Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longest Run

Poster: A snowHead
Earlier while waiting for my SO at the shopping centre, I popped into the travel agents and picked up a bunch of ski travel brochures. In the resort summary section one of the travel agents had a listing for the longest run, as does some of the websites now as well. Most of the alpine ones are between 5 -7 kms long, (but the US resorts are blank), does anyone know what is the longest groomed piste in the world?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a run from Cervinia down to Valternouche that i seem to remember is 13km.

Not enough snow when i was there though so couldnt do it. If i had it would have been major thigh burn!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no_snow_in_swindon, maybe not - if it's that long, it's not that steep!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i think the Sarenne in Alpe D'Huez is reportedly the longest black in the world?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The longest lift served ski run in the world is apparently Valee Blanche, Chamonix with a vertical drop of 2807 meters or 9209 feet. 22km or 13.7 miles.

But it's kind of academic because it's all about how you name a particular run.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 7-10-06 20:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, it's not pisted though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The blue in Wengen that goes from Klein Scheidegg past Brandegg and down to Grindelwald Grund was well long. I think I read somewhere it was around 9km, and my legs were definitely killing after that one Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schilthorn down to Lauterbrunnen (Inferno course ) 15.8 km
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In terms of pisted run, there's one from the top of Les Arcs that I remember as being pretty long. Not sure of the length but I think it was pisted.

The Sarenne gets most of it's length from the just enough off flat to keep you going ski out.

It depends on what you consider a piste. You can get down from the top of Kicking Horse (British Columbia though, not US) on a run called It's a Ten, as in ten km.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
no_snow_in_swindon, I always understood it to be this run, although like you, I found it wasn't open when I went.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nickski, That's 'Aiguille Rouge' 3226m down to Villaroger 1200m - awsome run after fresh powder on a Saturday..! Not certian how long it is must check..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
'Aiguille Rouge' ..-....7 km apparently........
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One complete piste run, designation #7 "San Bernado" of La Thuile ---> 11km is the longest single run that I am aware of. It used to be printed on the piste map.

Aiguille Rouge to Villarogen in Les Arcs is the biggest single drop of 2km on groomed slopes.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 8-10-06 10:07; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, I have a PM for you in my 'outbox' since May 26th! Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BernardC,

Apology.

Guess you guys can confirm my data on San Bernado and Aiguille Rouge/Villaroger after visiting Bourg St Maurice.
snow report
Nickski wrote:
.........The Sarenne gets most of it's length from the just enough off flat to keep you going ski out....

Fair comment. 16 km, BTW.
ski holidays
Both the Sarenne and the VB have a long skating/poling section to finish them off. Most people bail on the Mer de Glace when they each the station. The Sarenne is a path all the way down IMV, so these types of run noted for their lenght are mostly more of a resort markting tools..
ski holidays
Sarenne, which has a steep pitch near the top, provides an alternative route down to The Tunnel, or returning to mid-mountain by lift. It is quite an attractive run - though its not one you would like to repeat regularly, IMV.
ski holidays
There is also this thread: The Longest Black Run in the World.
latest report
The run down from the Klien Matterhorn back into town must be one of the longest pisted runs in the world. It drops over 7000 feet.

To challenge myself, I once skied it without stopping !

In fact its not that difficult because some sections are rather flat allowing a rest for the calves by standing up straight snowHead
ski holidays
In the UK and in a half decent season like last yr the Alt Clach Nan Taillor (Tailors burn) off Ben Macdui can be skied and gives 800m vertical drop. Touring skis are needed tho...Its a splendid steep run.
latest report
Thinking about it, whilst the Jungfrau Region does not have the longest run in the world but it does have a lot of runs over 7km, I think it's over 11 of them, ranging from easy blue to gentle black in standard
snow report
saikee,
Quote:

Guess you guys can confirm my data on San Bernado and Aiguille Rouge/Villaroger after visiting Bourg St Maurice.

Affirmative...!

Although I was unable to get around all the ski stations within 1 1/2 hours of Bourg St. Maurice in a season. I am back this season on my own to complete my mission... Toofy Grin The terrain scope is absolutely awesome!

Thanks for your PM - await your other expedition reports..... Smile
ski holidays
I have skied the longest run in South America, Chillan in Chile

El Golf Alto around 11km, great run to access some great Off-Piste Very Happy

http://www.termaschillan.cl/default2.htm
snow report
D G Orf, the inferno course 15.8km in the region
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, it's not the longest ski run in the alps though, but it is very long
latest report
BernardC wrote:
'Aiguille Rouge' ..-....7 km apparently........
and none of it at all flat. Its the most vertical on any black run.
ski holidays
Cascades - From top of Flaine down to Sixt in the Grand Massif - it's either 14 or 17km - can't remember. Good run to do occassionally - but it is an end of the day run as it is a bus ride back, and the last bus is 16:00 I think. Not open very often as the avalanche/rock fall risk is very high due to it's locality. Some stunning frozen waterfalls to look at if your brave enough to stop Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevo_the_saddler, Agreed, some great views. I was going to say best to do earlier, as you don't want to miss that last bus.
snow report
gsb, I suppose with us being based in Samoens - it saves us going back up in the gondola again - but it is a good run anytime. Can get a bit icy at the bottom - and a bit of polling on the top bit - but stunning scenery - and on a quiet day you can be, or feel like, you are on your own. Not tried it yet - but you can pick up a phone part way down which links to a restaurant - and they come and collect you on a skidoo aparently Razz
snow conditions
stevo_the_saddler, We go to Flaine at Xmas, it's not often open then. I presume as it's low at the bottom not enough snow cover.
snow report
gsb, Yeah - Sixt is about 800m I think. The main problem appears to be when there are either thaw conditions or v.windy. At the top it is very exposed, at the bottom there are lots of overhanging cliffs that shed their lose rocks. Quite intimidating - lots of cliff nets to catch in some eares - but they cannot collect everything. Worth doing - but not one I would do every visit.
snow report
gsb, Plus snow cover at top has to be good - if you have ever been to the top of flaine in the summer you will appreciate why!
snow conditions
I think this is difficult because of two factors:

Firstly some resorts have wonderful looking runs on the piste map but they very rarely have enough snow to make them practical. From personal experience I can think of:

Les Arcs - theoretically you can ski all the way down to Bourg St Maurice. In practice I was there 4 weeks and only one day was it practical to ski half way down to the mid station of the funicular.

Verbier - years since I have been there but I went a number of times and never had the opportunity to ski down below the resort to the valley bottom although there was a "piste" on the map.

Then we have the longest "black run" the Sarenne in Alpe d'Huez where you almost have to pole yourself along over half of the distance.

The second factor I would consider is, are you continually skiing as opposed to just poling along. Again the Sarenne comes to my mind as does the a large part of the Vallee Blanche.

So the longest on piste run for me, which is normally open throughout the season and where you are genuinely skiing as opposed to poling, is the run mentioned earlier from the top of the Aguille Rouge in Les Arcs to Villaroger. It's genuinely red, with some black variations.
snow conditions
richjp wrote:
Les Arcs - theoretically you can ski all the way down to Bourg St Maurice. In practice I was there 4 weeks and only one day was it practical to ski half way down to the mid station of the funicular.

That's an itinerary rather than a piste (it's not marked on the piste map), and apparently involves skiing through people's gardens and taking skis off to cross the road, etc. That's not really surprising considering BSM's altitude is about 850m - is there any resort in France which has a marked piste that goes that low?
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Not been in summer myself, but friends have an appt there, seen the pictures in summer. Everytime I see tracks under the lifts near the top I shudder. I think some people must have a death wish.
ski holidays
I'd always believed that Sarenne at ADH was longest pisted black run in the world.
ski holidays
gsb, Indeed - we went this summer - walking around at top of flaine you are actually stepping over huge crevasses - mostly narrow - but nonetheless scary - obvsiously a little snow and you wouldn't see where to step!
latest report
You are all wrong. Its the run back to your accomodation when you discover someone has not got their lift pass. The worse the hangover, the longer the run.,
snow report
Longest run in Scotland-
On piste map: Glencoe
As discussed on WH recently it is possible to ski the bike track / LRT’s at Nevis Range which would give 1124m of vertical not bad for this little Isle
Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy