Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warren Miller's latest ski flick 'Off the Grid' gets its European premiere

Poster: A snowHead
I've just stuck this review on Epic, following its European premiere in London last night:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=44945

If anyone wants to slag off the review, ask questions ... or post further comments on the movie, fire away. It's doing its UK tour shortly. The main feature was preceded by an excellent (promotional but very intelligent) film on Aspen-Snowmass called 'Mountain Town', which sees the Aspen mountains through the eyes of a ski patrol director, telemark skier (extraordinary speed and technique), and terrain park director - she welds the rails and boxes herself.

The telemark skier is Nick Devore. He is phenomenal.

Don't know if 'Mountain Town' will be shown with the Miller film on tour, but it certainly deserves to be.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good review. I've never seen a Miller film. Perhaps I should.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds good - I've booked tickets for it's showing here in Brizzle, wil have to wait for a while though because it's not on here until the 29th November! Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
go to <www.warrenmiller.co.uk> and you can book tickets for the Off the Grid tour.

i've seen the last two warren miller offerings - it's quality just to sit in a cinema and watch a ski movie and the movies are great too!

It's a brilliant start to the ski season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the people who run and promote the Warren Miller tour over here - Black Diamond - work the ski shows to sell tickets for the various screenings. From memory, there will be another show in the summit restaurant (well, near summit) on Cairngorm - what a location! - maybe winterhighland could comment?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 6-10-06 12:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith, it's in the daylodge this year, see:

http://www.winterhighland.info/offthegrid/otg-1.php

There's a quicktime trailer for the movie here:

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/time/gl/wmiller/videos/2006/otg_trailer_dl.mov
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

From memory, there will be another show in the summit restaurant (well, near summit) on Cairngorm - what a location! - maybe winterhighland could comment?

Not in the summit restaurant this year, down at the base station in the Cas Bar

Details are here:
http://www.winterhighland.info/offthegrid/otg-1.php

I'll be at the late show at Cairngorm and camping at Glenmore afterwards.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh dear brian, beat me to it. I need to learn how to type faster!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A good review David-the film must be diametrically opposed to what 'Miller's' offered in the past. Recent films have revealed a largely disconnected narrative of sequences, threaded together and given stupidly euphemistic titles like 'Storm'.

The film-makers must have been subjected to a creative lobotomy for the film to be as good as the review.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I doubt the locals will be pleased that Krippenstein got into the big movies.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevin mcclean wrote:
A good review David-the film must be diametrically opposed to what 'Miller's' offered in the past. Recent films have revealed a largely disconnected narrative of sequences, threaded together and given stupidly euphemistic titles like 'Storm'.

The film-makers must have been subjected to a creative lobotomy for the film to be as good as the review.

They could certainly address their location scouting - the Alps are such a huge and spectacular resource, and warrant more serious inclusion. But there are fewer signs of 'resort plugging' and product/personality placement than in recent years.

The skiing is really 'balls out', which I guess is what the public really want in exchange for the ticket.

DB wrote:
I doubt the locals will be pleased that Krippenstein got into the big movies.

That's a very interesting comment. There's some very relevant comment on that from the US skiers in action.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
Good review. I've never seen a Miller film. Perhaps I should.

It's well worth it for the craic achilles. Top tip is to not sit too far back - the goodies tend to end up in the middle of the audience.

kevin mcclean wrote:

I seem to remember that Warren Miller sold out the franchise last year - so I wonder if it's the result.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Warren is a top man.

Have any of you seen the footage of the freestlye skiers from Wisconsin? They live on a farm and build their own jumps by scraping the snow off their corn fields.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want to be amongst the very first people to see 'Off the Grid", first public showing of Warren Miller's 57th annual film is at Nevis Range this coming Friday (13th October) - Tickets are limited to 100 so get them in advance to be sure you don't miss out.

As the first showing, it's a bit more than just the film, something of a pre-season party to celebrate the approaching winter. The evening starts with a spectacular dusk gondola ride up Aonach Mor at 7pm as the last of the autumn twilight fades over the distant mountains and Sea Lochs. A welcome drinks reception and finger buffet awaits at the Snowgoose Restaurant prior to taking your seats for Scotland's first 'Off the Grid' screening. Afterwards, the Snowgoose Bar is open till 11pm so enjoy the craic with the first apres-ski of the season!

Tickets can be purchased on-line via thebooth.co.uk – visit Winterhighland at www.winterhighland.info for full details and a direct link to 'Off the Grid' Tickets which are £15 for adults including Gondola, Welcome Drinks, Buffet and 'Off the Grid' – Concessions £10. Alternatively tickets can be purchased by calling 0871 426 1640.

The forecast is looking for high pressure building in at the end of next week, so it's looking like being a great autumn evening, which should ensure a great ride up the Gondola.

The Following Week is the CairnGorm Show (Fri 20th Oct), with the Daylodge bar now re-opened we're hosting the film in the Daylodge. Take the opportunity to enjoy a pre film drink or snack by the roaring log fire and get in the mood with clips of past Warren Films, prior to taking your seat in the Daylodge. Family show at 6pm - £8 adults/£5 Conc, the late show is £10 including a warming gluwein prior to the film. Cas Bar open till midnight, a great place for a pre-season get together.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've a very distant memory of Scottish skiing featuring at least once in a Warren Miller movie (or maybe it was his one-time rival Dick Barrymore?). You could have some fun digging out a copy of that movie and showing the sequence concerned, although I recall the commentary being a bit of a piste-take! It's probably a good 15 to 20 years back.

As I mentioned in the Epic review, the audience I saw 'Off the Grid' with were pretty tanked up by the time we got into the auditorium. Glad to see that a little 'liquid hospitality' will be available for the Highland shows - it kind of helps you get through the very extreme opening minutes!
snow report
Shame really - the nearest for me is probably Brighton, but we're talking 50 miles or thereabouts and a slog of a journey. So I doubt I''ll be going.

So if you're in the same boat as I, and have Sky - I just found on Warren Millers website that from the 4th November every saturday until January, they're showing some of the old movies on ESPN Classic (look in your Sports section, its a few pages in, I've never watched it either!!)
Should help to get the snow excitement going in the run up to the season!
latest report
In fact, helmets are a distinctly optional accessory in Miller's movies. Respect.

Yep, respect all round ?? Well done indeed.

150 Aspen skiers and would-be skiers gathered at a big Hugo Boss store.

Who were the would be skier ?

Quote:

But there are fewer signs of 'resort plugging' and product/personality placement than in recent years.

Apparently not.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
I've a very distant memory of Scottish skiing featuring at least once in a Warren Miller movie (or maybe it was his one-time rival Dick Barrymore?). You could have some fun digging out a copy of that movie and showing the sequence concerned, although I recall the commentary being a bit of a piste-take! It's probably a good 15 to 20 years back.

As I mentioned in the Epic review, the audience I saw 'Off the Grid' with were pretty tanked up by the time we got into the auditorium. Glad to see that a little 'liquid hospitality' will be available for the Highland shows - it kind of helps you get through the very extreme opening minutes!

Snowriders 1998 - Back Corries of Nevis Range.
snow report
La Clusaz, Candid Thovex and http://www.wwfilm.com/ have a new film out - Wha'ppen? The link below takes you to the trailer.

http://sdp.skiinfo.com/images/dppic/f209984.mov?c=42
snow conditions
From Winterhighland.info

<quote>
...lets have a Warren Miller Film tonight!

It's a beautiful Autumn morning across the Highlands, dry and bright with light winds and that's how it's forecast to stay for this evening's (Friday) Winterhighland Première of Warren Miller's OFF the GRID at Nevis Range.

On-line ticket sales have now closed, but don't panic you can still by tickets for this evening direct from Nevis Range. The Gondola up is at 7pm, just as the last of the autumn twilight fades. If your purchasing tickets please allow time to buy your tickets before 7pm.

See you there...

</quote>

Of course you'll only see me if you go the Cairngorm show next Friday Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bump this up.

Tonight is the night for the Cairngorm shows. I'll be there for the 9pm show, and will probably be pitching my tent at Glenmore around 7pm. Hope it stays dry - weather in Aberdeen has been awfull all week!

Dave
snow conditions
I am going to see it this evening. I expect it to be good.
latest report
Yes, good luck with that weather, and have a great evening Dave.

Keep the tent a few feet above the level of Loch Morlich!
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
Snowriders 1998 - Back Corries of Nevis Range.

And skiing in kilts on the frontside - including across the heather!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy