Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Europe, in October

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I've managed to get a long weekend from work this week - finish Friday, back in work on Wednesday, and was planning on doing the usual stuff - sort things a few things out, go to Tamworth, that kind of thing. And then i had a thought...

If i'm going to Tamworth, why not try and find some real snow instead?. So, how realistic would it be to find some kind of skiable snow, in Europe that is close enough to get to for a weekend? Is anywhere open yet?, i guess i'm thinking glaciers here?

I do realise that i am being optimistic at best and completely unrealistic at worst, but thought i'd ask you knowledgeable folks anyway. Feel free to point and laugh if this is the sillyest question you've ever been asked Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevec, you might find Tignes is open for the glacier only, worth contacting the tourist office or lift company to check. The Mondial is usually held at the end of October in LDA, Again worth checking for opening dates of the glacier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not go on the PSB , see the thread and meet other snowheads snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevec, Last October we skied in Tignes at Half term (3rd week of October) So well worth checking and I guess accom would be cheap up there at this time of year. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevec, There will definitely be something at Hintertux. It is 2.25 hours from Salzburg (less from Innsbruck) which is convenient with Ryanair. I haven't checked the website for some time, but skied there in early Nov last year and there was certainly enough open for a weekend then. There would be more km open there than at Tignes. The flights might be a tad on the costly side as we are so close to the date now...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A propos of nothing, there was a car with skis on the roof rack at Geneva airport yesterday...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, Are you in Cham? Would be nice to meet up
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevec, looks like they had 40cm of new snow at Hintertux yesterday. From the website there is only 12 km piste open at the moment. Webcams are here
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd agree with Ray Zorro. Hintertux had the best skiing I've experienced in October. You might want to check out an operation called World Class Skiing, run by top BASI instructors. They know the area backwards and run courses there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro, David Goldsmith, Tux just had 40cm of fresh and it is -8 at the top. Webcams look inviting! www.tux.at - might just be tempted myself.

stevec, best hotels in Tux are (IMO) the Neu Hintertux or Rindererhof as they are both short walk to the gondola and are your typical top notch 4 star Austrian hotels for not much dosh.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, i will make a few calls and hopefullt be on the slopes this weekend!

Now that is exciting Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevec, I'm pretty sure Pitztal is open at the moment. Zermatt will be for sure (365 days per year).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevec, The SCGB have some information that may help you decide ... http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reports/overview/default.asp
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at various resorts and for the price i was being quoted for accomodation and flights i decided instead to stay at home and had 3 hours in the big fridge at Tamworth. Not perfect, but enjoyable anyway.

Thanks for your help anyway snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MY GOD! thats so weird, someone with exactly the same thoughts as us AND the same conclusion.

I dont want to drive for 3 hours, no ski train, very few flights and tis sooooooo expensive! for the cost of 4 days i could go to USA for a week!

Damn those europeans!

Anyone want to tell me a sub £250 way of getting 4 day ski action on a glacier with flights, transfers and hotel i will be interested!

A
ski holidays
adam_button wrote:
Anyone want to tell me a sub £250 way of getting 4 day ski action on a glacier with flights, transfers and hotel i will be interested!

A

Wouldn't we all Wink
snow report
You see Rob, tis like this:

I've blown near £4400 on a chalet for 5 at crimbo in Courch

I'm looking to blow £1000 on a week in Tremblant or Blue Mountain in March

So really dont want to spend the rest of my savings or pimp out my other half for a quick ski fix

A
ski holidays
adam_button, should be doable. if you went out 06:30 Fri 17th Nov - 22:00 Mon 20th Nov, flights stansted to Bergamo with Ryanair you could fly for £22.75 - INCLUDING taxes etc.

A 2.5 hour drive to Cervinia and you have 3.5 days skiing with only 3 nights away. assuming two sharing, car hire would be half of £100 ish accommodation say £25 per night and that totals only about £150 for flights transfer and accommodation.
ski holidays
Actually if you went the Thursday night, the flights would total £14.97 Shocked that would give you 4 full days skiing and no early start.
snow report
The same weekend you can fly to Salzburg from Stansted for £35.11, Thurs night to Monday night, again 2.25 hour drive, but to Hintertux (less time to Kaprun, but less skiing) and get 4 days skiing in.

Easy wink I did it myself that weekend last year.
ski holidays
adam_button wrote:
You see Rob, tis like this:

I've blown near £4400 on a chalet for 5 at crimbo in Courch

I'm looking to blow £1000 on a week in Tremblant or Blue Mountain in March

So really dont want to spend the rest of my savings or pimp out my other half for a quick ski fix

A

I agree, long weekends are a relatively expensive thing to do out of season especially if you travel alone.
snow report
As a pointless excersize on a Sunday night, and to proove a valuable point I am sat here with my buddy Jarvski and we thought we would price up for 4 days skiing in Cervinia going off of RAY ZORRO's flights etc...

Hereford to Stanstead & Return in Jarvski's car - 370 miles, 27 mpg - £52.24

Flights with Ryanair from Stanstead to Bergamo on Friday 17th Nov, returning Monday 20th Nov, Including all taxes, ski carriage and flight = £134.50 for 2 people

Car parking @ Stanstead airport - 4 days - £24.20

3 nights acommodation at the 2 star Hotel Breighthorn, 141.42 Euro or £94.75 each

Car Hire from Bergamo airport with Alamo (cheapest) for a Ford Focus - 4 days £113.46

Lift Pass for Cervinia - 3 days - £35.50 each

TOTAL £584.90

WITHOUT PETROL FOR THE HIRE CAR, FOOD OR DRINKS ETC... PRICE EACH BASED ON THE ABOVE FOR 4 DAYS SKIING WOULD BE £292.45. AS A COMPARISON A WEEK IN LA TANIA IN MARCH 2006 COST US £214 EACH WITH SKI CARRIAGE, TRANSFER ETC...

£250 budget? not possible, even if we moved the flights - the flights are 1p, its the taxes and ski carriage that hits us!

A
snow report
Plus insurance

Flights include Ski Carriage etc ?
snow report
No travel Insurance was quoted in the pricing above.

Ski Carriage was lumped in with the Ryanair costs but worked out at £15.50 per person, each way - so ski carriage total was £62

As a note Easyjet are now quoting a MAX 2 pairs of skis and a MAX weight of 12kg for £30 each way!

A
snow report
Saw a Saas Fee ad in the paper today. 2 nights accomodation + 2 days lift pass for 250CHF ish. Check out the tourist office website.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy