Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Take the campervan skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Returned from 2 weeks in Switzerland with a small, rusty, 20-year-old Talbot Campervan.
Same as previous time, no problems as we have snow chains and plenty gas for heating.
Only hassle this time: twice at -14C outside we had to heat the door lock with a candle to get out in the morning.

So, no, you will not die (however, I am South African and might view life differently!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiVanMan, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Having spent a week in March skiing and boarding with 6 South Africans yes - I think you do view life differently! Maybe less inclined to moan than Brits? Glad you had a good time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ciao.... I went to Corvara last year and there is a really nice little campervan/caravan site just under the lift to Colfosco i think it was. Some of the caravans were clearly static ones but there were definately visiting campers there for sure. Did get me thinking.....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for it. Look up motorhomeski.com lots of advice. Over the last few yearswe have had 6 or 7 trips to the Alps for up to six weeks at a time. Buy a decent generator (Honda 1kw sufficint) and forget campsites where you will be paying around £30 a night. Soon recover the cost of the genny. Most French resorts van friendly and often possible to ski in/out of the van. Personally would not bother with the large resorts but seek out the smaller ones which are under the radar of tour companies, ski for a few days,(when the sun shines, buy day passes), and then move on, that's the beauty of the van. You can find some excellent skiing in these small resorts at less than half the cost of the larger, popular resorts and at times have them almost entirely to yourself. Use some common sense with regard to the domestics of the van with regard to freezing etc., its not that difficult and remember you are going to the most densly populated mountain range in the world not the Antarctic! If things get bad drive down the mountain and sort youself out in the valley. Certainly in France you may be surprised at the number of motorhomes around the ski slopes. Last season we were away for 5 weeks and had 22days skiing. Total cost including ferry, fuel, food, ski passes etc. for two people just a shade over £2000.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, absolutely loads. Where we are, in Les Saisies, there is a "paid for" site with hookups etc but also a big free area which is always absolutely rammed with vans in high season weeks - and obviously the outfits are pretty well completely self-sufficient. What always does surprise me, though, is that the French are so set in their holiday-ways that even the camper vans seem often to arrive and leave on a Saturday, rather than use their independence to avoid the worst of the traffic. Puzzled

It would be good to use a van to explore one of the big lift-pass areas (e.g. Mont Blanc Evasion) so that you could get the benefit of a season pass.

It'd be interesting to see more "trip reports" of camper van holidays on Snowheads - I think it appeals to lots of people, though you'd need a well insulated van to be comfortable and personally I'd not be up for thawing the lock with a candle before I could get out. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, this thread was started back in 06, refreshed in 09, I would think quite a few people had gone in the interim time!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sadly not me! Sad Still would like to sometime ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My 'low-rent' approach from a few years back is documented here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46804

Might give you some ideas Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most resorts will have parking somewhere, be that paid or free. Water and drainage varies between resorts, but it is fair to say most resorts will have very little facilities other than parking. Electricity will usually be totally out of the question in all resorts. (however there will be some exceptions, and there are some places you can get electricity for free in France and Switzerland if you are passing by: for example campervan sales outlets, and some petrol stations in Switzerland) Some resorts provide heated toilets in places close to car parks. That is very useful, sometimes there is even hot water! (for example if it is -15C in the back of your van and you are starting to get hypothermic, go to the loo and warm up)

Heated underground car parks are usually warm enough to sleep in overnight, if you can get your campervan under 1.9m or less!

As for freezing water pipes, and engines, diesel only freezes up at -20 c so you will not encounter that very often, and only at extreme altitude like Tignes Val Claret. It usually gets warmer by midday, and the frozen fuel will melt by then.

There is usually no need for an electricity generator, as you can run your engine and use the electricity generated from that. Take a jump start portable battery, and some solar panels, and you can boost your van battery charge in the mornings from sunshine and give it a boost if it has been a really cold night and your diesel has frozen.

If you are running the engine and sitting in the back of your van, ensure there is plenty of ventilation from the heating fans. Also check that your exhaust does not have lots of rust holes (quite likely given snow and salt effects). Carbon monoxide poisoning is quite possible from exhaust fumes which leak from a rusty exhaust box.

rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done a week in La Clusaz on Plan Du Fernuy - Ski in and out (conditions permitting) and only a 20 min flat walk to town (there are buses if you don't fancy the walk). The site has an indoor heated pool too and drying room which is useful when you are a bit stuck for space.

I bought a cheap electric radiator so I could reduce the gas usage (the van had blown air heating) - the only things I had to worry about were frozen grey water (you need to leave it trickling if its external) and the gas bottle running out in the night (didn't wake the rest of the family but I had a very chilly trip outside in my PJs).

I have seen a very high camping spot at Sierra Nevada where it's a corner of the upper car park which I think includes hook ups. Bit of a trek to the next resort though....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As in the old saying 'one man's meat is another man's poison'. The same applies to how you would want to use your motorhome. What's good for one person could be purgatory for another, you really need to work out what's best for yourself with regard to resorts, camp sites, parking on car parks, aires etc. On a practical note there are camp sites available that serve most of the more popular resorts, (certainly in France). Some like Les Saisies are ski in/out, others require a shuttle bus to access the slopes e.g. Grand Bornand. As stated above our preference is to use the ski station car park, or aire as these are cheaper, (usually free) and more convenient for the skiing. If you take this option I have to disagree with the above post with regard to a genny, they are essential and everyone uses one. Most official aires in the mountains have facilities for accessing water and emptying the loo, usually a bourne for which you will have to pay a couple of euros. Even on car parks there is often a public loo which you can use, we have never had any problems. As the above post says you should not have any problem with your actual van. Diesel out in the Alps has additives put in to reduce freezing problems, just make sure that you have the correct strength antifreeze in the cooling and windscreen washer systems. On the domestic side we have never had problems with the fresh water tank freezing but you need to check that supply pipes are clear of outside walls and are insulated, (if in doubt carry water in plastic water containers). We avoid using the waste water systems, wash up etc. in a bowl and tip that into a bucket inside the van. Some people leave the drain taps open and put the bucket outside under the waste outlet but as a lot of the pipework from sink to bucket may be external you can end up with this freezing. We do use the outside bucket method when having a shower and then tip some high strength screen wash (-20) into the system.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This site has info re skiing with a motorhome and how to use in cold weather
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forums.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LA Plagne has quite a big campervan site with hook ups right in the middle.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshskier, Saw that last Jan, above Plagne Centre by Villages, IIRC. Quite fancy that when I get my 5th wheel, in a couple of years. Anyone know what the cost per night is as that would be a deal breaker if it was a silly price?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Michael B wrote:
welshskier, Saw that last Jan, above Plagne Centre by Villages, IIRC. Quite fancy that when I get my 5th wheel, in a couple of years. Anyone know what the cost per night is as that would be a deal breaker if it was a silly price?

Hi folks as ive just joined due to spotting this thread.
First off la plagne air was 10 euros a night last season with tokens for the hook up which were if memory serves 2 euros for 4 hours. Excellent spot board in and out and great sun trap too. Been there the last 3 years in my van. First 2 years i went it was free.
Skiing/boarding in a van is defo my cup of tea. No reps hassling you, go whereever the snow is best, arrive and leave when you want and home is always at the bottom of the ski run. Most of the smaller resorts don't mind you staying in the car parks at the bottom of the runs for a couple of nights. Its a great way to explore the resorts package deals will never go to. Last year 3 weeks boarding cost and this includes everything, food, drink, lift pass, fuel and ferries £960. Admittedly i do run my van on wvo so the fuel costs were low!

Le balme car park above la cluzaz.

Le Grand Bornand

La Plagne

snow conditions
Very cost effective way to overcome freezing water pipes in our 22 year old Talbot campervan when skiing - connected a clear plastic pipe directly to the water tank and used an after market 12 volt windscreen washer motor as water pump. Won't run a shower but produces enough pressure and volume to wash hands, dishes and fill the kettle.

------------------------------------
Your life is a custom adventure
www.customadventures.co.uk
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy