Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling Alone!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning on spending 10-14 days in France on a ski trip but will be alone. Are there any groups that deal with people like me???

I'm an intermediate skier but have only been on snow once (fast learner I know!!) so would like to know the best resort also taking price into mind.

Cheers Guys
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robert_dorling,

Have you heard of the PSB or EOSB?

See events section for details
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
robert_dorling, Or even the MSB (although it's in Switzerland) Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robert_dorling, you could try any company/chalet that does ski guiding.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robert_dorling, Welcome to snowHead

Have you seen this link http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18875
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robert_dorling, welcome to snowHeads!

Hope you find something suitable.

Have you considered lessons? You might find there are many grades of 'intermediate' to pass through!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I took lessons last year and progressed through two levels by the end of the week. The EOSB sounds like just the thing I'm looking for, how do I apply for it??? snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
also take a look at this link someone posted a few days ago: http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/

aj xx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robert_dorling, the snowheads events would be ideal for you, I think. If you are a bit unsure how to make your marker on the forum, drop a private message to our eccentric, but amiable long-haired leader, admin. I am sure he will get back to you. One other line might be the SCGB Freshtracks holidays. A little pricey - but a good way for a singleton to join in with a similar standard group.

FWIW, I am planning to go to 2 snowheads events (the MSB and the EOSB) - and meet up with other snowheads for an early week. Get stuck in with us snowheads - you'll find it fun. Oh - and keep an eye on the snowdome happenings in the Events section. Keeps your skiing legs in - and is a great way to meet SHs for real. But as someone else once discovered, you have to be brave enough to ask questions like "Are you Frosty the Snowman?" Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles,

Shouldn't that be " the legend, Frosty the Snowman"..... Laughing

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 8-10-06 7:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
But as someone else once discovered, you have to be brave enough to ask questions like "Are you Frosty the Snowman?" Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's all good advice robert_dorling, especially the bit about the EOSB, without it and the people I've met on it I'd probably be skiing solo as well. This season though I'm now doing the PSB, MSB, EOSB and another week with people I've met through snowheads.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
With some people here there is an aversion to the Ski Club of Great Britain for historical reasons. However the service provided in guiding around the resort is actually rather good. The rep has different standards on different days, which are advertised in the resort - but better to go to the rep's office hour (find out place and time from the ski club). To some extent the group standard will get modified to suit whoever turns up. You can only ski one day with them free, after that you have to join but there are various other benefits, including numerous discounts, and ski club holidays which are for groups of the same standard.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look at the courses provided by Snowworks (Phil Smith). When I went on a similar course, in the group second from the bottom, the group at the top consisted mostly of people qualified as instructors. I was sharing a room with one, as I had gone on my own, and she reckoned she learnt a lot during the week. You would probably have lessons for half the day and lots of similar level skiers to go out with for the rest of the day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier,
Quote:

This season though I'm now doing the PSB, MSB, EOSB and another week with people I've met through snowheads.

Who would that be then? Wink
snow conditions
Some jolly northern bloke who looks suspiciously like the fella in your photos, do you know him?
latest report
FenlandSkier, Blush wink
latest report
I am hoping to get away several times on my own on cheap late deals with iglu or some such site (as well as go on MSB ). Any ideas the best way to get cheap places without having to pay a single supplement ? unfortunately difficult to persuade friends to come at 2 days notice !!
snow report
Do prices drop dramatically if you book a few days before????

Cheers for the advice guys I have a lot of research to do.

Rob
snow conditions
robert_dorling, sometimes, but it depends on what time of the season you want to travel and there is no guarantees that prices will be reduced. If you are traveling off-peak (eg first two or three weeks of January after New Year) some of the tour operators might have unsold holidays, so they can offer last minute discounts to help sell their 'distressed stock'. If you can be flexible about where you go, the type of accommodation you stay in and possibly which airport you fly from you should have a good chance of picking up a bargain. But if you have specific requirements you run the risk of not being able to get exactly what you want if you leave it too late to book. There have been a couple of threads here recently about people's experience of booking late; if you use the search facility you might pick up some useful tips.
latest report
robert, I've done loads of solo skiing over the past 3 decades. I used to go with chalet parties, which is a bit hit and miss. The biggest hit was finding myself in a chalet in Val d'Isere which was full of Australian Air Force pilots. They tried to encourage me with a 'liaison' with a girl in the chalet, which had quite amusing and embarrassing consequences.

On chalet parties you often find yourself sharing a room with a total stranger. It's usually OK, but it's obviously a lottery.

A few years ago I discovered (a bit late!) the huge fun of skiing from a youth hostel. You may be in a room with 3 or 5 complete strangers, but they will probably be fascinating, full of adventure and amazing travel advice. I've used the youth hostels in Aviemore (basic but friendly) and Zermatt (ultra modernised, clinical, but great location, evening meal included and company from everywhere).

So I'd recommend giving youth hostels a go. The price is right! There are quite a few in quality Swiss and French ski resorts. Don't know about Austria or Italy.
latest report
rag wrote:
I am hoping to get away several times on my own on cheap late deals with Iglu or some such site (as well as go on MSB ). Any ideas the best way to get cheap places without having to pay a single supplement ? unfortunately difficult to persuade friends to come at 2 days notice !!
Some of the cheaper travel companies used to do special deals where you shared a double room with a stranger (one, I remember, was called Batchelors Abroad - can't remember the company). Perhaps one or two still do?
ski holidays
rag, To avoid supplements :-

1) Get all the brochures. Some holidays have no supplements.

2) DIY. Supplements are often a tour operator idea rather than a reflection of what a hotel or guest house would ask.

3) Take a chance on sharing a room with David Goldsmith.

You could just book a week's leave from work and wait till the last minute. There is always something around. So you would be able to make arrangements to go skiing cheaply with friends but not finalize the details till a few days beforehand.
ski holidays
Latchigo wrote:

You suggesting he takes a holiday in London, cause I doubt if you'll find DG near a ski resort this season...
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, There is always avalanche training in Richmond Park to fall back on.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
... I doubt if you'll find DG near a ski resort this season...

... unless he's gone there to pick daisies and play the alpenhorn.

Hang on ... the world's leading jetsetter is talking about me!

Sorry, my bed in London is full.
ski holidays
and we all know that DG is persona non grata in youth hostels so not much chance of having to share with him there wink
snow report
I think Neilson's have a bit on their forum to link up single skiers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ben wright wrote:
and we all know that DG is persona non grata in youth hostels so not much chance of having to share with him there wink

Yeah, wright.
latest report
Kramer wrote:
achilles wrote:
But as someone else once discovered, you have to be brave enough to ask questions like "Are you Frosty the Snowman?" Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm honoured to have been present for that bit of snowHead history. I remember it well, sinking into my seat on the bus, trying to get my head under my jacket... Embarassed wink
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Latchigo wrote:

You suggesting he takes a holiday in London, cause I doubt if you'll find DG near a ski resort this season...

Why don't you let your Dad stay in your new appartment in the Canyons Laughing
latest report
robert_dorling, Looking at most of the posters above I would say you would be better off on your own Twisted Evil
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
robert_dorling, Looking at most of the posters above I would say you would be better off on your own Twisted Evil

Most Puzzled
snow conditions
Well the first 4 are nice Very Happy
snow report
I'm thinking most about the EOSB if there is space. I understand that Admin will blanket email the members when they announce anything.

Rob snowHead
snow conditions
robert_dorling, Dont worry. Even if you check in infrequently you will find out about it.
ski holidays
robert_dorling, it really will be impossible to avoid - unfortunately rolling eyes
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Well the first 4 are nice Very Happy

Oi....!!!!!!
latest report
JT wrote:
achilles,

Shouldn't that be " the legend, Frosty the Snowman"..... Laughing

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
JT, Ohhh viscious edit Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy