Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longest Run

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, I have skied down to Bourg a few times last season, with a guide - really great....!

Crossing the main road is a consideration & as you say best done without skis!!! Toofy Grin However, when skiing down even at a moderate pace, it's difficult to spot the road in time...! The road is much lower than skiing level, esp. following bigger snowfalls, so be careful....!

The other difficulties are empty clothes lines - difficult to spot in time....!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BernardC, Laughing I've not done it myself - whenever the snow has been that plentiful I've been too busy having fun further up the mountain. One day though...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar,
Quote:

about 850m - is there any resort in France which has a marked piste that goes that low?

I'm guessing without checking anything, Morzine and Les Gets are pretty low and both have Nursery pistes in the village Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, IIRC Morzine and Les Gets are both above 900m.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S, I've skied down off Klien Matterhorn also, althought not the whole way to the village in one go. I believe there is a race for local lift workers etc. from top to bottom every year, next time you do it try it flat out!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

There is a run from Cervinia down to Valternouche that i seem to remember is 13km.

The complete run (IIRC) from the Plateau Rosa to Valtournanche is 13 miles/21 km.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The run from the top of the Parsennbahn or the Weissfluhgipfel in Davos down to Kublis is pretty long, about 12km IIRC. A red roller most of the way with plenty of cafes en route, then a beer in the station and a trundle back up the valley by train. Very pleasant.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blackcomb Glacier and Peak to Creek at Whistler are both very long, ca 11 km I believe, although the Blackcomb run flattens out considerably at the bottom.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, boredsurfin, There is a marked piste called Villard Dessous that runs from the Ecudets lift down into Seez. One person I have spoken to has skied it but it was covered in baby pine trees, almost like an artificial slope.

This may not count though as it involves la Rosiere and I realise that nothing positive must be allowed to filter through wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

about 850m - is there any resort in France which has a marked piste that goes that low?

I'm guessing without checking anything, Morzine and Les Gets are pretty low and both have Nursery pistes in the village Very Happy

No, Morzine is 1000m and Les Gets a bit higher.
In Austria, though, there are lots of low resorts and runs -Soll a 622m is one of the lowest (or our own Cairngorm starts at 550m)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But the upside of Soll's lack of height is the lowest slopes are pasture so they need very little depth on them to be useable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How long is the route at Alp d'Huez from the top of the Pic Blanc to Vaujany (2,080m vertical). That's a VERY long way - must be one of the longest.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Low altitude runs in France, isn't the answer furthr back in the thread Sixt is at about 800-850 metres IIRC.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed - there are a few other lifts too - but not open for very long - usaully Chrismas to early March max
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From the Crystal Brochure with regards to Cervinia.......

Quote:

Longest Run: 22kms (Kl.Matterhorn to Valtournenche)
snow report
halfhand,
Quote:

I'd always believed that Sarenne at ADH was longest pisted black run in the world.

It is! Although as reported above the last couple of km's are along the bottom of the valley which is definitely more fun on ski's than on a board but none the less very beautiful. The top section of the run is hard and worthy of making it a black run and whilst it does get easier as you go down the other main reason that it is classed as black is that there is no get out clause. You can't change your mind half way and decide you don't fancy it anymore! I've skied it before when it has bumps from top to bottom and on days when it's like that it is certainly long enough for me.... wink
latest report
I've done the Sarenne and the Vallee Blanche, and liked them both, but I certainly don't think Sarenne is really "Black".

I wonder if you look at the words "long" "black" and "pisted" describing a run you can have any 2 out of three, but not all three. I think this is a case of ADH wanting some publicity, and to avoid having to chase people who over-estimate their own ability down that long (but scenic) run out when the close the area down at the end of the day.
latest report
GrahamN found a very long run in Val Thorens, when he broke one of his ski poles......... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
I wonder if you look at the words "long" "black" and "pisted" describing a run you can have any 2 out of three, but not all three.

The Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs comes pretty close to hitting all three. It's black or steepish red more or less all the way down, with over 2km of vertical descent, as well as offering options for bumps and some off-piste variants. Fabulous views at the top, and a traditional Savoie village at the bottom, with a great restaurant. Perfect?
ski holidays
rob@rar, I'm a bit squeamish about the huge lift & getting out of it onto the open grid that you can see through right down to the bottom! The 2 times I've been up there, its taken me a while to get over the vertigo! Shocked
snow conditions
geri, Laughing Yes, it's quite scary at the top isn't it! Worth it though, once you've got off the peak Smile
latest report
rob@rar, I've just downloaded a couple of pics of the view from the top - but dont know how to get them onto this page, They are in my photos in the mediazone
snow conditions
rob@rar, Yes - I like that run a lot... and remember a truly great lunch at the bottom. On my list of places to go back to. But when someone says they have a black run >10km long I think they are really having a laugh.
snow conditions
Or it's a road.
latest report
skanky, Laughing Laughing Laughing Yes, I love skiing the roads on "SSX on tour"...
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
when someone says they have a black run >10km long I think they are really having a laugh.

Most of the time I would agree with you - can't be many places that have enough snowsure vertical terrain which has a consistently steep gradient to provide a true black run of any great length.
snow report
In Bansko you can ski from the top of the mountain back to the edge of town, with a total distance of 16 km. The 7km floodlit ski road is a bit flat in places but we skied it many times last February. The peak is about 2600 m and the town is at 990 m. You can incorporate the Black Tomba run or stick to blue all the way down. snowHead
ski holidays
As far as I know, the run at Zermatt/Cervenia from Klein Matterhorn (or the slightly higher tow up to the Gobba di Rollin) to Valtournenche is the longest lift serviced piste in terms of vertical drop on Earth, achieving a remarkable 7791 vertical feet. The Vallee Blanche has more vertical, but is by no means a conventional piste, typically requiring a guide.
The longest run in the United States used to be a trail at Killington named "Jauggernaut", which was anything but. It was 10+ miles of some of the flattest, most tedious skiing one could imagine. It was most likely the ugly spawn of someone in Killington's marketing department, who back in the 70's and 80's wanted every superlative possible associated with their mountain. "Jauggernaut" instead should have been known as the piste with the most trail intersections, seeing that it interwound itself back and forth amongst the existing trail infrastructure with dangerous frequency, all the while giving the skier the illusion that they are on a flat plane, requiring an unpleasant amount of exertion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tripyramidslide, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I will try to avoid "Jauggernaut"...
ski holidays
Yep, Killington Vermont has a 16km trail. Never been on it but its too flat to do on a snowboard.Juggernaut!! forgot the name of it...haha. But They do have a 10km run called greateastern that is fun as hell.
ski holidays
But there no fun in these runs.

Enter & try the 9km Weißer Rausch around 500 folk hammering down (at once) 1300Metres in eight minutes !

http://www.arlbergadler.eu/

This seasons race is scheduled for April 21st Very Happy
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Most of the time I would agree with you - can't be many places that have enough snowsure vertical terrain which has a consistently steep gradient to provide a true black run of any great length.

Like the Les Arcs to Villaroger run, the main ways down at La Grave are 2,150m (a bit over 7,000 ft). And those certainly ARE proper blacks all the way down.
snow report
snowball wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Like the Les Arcs to Villaroger run, the main ways down at La Grave are 2,150m (a bit over 7,000 ft). And those certainly ARE proper blacks all the way down.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but you no doubt know that the runs at la Grave are unpisted apart from the very top, so in the context of the opening post on this thread, I don't think they can be classed as pistes.

They obviously regularly become somewhat piste like if there is no snow for a few days and plenty of people have skied down them.

If they were ever pisted and I hope it never happens, I agree they would be genuine blacks all the way down.

Very hard work but well worth it.
ski holidays
You're all very silly. As any fule no, the world's longest run is in La Rosiere, along with the best snow record, the greatest value-for-money and the most varied terrain.
snow conditions
zammo wrote:
You're all very silly. As any fule no, the world's longest run is in La Rosiere, along with the best snow record, the greatest value-for-money and the most varied terrain.

You are quite right and no doubt the run you mentioned is green, blue, red and black all the way down.
ski holidays
richjp wrote:
zammo wrote:

You are quite right and no doubt the run you mentioned is green, blue, red and black all the way down.

But invariably white.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy