't look at the "ski mags" thread, eh?

Sadly though, your Observer piece is all a waste of tree and ink. Those that want to explore will seek out such wonderful places anyway. The rest (99.99%) will herd themselves into the same old same old rip off French resorts, complain about everything but do the same again next year.
snow report
Bode Swiller, hello, good evening, etc. Thanks for your support. Hack me off whenever you like. I like to think I can take criticism as long as it's not vindictive! Off to bed now for a rare early night!
snow conditions
Well out of the resorts that Arnie had written about I hadn't even heard of 5 of them! And I'd heard of the others mainly from posts here. So I'd say they were pretty good little-known resorts - to your average skier like me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, you'll be telling us that banknotes are a "waste of tree and ink" next.

What are you saying - that he should have written 1000 words on Val d'Isere, Mayrhofen and Glenshee?

You're behaving like a sock puppet again, and your argument is full of holes.
snow report
David Goldsmith, banknotes are increasingly becoming obsolete so "yes". A lot of travel writing is about places the vast majority of the audience will never go to. Ski supplements in newspapers are always disappointing (especially when it comes to gear) and really they are just ad selling opportunities for the publisher. Tomorrow's chip wrapper...
latest report
I thought that, on the whole, the 'unknown' resorts were pretty unknown although I'd heard of the French ones and Baqueira. What let it down was the inclusion of Les Sybelles which has been linked for a couple of years and is in quite a few TO brochures (incl. Crystal and Thomson) so not particularly unknown.
snow report
Quote:

What let it down was the inclusion of Les Sybelles

ben wright, Ask Joe Non Obsessed Public if they have heard of Les Sybelles and not many will have done
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, but if they looked at 'any' TO brochure/website they'd find Les Sybelles whereas they wouldn't find the other places mentioned in the article.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with cathy, I am a fully obsessed skier and there were several places I've never heard of.
Obviously Bode Swiller, is The Guru...just a shame he didn't get asked to write the article since he would have clearly been better able to reveal the real secret spots.
snow report
Quote:

Bode Swiller, is The Guru

I like that, could get used to it. No, I think Arnie did a fine job... just that it's wasted on just about everyone picking up the Observer that's all. By the way, if I were a "fully obsessed skier" I'd find somewhere more appropriate to live than Surrey wink
ski holidays
He lived in Aviemore city limits once. That's when he was truly obsessed.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, well, if you're obsessed it helps to live within a few miles of a snowy mountain... and "obsessed" would mean ignoring dry slops (not a spelling mistake) and large refridgerators.
snow report
Bode Swiller, has actually been quite gentle with me. What intrigues me is why davidof, whom, as far as I know, I have never met or had any contact with, and who runs an excellent website, should want to pick a fight with a well-meaning stranger. He seems to have vanished after his surprise attack. I chose Les Sybelles for a purpose - as a prime example of a series of unknown resorts that suddenly became "known" 2 or 3 years ago because of one new lift. I went there in its first year as Les Sybelles. It was, if you like, a subtle illustration of what happens to "unknown resorts" when they are suddenly linked. If you like it was a kind of parable that I felt rather went with the article. I could have written about some REALLY obscure resorts in Slovenia, for example, but what would be the point? There was a little method in my madness.
snow conditions
jacksonhole wrote:
Bode Swiller, has actually been quite gentle with me. What intrigues me is why davidof, whom, as far as I know, I have never met or had any contact with, and who runs an excellent website, should want to pick a fight with a well-meaning stranger. He seems to have vanished after his surprise attack. I chose Les Sybelles for a purpose - as a prime example of a series of unknown resorts that suddenly became "known" 2 or 3 years ago because of one new lift. I went there in its first year as Les Sybelles. It was, if you like, a subtle illustration of what happens to "unknown resorts" when they are suddenly linked.

Hmmm like les Arcs and la Plagne. If your idea of skiing is riding around on chair lifts then les Sybelles is a pick but the domain is over hyped even if the individual resorts have a certain ahem "charm". It is all part of the Maurienne madness to compete with the Tarentaise. Yes okay, good for Brits looking for lots of potential KM, hardly a secret spot though.

jacksonhole wrote:
He seems to have vanished after his surprise attack.

No, I'm just busy. Les Sybelles wasn't the only area in the piece that stood out BTW but I accept that the Observer readers (of which I am sometimes one) are maybe not very demanding.

ps you don't want to see some of the real fights that go on around here, nasty.
ski holidays
jacksonhole, About 50% of these resorts I have heard of. Resorts like Abetone for example have only 50 kims or so of skiable terrain, hardly not enough for a weeks skiing for a family. There are however many larger peripheral resorts like Bad Gastein which have large ski areas and seem to have very few British visitors, that is not to say that the Germans and local Austrians do not ski there. My point is that although it is fun to try these smaller resorts I do not believe that there are sufficient runs, pisted or otherwise, to keep an average family occupied for a week. We could argiue, argue, what constitiutes an average family.

However, I did like reading your article.
ski holidays
hibernia wrote:
jacksonhole, About 50% of these resorts I have heard of.

You'd be hard pressed to hear French in Vaujany such are the number of Brits who go there. I really thought that was taking things a bit too far.

David Goldsmith wrote:
You're behaving like a sock puppet again

What does this mean in English, explain please?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
ps you don't want to see some of the real fights that go on around here, nasty.

Haven't had any proper ones for a long time. Are we due one?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

David Goldsmith wrote:
You're behaving like a sock puppet again

What does this mean in English, explain please?

http://www.answerbag.com/t_view.php/3007
snow report
Just for the sake of accuracy and for the final time... I'm not a sock puppet. However, (never start with however) I quite like the "Guru" tag given to me by rungsp but I'm a tad concerned that jacksonhole thinks it OK to let the world know that "I was gentle with him". I'm not a member of the Ski Club, all I did was buy a copy of the mag and nobody told me that was part of the deal, OK?

Anyway, this thread was about The Observer which is now half a week out of date and recycled already. Roll on the next supplement we can all have a go at.
snow conditions
Gosh, we are all being a bit cycnical aren't we. All these little barbs - do they give you pleasure? "I'm busy" says Davidof, sniffily. Well I'm busy too. But I try not to make gratuitous attacks on people - especially people I don't know. Moving on - just because you mention a little known ski resort it doesn't mean you are recommending people to spend a week there. The whole point about Abetone was this it you happened to be in Tuscany during the winter months you might want to spend a day there. That was all. I wouldn't recommend flying all the way to New Zealand or Australia just for the skiing - but if you happen to be there for other reasons during the winter it would be a great shame not to ski there. The skiing in New Zealand is great, but obviously no better than the Alps or the Rockies so no point in flying all that way unless there are other things you want to do there. Abetone is not suitable for a week's skiing, but huge fun to visit en passant. Why do people assume that you must spend a week in a ski area?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy