Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski not carving??

Poster: A snowHead
OK, linking on from the thread "Oh dear - here we go again!" which is discussing lessons on carving, as a skier who (As i far as I know!) has only ever had lessons in carving techniques ( I think....), how do you ski any other way Puzzled

Also, I was taught (bear in mind I've only had a weeks worth of lessons), to put all (or as much as you can) on the ski that makes you turn - the right leg when turning left, etc. Most of the pictures and advanced skiers appear to use both - which I started to do during my 2 weeks away, but not putting much weight on the "wrong" leg as far as I can remember. So is this right/goodthing/bad thing etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had far too much wine and whisky this evening to begin to answer this, but to dip a toe or two in the slush there are a couple of things to understand - viz. you can turn your skis (with your feet and legs) and your skis can turn themselves. How and when you blend those elements is the key to it all Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddyr, there are three things that you can do to your skis: tip them, turn them, and push/pull on them. In a pure carve, you are tipping them, but not turning them at all. When the ski is tipped and you stand on it, the center of the ski presses farther than the wider tip and tail, creating an arc. Riding that arc is a carved turn.

Alternatively, you could stand flat on your skis and simply turn them with your feet (pivoting your feet on the snow, which changes the location of the tips and tails). If you do this while moving, you'll redirect yourself if you tip just a little uphill.

Skiing involves a wide blend of these three skills (plus the foundation of a solid stance and balance together with effective use of your arms/hands/poles) to accomplish your specific objectives in various terrain and condition situations.

I hope this helps...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
(By the way, for all you technically minded, detailed folks, I know that it's more complex, even for a purely carved turn... But, I'm trying to keep it simple and to its essence... Wink) snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey, that's what I said (hic) Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda wrote:
Hey, that's what I said (hic) Laughing
Yep. Better said it, too, you did.. Wink NehNeh snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why do you need to tip them, why not just stand on them and they turn themselves, unless that is what you mean by tipping them...!!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, if you don't tip them, they won't turn themselves; they'll be flat on the snow... Wink

In other words, yes, I think that's what I mean by tipping them. Tipping them means moving one edge of the ski down and the other up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

why not just stand on them and they turn themselves

but they won't necessarily turn themselves quick enough. To do short, quick, turns, you need to turn them, maybe quite aggressively. That "windscreen wiper" exercise, where you keep the skis flat, and swivel them around the feet, is the one which I find gives you the feeling best. I find that exercise very difficult. I practise on easy button lifts; I once saw an EFS instructor, from a chairlift, going up a poma doing big sweeping windscreen wipers all the way, which gave me the idea. Those lads who can ride pomas sideways and backwards have the same skills; very impressive. And for short turns down steep slopes there's sfa carving involved, just swivelling and scraping to kill the speed, very well illustrated and explained in Phil Smith's "Ultimate control" video. "Skidding" isn't necessarily a dirty word!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, hmmm... I guess you'll need to count me among the unbelievers... While "drifting" isn't so bad, pushing your tails around really is, and I strongly discourage it. Drifting means that you allow the skis to slide along the snow and not simply follow the arc of the edge, but you don't do this by pushing the tails around. Think of it like this: Would you intentionally put your (rear-wheel-drive) car into a skid by punching the gas around a corner? No, but you might allow the tires to drift for other reasons, right?

Similar in skiing.

You can do short, quick turns with carved arcs if you can get the angles necessary:

http://www.vailbcschools.com/SHORTCARVED.htm

This gives some idea, although you can increase the edge angle dramatically more than that:

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eddyr wrote:
OK, linking on from the thread "Oh dear - here we go again!" which is discussing lessons on carving, as a skier who (As i far as I know!) has only ever had lessons in carving techniques ( I think....), how do you ski any other way Puzzled

Very few people spend all their time carving. Most people, for most of the time, will blend the three steering techniques depending on conditions, slope steepness, etc. You might be doing it subconsciously, but you will be using a combination of foot rotation, edge control and pressure control. Like pam w I recommend the video from Phil Smith at Snoworks which is the clearest and most straightforward description of these steering techniques that I've yet seen.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ssh, I think that the term 'skid' is being used to describe different actions. I know the video that Pam referred to, and have skied with that ski school for quite a few years. The skidding that they talk about is more of a controlled sideways movement to be used on very steep terrain to control descent rather than a pushing out your heels heels on more moderate piste. I think it's just a semantics difference rather than a difference in technical analysis.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, that's good, but the exercise she described is a windshield washer pushing the tails around. That was my concern...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh, at a guess I'd say that what Pam saw had the pivot point at the feet and not the tails, and was controlled using foot/leg rotation. Useful exercise, but perhaps not best to describe it as 'windscreen wipers' which, as you say, has the pivot point at one end not the middle.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Braquage?

Anyways:

Quote:
Most of the pictures and advanced skiers appear to use both - which I started to do during my 2 weeks away, but not putting much weight on the "wrong" leg as far as I can remember. So is this right/goodthing/bad thing etc?

Without wishing to get into a whole new can of worms on here - don't confuse two footed skiing (ie; steering, active inner leg) with weight on both skis.

And. For a further can of worms...... By oberservation, and in teaching sessions, 80% of the people who think they are carving (cleanly), aren't.
ski holidays
The only person I can recall carving as a matter of course over the last season is Charlotte, everybody else varies what they do for their own reasons, and that includes two ski instrcutors who didn't carve although the terrain at the time might have had something to do with it.

ssh, I wouldn't use the word 'tip' myself but agree its a question of semantics
snow conditions
ssh wrote:
Would you intentionally put your (rear-wheel-drive) car into a skid by punching the gas around a corner? No, but you might allow the tires to drift for other reasons, right?

Absolutely I would. That's the point of a rear wheel drive car Toofy Grin

(Edit for my appalling spelling)
snow report
Which takes the least effort?
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
Without wishing to get into a whole new can of worms on here - don't confuse two footed skiing (ie; steering, active inner leg) with weight on both skis.

Can we have a quick peek into that can, or should I start another thread?

On the few Monday nights that I'm able to get over to the Lions Ski Club at Castleford the tips and drills freely given out (many thanks rjs) attempt to have us carving as much as possible. It's a case of getting the skis on their edges asap, bending them, keeping them there and then getting them over onto their other edge asap (OK that's simplified again).

At the Warren Smith session on the same slope a day later I was told, for use in more difficult snow conditions, to stop riding my edges like that and get steering more with the inner leg.

As a person of limited brain function I'm struggling to concentrate on carving the outside ski while also concentrating on steering the inside ski.

Have I missed the point here?
ski holidays
Does anyone remember when the ski industry developed the 'Carving' ski?

I always found it funny that some people thought that prior to them being 'invented' people didn't or couldn't carve turns
ski holidays
marc gledhill, Welcome to the can of worms!

It's really difficult to explain on paper and not sound like EpicSki. I'll gladly work though any thoughts or concepts or confusions that you may have, but on a slope.

But if you start a new specific thread, I'm sure I won't be able to resist Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 6-10-06 10:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
marc gledhill wrote:
As a person of limited brain function I'm struggling to concentrate on carving the outside ski while also concentrating on steering the inside ski.

Have I missed the point here?

marc gledhill, understanding this stuff is key to stepping up a notch as a skier. I'll give you my take, which may not be entirely accurate, but reflects where I've got to on this.

In truth, every turn that most people do has a component of edging and a component of steering (let's ignore which leg is steering at the moment).

So consider a range where at:

10 - your skis are purely carving - you put them on skis on edge and do a pure carve around the natural turn radius of the ski
    1 - your skis are completely flat on the snow - there's no edging and you turn the skis through pure steering.

Many skiers believe they should be carving all the time. That's not the case. Good skiers are ones that can use that entire 1-10 range and do it on demand and when they want to.

As a gross generalisation (which isn't true) - the narrower and bumpier the terrain, the more you want to consider losing your edges. So flatter skis are a useful tool in bumps - although, just to add to the confusion, you can carve bumps (arrrrrrggghhh!). Shocked Shocked

How you currently ski might be somewhere between 3 and 7, say. Let's say it's at 6.

A lot of on-piste ski instruction (and fashion) focusses on getting you to pure carving. Expanding your range from 6 to 10. (Although some people think that the only legitimate place to be is 10.)

One of Warren's concerns is that many recreational skiers don't, now, know how to steer - so much of what he does tends to focus on steering - and trying to expand your range from 1 - 6. But he does "do" carving.

The inside leg thing is relevant to both of these. It's important, if you want to ski parallel, that you really do ski parallel. If you don't then, when carving, you'll restrict the degree to which you can edge and, when trying to ski with flat skis you'll have a tendancy to trip over the inside ski unless you get it out of the way.

This stuff does reinforce a point. Each "guru" with a DVD has their own take on skiing. So if you've done stuff with Warren Smith then I'd highly recommend the Phil Smith DVD, which I got recently and provides a nice counterbalance.

...and remember...this stuff's all supposed to be fun Laughing [/list]
snow conditions
...oh, feel free to correct / discuss. I know I've got a lot to learn myself...
ski holidays
marc gledhill, I'm sure RJS will have something to say here ... but are Monday's for Race Training ? I think difference is spelt out when you said

Quote:

for use in more difficult snow

What I think RJS is asking you to do is carve turns properly. This works very well on hard, pisted snow, but does mean that you'll go quite fast Toofy Grin

In more difficult snow, you'll want to control your speed more, so you'll need more steering, with both legs, hence steering you legs.

Quote:

getting them over onto their other edge asap

Have a go a SLOWING that edge change down wink
latest report
carving skis, bmx bikes and battle star galactica all came out in the same week some time in the v. early 80's wink
snow report
veeeight, Got me in that can too! Weight on both skis has to mean two footed skiing? Who skis without two feet apart from the physically impared?
I think these instructor types need help with termnology for me all they seem to do is play chinese whispers with some other instructors choice of words for the day. Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report
PhillipStanton, Noted, I had been trying to carve both skis at the same time, which I can do to a greater or lesser degree. I could more or less manage it, as I was trying to get both skis to perform a similar function.

I can also steer/pivot/braquage if I have to, as I'm again trying to have both skis do the same thing at the same time. My very limited off piste style is a type of steered/pressured "bouncy" turn with little/no carving attempted.

My problem is that I'm now being asked to seperate the function of each ski a little more. Carve the outside, but steer the inner. This is what's frying my brain.

veeeight, I do post on Epic too wink but haven't had the guts to ask this question there as I'm worried I won't understand the reply. Embarassed
ski holidays
ski, I know it's race training for prepared slopes, I hope I didn't come over as being in any way critical. Rob has passed on tips that have made quite dramatic improvements to my carving and I'm very grateful. I'll never be a racer, but my piste skiiing has come on in leaps and bounds.

It's only over the last couple of years that I've grasped how much I need to alter the carving technique, that's been drilled into me since I first started fifteen odd years ago, to ski other terrain effectively.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill wrote:
veeeight, I do post on Epic too wink but haven't had the guts to ask this question there as I'm worried I won't understand the reply. Embarassed

Marc, want me to post it? wink
ski holidays
marc gledhill,

Quote:

I hope I didn't come over as being in any way critical

No - not at all snowHead
snow report
Quote:

but steer the inner

When you are walking or running, which foot leads when you want to change direction ?
ski holidays
Guys, I think that you're overthinking this. When I want to turn left I press down with my right foot, and my skis carve to the left, the harder I press, and the more I lean over, the sharper the turn. The weight distribution across my two skis is dynamic, varying from 0-100% on either ski, depending on conditions, far more important is being in the correct position across my skis, so that I can vary my position and balance with ease, without being thrown about.
latest report
Kramer wrote:
When I want to turn left I press down with my right foot, and my skis carve to the left.......

<pedant>Not unless U also do something else it won't</pedant>

You'd just ski in a straight line on one ski.
snow report
marc gledhill, maybe his boots aren't set up right! Laughing
snow conditions
ski wrote:
When you are walking or running, which foot leads when you want to change direction ?

You've never seen my side-step on the Rugby field then. All weight on inside edge of the outside foot, now where've we heard that before wink
ski holidays
marc gledhill,
Quote:

You've never seen my side-step on the Rugby field then. All weight on inside edge of the outside foot, now where've we heard that before

But what's the other one doing ?
ski holidays
marc gledhill, ok then, when I want to carve left, I shift my centre of gravity to the left, whilst pushing down with my right foot.

Like I said, you can overthink skiing. It's actually fairly simple.
latest report
Quote:

ok then, when I want to carve left, I shift my centre of gravity to the left, whilst pushing down with my right foot.

In which case you're not rolling the ski over onto it's edge using your lower joints.
ski holidays
veeeight, I would suggest that shifting my centre of gravity from one side to the other automatically rolls the ski onto it's edge?
snow report
ski, I do get your point, I was being daft. In fact the sidestep is a perhaps a decent analogy after all as pretty early on my inside foot will be twisted and then moved in the direction I want to go.

But I do that without thinking which sadly I an't do on skis yet Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy