Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts for skiers/non skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're looking to go on a group holiday over the christmas/new year period but need a resort with enough activities to occupy non skiers.

Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt, Chamonix, Wengen are all places I've been to with mixed groups of skiers and non-skiers and all have worked out well. I'm guessing other places like Davos, St Moritz, Cortina & Innsbruck would be pretty good as well.

I would avoid any purpose built French resort if your non-skiers want to walk through snow filled forests and picturesque Alpine villages! If the non-skiers just want to drink and shop it doesn't matter too much where they go, any decent sized resort should be OK.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depending on what they want....

Zermatt is very pretty and has the glacier railways to take you out for the day.
Murren is lovely and I think you can also take railways from it - though it's only small. You can access the "James Bond" Schilthorn and the Eiger / Jungfrau railways from near here too...

Chamonix has a lot of non-skiing activities like husky sledding, paragliding, snowshoeing, the aiguille du midi - again it's got some great railways and you can visit Italy, Annecy, Geneva, lakeside towns like Yvoire and more as day trips.

Some good links at
http://www.chamonet.com/faq.php?id_faq_type=44#157

and maybe it is ok (admins let me know if not) for me to link to my own list here...still adding to it though!

http://www.chaletlaforet.com/chamonix/offtheslopes.html

The other place that I've heard recommended is Kitzbuhel in Austria - I've heard that it's really beautiful and might be good if they want some Austrian party spirit? I've never been there though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done Wengen, Kitzbuhel, Zell am See and Livigno with my non-skiing parents.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
The other place that I've heard recommended is Kitzbuhel in Austria - I've heard that it's really beautiful and might be good if they want some Austrian party spirit? I've never been there though.

Kitzbuhel is a lovely town. I went there a couple of years ago at Christmas and it was about as Christmassy as you can get. Its very pretty, had a lovely Christmas market, nice shops & restaurants.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
olliew,
Many of the Swiss Austrian resorts are attractive with good walks, x-country, sledging, horse-drawn sleigh rides etc. If you are looking for more than this I don't know too many places that really offer an awful lot. The two that I have seen mentioned most frequently but have not been to are Aosta in Italy and Innsbruck in Austria.
Briancon is place I know well and has a genuinely very attractive old town connects with great skiing in the Serre Chevalier domain. Apart from the old town and a modern sports centre the non skier will be left with the same sledging, x country etc. though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aosta is a small(ish) town that has a certain amount of drabness around the edge, but has a nice central area, and some good Roman ruins (there are some castles nearby too). It has both bus & rail access to Milan, Turin and the rest of the Aosta valley (most in case of the train). There are some interesting places to visit in the area and you can get to most of the other ski resorts (though best if you have a car if you want a full day's skiing). The gondola goes from the edge of town up the mountainside to Pila (an alternative would ne to stay in Pila and the non-skiers to travel to Aosta - I guess you'd have to arm wrestle to decide which to do). It takes a little while, but is a pleasant run up. It will also be noticeably cheaper than the resorts themselves, though it won't have the nightlife (it not being full of holiday makers), though I'm sure there will be places (I've only been during the day).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I've done Wengen, Kitzbuhel, Zell am See and Livigno with my non-skiing parents.

Good god: you put them through a 4 to 5 hour transfer to the middle of nowhere, to spend a week duty-free shopping...? Shocked
Are they still talking to you?? Is there anything for non-skiers to do in Livigno?!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did Tignes ( Le Lac ) last Christmas and Mrs CP who does not ski found plenty to do - nice walks across the lake, spa, rides up on the Aeroski and funicular to meet us for lunch etc. And this year the new Aquatic centre 'le Lagon' there is an added bonus this year.

We have also been to Canada and the US where there are excellent facilities for non-skiers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would vote for Chamonix, Zermatt or Wengen, loads to do round these places. We've done each of these resorts with non-skiers and they have loved the places, Wengen particularly so as you have the mountain railways etc, but also can come down to Interlaken and other nearby places too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megève would be the best place for non-skiers in the Northern French Alps IMO, and pretty good for skiers too. Charming town and all the facilities.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy