Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summertime La Plagne - Chiaupe glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What a great place to ski in the summer! Ok it's not huge, but it's quiet, the expanse of glacier being quite sufficient to get a good 'fix' for a few hours in the morning. 5 tourists! Three or four clubs race training, so no queues whatsoever. I'll post a link to some photos later.

I would question the blue status of the runs, as the middle section, halfway between the two lifts, is very steep. Not that there are marked runs as such anyway, you ski wherever you like on the glacier. I reckon the middle part is about as steep as the Leisse black at Tignes.

Conditions were excellent, still some untracked powder on the fringes despite the return of the sun on Wednesday, and as the glacier is west-facing it is late morning before the sun really has any effect.

The new high speed (Col) chair on the glacier ensures a minimum of delay, although I understand the lift company is considering removing the Chiaupe drag (which doesn't run during the summer). There are also rumours to the effect that the Compagnie des Alpes is considering closing the La Plagne summer area altogether. Not because of the conditions, but because it doesn't generate sufficient income. Hardly surprising really, how many people are even aware that the La Plagne glacier opens during July and August?

Bit of a grind getting up there, 40 mins or so from Bellecôte. The newish Roche de Mio cable car is fine, via Belle Plagne to Roche de Mio, but then the ancient boneshaker Pomas to the glacier take for ever. Drinks and snacks have to be taken along, as there's nowhere open on the glacier.

So it was back down to the Roche de Mio restaurant d'altitude, a very pleasant lunch, good value and quality. Some strange looks from the hikers and bikers as I wandered in in full ski gear. Before going back to Bellecôte I stopped off for a coffee at Belle Plagne, where there was a sprinkling of tourists engaging in summery activities. The outdoor pool was very popular, with scanty clothing and sun tans very much in evidence on the volleyball court. Strange to find yourself mixing with summer holidaymakers only minutes after skiing on the glacier!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here are a few photos. Hardly a cloud all day, but cool enough until closing at 1pm to keep the snow in good nick.....

24€60, well worth it I reckon, now I've tried it!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks PG - it does look like an interesting little glacier (drool)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, have been to La Plagne 3 times, but never been up there due to one reason or another, high winds, lift closures, poor snow etc. Looks great though. Worth another trip?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen, it's a long and exposed trip up to the glacier, wouldn't take much to close the lifts. Looks as if there are some good blacks and reds below the glacier too, I've yet to try them myself. Then there's some blacks east of Aime La Plagne, above Montalbert. Definitely looking forward to exploring the domain properly next season...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, have been almost everywher except glacier, found it a bit tmae at New Year, as most of blacks closed due to thin snow-cover. As I consider myself a rather timid skier compared to the rest of my family I was surprised. It was a couple of years since I'd been there and I didn't feel challenged by the steepness at all, only the long run back down to Champagny each afternoon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It does have that reputation, but I think it was davidof who commented (elsewhere) on the superb off-piste from Bellecôte as well as the tree skiing to be had at La Plagne, when you know where to go. Easy enough to nip across to Les Arcs now, especially if staying in Bellecôte or Belle Plagne. Definitely worth another trip!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My one trip to La Plagne was early December one year on the Snowtrain from Calais, in the company of about 500 high street travel agent employees, many of whom were getting their first taste of skiing at very low cost.

The whole expedition was the inspiration of the late Lucy Dicker and was a brilliant idea. What better way for people at travel agency desks to know about skiing than to actually do it?

More of this should happen, as ski resorts are so empty in early December.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG wrote:
Helen, it's a long and exposed trip up to the glacier, wouldn't take much to close the lifts. ...

For some reason, even in good calm weather the glacier area is not often opened during the winter. If there is enough snow elsewhere to satisfy visitors, the runs on the glacier itself are often closed but the main access to the area still works because, as you say, that gives access to some of the more challenging parts of LP and off piste.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy