Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Season is coming! Are you ready?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been waiting for this time all this year. And finally winter season will arrived soon.
Just want to know what are your preparations for this winter season?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BONDAT, welcome to snowHead . My preparations have consisted of timing things such that I give birth beginning of December and then take 4 months off work during the season to enable me to spend a huge amount of time in the mountians this winter. I would say that was a pretty good start in terms of preparation for the coming season? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mouth, an extreme solution but i admire your dedication..
fitness training and weight loss ahs commenced for me (excluding tonights booze up)..
my new board is ready for only its second outing.. plans are afoot for a drive down to france in jan..
austria in feb.. switzerland in march and austria again in april..
on the kit front all i need is a new pair of cheap googles and im ready to go..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CANV CANVINGTON, I also meant to say that I am doing 5 gym sessions a week to ensure piste readiness including spinning, uphill treadmill walking, swimming and weights. My board is waxed and in my ski locker and my kit better fit me Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, fitness regime kicked in this week after piling on the pounds since last winter. Far too much drinking I'm afraid. Morzine in Jan as per usual the Austria (most likely) in March. 4 months to get fit!!!!!!!! Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have saved up some money.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, and then spent it all on flash video analysis wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bought a new board. Tried it out at Cas. Nearly killed myself.

Bought a holiday for december. Spent too much on it. Wife nearly killed me.

Bought some flows. Feet are killing me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulm, Can I suggest Life Insurance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BONDAT, once it stops being so damm hot its back to altitude training and mountain hiking!

tomorrow i plan to hike the col du lauteret with the mutt!

I dont bother doing any pre season training, after the first two days i'm season fit anyway, so t'is all good!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My pre-season training, Well...I suppose I should dust of my gym equipment, but there again, maybe I could just get someone to cook Tartiflette for me Laughing Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
actually i lied

i do do winter season training

but only on my liver wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mouth, wrote
Quote:

my kit better fit me

Doesn't sound like you'll have any trouble, given your approach. 6 weeks after the birth the only bits I still had overflowing were the boobs, but who snowboards in stuff which fits snugly round the boobs? I didn't ski 6 weeks after giving birth, as I was living in Barbados at the time, but I did windsurf 3 weeks before, and though I was careful (ie used small sail to reduce the heaving and grunting required) I found the exercise and enjoyable activity just what the doctor ordered. The baby who windsurfed 3 weeks before she is born is off tomorrow on a surfing/windsurfing weekend in Pembroke so maybe something important was communicated?? Given your exercise regime, and getting your muscles back in trim, being on the slopes mid January onwards should be more than possible. Just don't take the baby out in a backpack! Best wishes, and hope the next few months go well. We'll get some pictures? Me? I have resolved to do a lot of standing on one leg with my eyes closed because a knowledgeable Pilates instructor told me it takes 12 weeks for the nerve pathways which affect balance to "learn" how to do it. Some people will believe anything!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mouth, i had Winter (my daughter) end of Nov by c/s, i was riding next 9 weeks later. everything is possible Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

paulm, Can I suggest Life Insurance.

Funny you should mention that. The wife mentioned it too. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Totally unprepared, as usual.
snow report
pam w, and snowangel., thanks to you both and you give me confidence that I will be boarding as soon as I can possibly find that nanny! And yes of course pictures will be available. We fully expect mouth junior to be skiing and surfing as soon as he/she can/wants to!
snow conditions
Just received my first ski brochure today Very Happy

Good sign!

Very Happy

Edited to add - well it is a brochure and it includes the word 'ski' in the title, however the accomodation and snow do not require you to specify.

And no, why on earth would I possibly want to change away from boarding?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-09-06 10:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Honda Kitty, I thought you were a boarder, or have you moved into the light?
ski holidays
Honda Kitty, Yup, the McNab School brochure takes the No1 spot as the most frequently read bog read. Just thought you might want to know that Toofy Grin
snow conditions
McNab and McMorris went to the same school as me. Cool

I went for my induction at the gym yesterday, I am in pain. On the plus side my max heart rate is around 203 -204 bpm, which isn't bad for a 26 year old.
latest report
mista, What happens on the half-beat? Shocked
ski holidays
mista,
That sounds quite high actually.
Max heart rate should be 220 - <your age>
and then never working above 80% of that.
Different ranges for fat loss and CV work
snow conditions
kermit, the heart rate working range depends on what you are trying to achieve. Whether it is fat loss, aerobic fitness or anaerobic fitness then there are guidelines as to the ranges to use but in reality it is all down to the individual, thier level of fitness and what they are trying to achieve.

I have clients who regularly work up to and above 80% of their MHR with no ill effects at all. Whilst doing certain anaerobic workouts to improve endurance and lactic acid tolerance I have had clients working up to and in excess of their MHR. I also include myself in that group.

It is all subjective and definately individual.
ski holidays
Booking trip to Pas de la Casa tommorow for early January, avoiding those post christmas blues!!

Booking week off work in early march to get a last minute deal to fight off the post Pas blues!!!

Bought 1st 'Onboard' mag of the season last friday with free 'Storbis VI' dvd. It Rocks!

Fitness regime starts this weekend, along with board repairs, trip to snowdome at the end of the month.

Nightly snow prayers and offerings to the snow gods will commence in October
latest report
I need a new board... any recommendations. I have a Never Summer and tempted to go for the same again. Big Mountain / freeride is the requirement....
snow report
Diarmuid, sapient pnb2
snow report
snowangel. wrote:
Diarmuid, sapient pnb2

Had a quick look on the web for it.... Seems to be good but hard to find info about it. Is it a heavy board? Do you own one? Is it hard to come by?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes i own one, infact i own 2! a 159 and a 163. No its not that hard to comebye and if you fancy a 4 hour drive you can check one out for yourself as i am in Briancon (well just next viallage along!) I am also a test centre for them so can order one for you, and get you a discount.

Personally i dont think it is particularly heavy, certainly no heavier than any other board i've held.

The other half was riding it all the end of last season (he had broken his santa cruz) he liked it very much, but not as much as his santa cruz, which was tough luck as they dont make that one anymore!!!

any way. HOpe that is of some help
ski holidays
Interesting ... very tempted to go for another Never Summer Premier. It has seved me very well and I can only see changing board as a risk Happy

What sort of price is a 159 pnb2?

Which village are you? SC 1500? Spent a weekend in Villeneuve la Salle last season. great mountain in SC...
snow report
Diarmuid, i'm in St Chaffrey, away from the hubbub but close enough! Very Happy

I'll find out about a 159 for you but i will warn you they're not cheap!

i'm the same when getting a new board, why change when you know what is good eh, then when i got the sapients in I started riding a womans specific one, solstice, and i love it, more than the board i'd just bought which was the same as my old one but a bit bigger. Ah well you learn by your mistakes!

i'll get back to you
latest report
stocky wrote:
Whilst doing certain anaerobic workouts to improve endurance and lactic acid tolerance I have had clients working up to and in excess of their MHR.

I've just come back from the gym and was wondering about this... How can you work in excess of your MHR? Puzzled

Surely if you can do that then your MHR wasn't measured right in the first place?
ski holidays
mista wrote:
stocky wrote:
Whilst doing certain anaerobic workouts to improve endurance and lactic acid tolerance I have had clients working up to and in excess of their MHR.

I've just come back from the gym and was wondering about this... How can you work in excess of your MHR? Puzzled

Surely if you can do that then your MHR wasn't measured right in the first place?

How can you exceed you maximum heart rate? That's a paradox. You MHR is the highest your heart will beat.
snow conditions
Diarmuid,
MHR is only an average, there are athletes who regularly ahieve higher than that. A running mate of mine is just about to compete in the World Veterans kayaking in France and he regularly achieves an MHR of 205 - not bad for a bloke in his (very) late 40s!
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Diarmuid,
MHR is only an average, there are athletes who regularly ahieve higher than that. A running mate of mine is just about to compete in the World Veterans kayaking in France and he regularly achieves an MHR of 205 - not bad for a bloke in his (very) late 40s!

I don't agree. Maximum Heart Rate (also called MHR, or HRmax) is the maximum heart rate that a person can achieve during maximal physical exertion. It's not an average, it's a max.
ski holidays
MHR...........whatever!!!!

Winter season is coming and its a reason to get fit(ter) and excited.

end of.
ski holidays
Well you can't blame being unfit for your paltry performance in Austria earlier this year Mr P.
NehNeh
ski holidays
I was changing my riding style and a transitional period like that always results in a dip in speed rolling eyes

I have a nice new deck to play with this season Razz
latest report
Hopefully it came with a free "mojo" wink as you seemed to have lost yours last time out Very Happy
latest report
My dad has just bought me a snowboard. But I haven't received it. Will be expecting it this weekend when he arrives from Utah.

My preparation would be to test my new snowboard. lol Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy