Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talking the talk

Poster: A snowHead
This is a very interesting discussion guys...

...not least because I feel it's going to help me with my BASI stuff this season.
ssh wrote:
Can you see that, since fore/aft balance is so important, the position you find yourself in while in balance in your boots on your skis is a key?

I find that a very reasonable proposition.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, ssh, Another can of worms. What is neutral?

My take is that your shins should be touching the tongue, with further fore movement possible by flexing.

However, the race coach in me says that as our bindings are already mounted 2/3 of the way back on a typical race ski, then the shin/tongue pressure should be slightly more than just "touching"........

And that's Martin Bell's take on it too....

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/activities/wintersports/story/0,,418249,00.html

But just to clarify - for a recreational skier - I don't like to see people "hanging" in the front of their boots.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have this book which was recommended by my first Pilates instructor about 5 years ago.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Helen Beaumont. Looking at that I stumbled across Get on the Ball: Discover Your Longest, Leanest Body...

They'll need more than a ball to find my longest leanest body Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight wrote:
PhillipStanton, ssh, Another can of worms. What is neutral?

Excellent. I like worms.
veeeight wrote:
My take is that your shins should be touching the tongue, with further fore movement possible by flexing.

Interestingly, the BASI guys I've been taught by in Morzine are in the neutral = not touching camp. I could also swear that it's the position of the Murray Camp guys in Whistler - although stuarth might be able to comment if he's passing...

veeeight where do you, errr, "stand" on the ball / heel issue?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
......most peeps can't pul them selve back up I find - I'm frequently horrified how weak many of my really quite young students are in this region.

Really, from how far back?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

veeeight where do you, errr, "stand" on the ball / heel issue?

For advanced skiers - start the turn on the ball of the foot, as you progress through the turn you should finish on the heel.

Is that what you meant?

Quote:
Interestingly, the BASI guys I've been taught by in Morzine are in the neutral = not touching camp. I could also swear that it's the position of the Murray Camp guys in Whistler

Ah, but was that teaching methodology, ie; in some boots, the forward lean angle is so aggressive that in order to get someone to stand in the middle of their cuff - I have to sometimes say leave a gap in the front and back, and then 5 mins later they are just touching the tongue.......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight wrote:
For advanced skiers - start the turn on the ball of the foot, as you progress through the turn you should finish on the heel.

Is that what you meant?

Yes.

I'd be interested in easiski's view. Not for the sake of argument ("Is this the 10 minute argument?"), but for the sake of understanding.
veeeight wrote:
Ah, but was that teaching methodology, ie; in some boots, the forward lean angle is so aggressive that in order to get someone to stand in the middle of their cuff - I have to sometimes say leave a gap in the front and back, and then 5 mins later they are just touching the tongue.......

Maybe. Which takes us full circle back to ssh's comment surely?

My head's beginning to hurt. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK. Just to hurt your head a little more.

"Start on the BoF and finish on the heel" is a teaching methodology. It just gives the student the picture.

In reality this is impossible, if you want to work the ski fore-aft during the turn.

The technique is:

Phase 1 (completion to neutral) - Ankles fully extended (open). (In this position, actually, you'll be pressing down on the gas pedal hard with your BoF. Your calves will be hard against the back of the boot.

Phase 2 (neutral to fall line) - edge (and/or steer) the skis into the fall line, establish the new turning platform. CoM maintains momentum, moving forward and inside the arc.

Phase 3 (fall line to completion) - progressively increase edge able through angulation. Flex lower joints to manage pressure.

But this is too techno now, esp in the written form. Much easier to explain and do on the hill.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That makes sense veeeight.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll have to come back to this one - must go to work. May find time during the day, but it's difficult. Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, I agree with veeeight, up to a point, but when he talks about advanced skiers, I would suggest that we're looking at Grade 2 + level skiing, as the pressure on the tail of the ski/heel movement is very subtle indeed. Actually I've written to John clarke at Eurosport asking him not to talk too much about this. In the past I've had a number of peeps who've said "oh but you're supposed to be on your heel at the end of the turn", when they've interpreted this as leaning back!

I like to think of my shins snuggling into a nice tongue shaped duvet all the time, and squashing the duvet for action. Same thing that V8 said but a different analagy. I would go a bit more with the Italians in that I like to start the turn with an extension of the leg, applying pressure to the big toe area of the boot/ski. You can then ride this through to the apex of the turn, when you begin to relax or flex the legs to absorb the pressure (same as V8 at the end really). Thus nowadays only having one extension movement and one flexion movement (as opposed to the bad old days of down - up - down or "plier, planter, sauter".) It's important that you ankle flexes more than your knees or you will end up in the back seat.

From your point of view, of course, you'll have to follow the BASI line regardless. Shocked I think they're too far back in their stance - but there you are.

From a biomechanical standpoint, I checked with some top bods a couple of years ago, (I've worked extensively in the Sport & Exercise Science Department at the University of Bath) when this argument was raging, and they felt that you should stand on the balls of your foot as that is where you would normally stand for good balance, and that's where you generate forward movement from. Anyway they are some of the best in the world so I believe them. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
I like to think of my shins snuggling into a nice tongue shaped duvet all the time, and squashing the duvet for action.

We're still on skiing here? Just checking...

easiski wrote:
It's important that you ankle flexes more than your knees or you will end up in the back seat.

That's a very useful point.

easiski wrote:
From your point of view, of course, you'll have to follow the BASI line regardless. Shocked I think they're too far back in their stance - but there you are.

Therein lies a very pertinent observation - if you want to pass a BASI 3 (or any other skiing quali), you have to comply with the system!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

PhillipStanton, I agree with veeeight, up to a point, but when he talks about advanced skiers, I would suggest that we're looking at Grade 2 + level skiing, as the pressure on the tail of the ski/heel movement is very subtle indeed.

Yup I would concur, it's rare that you see a BASI3 doing this, and even rarer to see a recreational skier doing this.

Quote:
I think they're too far back in their stance - but there you are.

Interesting observation. I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I would prefer skiers to keep their shoulders above their toes, to even out the fore-aft picture. ie' I think many ski with their backs too upright.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know I'm coming in at a tangent here but I've had 3 weeks of lessons and 3 more weeks on snow without lessons. I feel that i progressed reasonably quickly as I spent my youth ice skating and rollerblading and playing rugby and hockey and running. Now i mostly just watch really good skiers, video myself and then watch it back and try and make myself look like them. I'm not too fussed about having the best technique or over thinking it but might this method cause me problems later on?
ski holidays
Depends what your objectives are.

If you're happy cruising the groomed blues and reds on holiday - just enjoy the skiing.

If you want to tackle off-piste, variable terrain, bumps, powder etc. - take a lesson.

If you want to pursue this as a sport - take a lesson and some coaching.
snow report
element wrote:
I know I'm coming in at a tangent here but I've had 3 weeks of lessons and 3 more weeks on snow without lessons. I feel that i progressed reasonably quickly as I spent my youth ice skating and rollerblading and playing rugby and hockey and running. Now i mostly just watch really good skiers, video myself and then watch it back and try and make myself look like them. I'm not too fussed about having the best technique or over thinking it but might this method cause me problems later on?

I gave up lessons after three weeks. Worst mistake I ever made in skiing. I spent the next 15 years perfecting my bad habits and restricting myself to terrain I felt comfortable on. That didn't mean I didn't enjoy the skiing, but I'd be a much better skier now and able to ski all the mountain if I'd had lessons from a good instructor every so often.
ski holidays
Hehe, i was pretty sure that would be the response, but was kind of hoping it wouldn't be:)
cheers guys:)
lesson it is
latest report
element wrote:
Hehe, i was pretty sure that would be the response, but was kind of hoping it wouldn't be:)
cheers guys:)
lesson it is

Yeah, I've only had one weeks lessons, and was able to go down blacks etc, in what i thought was good enough technique etc, so i never bothered with lessons my next 2 times and got on the best, for what we were doing having craic etc. But I posted a video on this link, you may have seen it and my techniqie is pretty crap, and like yourself, play fair bit of sport so fit, so that was probably making up for lack of technique. May try a private lessons to see if i couldn;t correct it a bit.
Where ya from in NI?
snow conditions
element wrote:

element, I know people who have skied like that for years and are perfectly happy. I think, as veeeight says - it depends on what you want out of your skiing.

It's easy to get carried away trying to be good at stuff. Mrs PhillipStanton and I learned to dinghy sail a few years ago and got stuck into trying to "be better" at it. But, in truth, we've neither the time nor inclination to be good at sailing - or do those things you need to do to be good at sailing, like racing. After three years we were finally brave enough to admit that we're rubbish at it and that we enjoy it despite the fact we'll never be good.
snow conditions
Quote:

MhicEasmuint

Im from lisburn, yourself?
I identify with the sailing anecdote Smile
snow conditions
Portglenone, I'm probably in a similar situation, will probably only be able to ski 1 or 2 weeks a season so it will be more an enjoyable holiday rather than serious skiing, although, I need to the my technique sorted as it should make it easier for me int he long run.
snow conditions
MhicEasmuint,

just for you...
whole thread of exercises etc.... but they will take a while to arrive... you can however work through them

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=577059#post577059
snow report
Interesting topic. I take customer surveys at Copper Mountain. There's a question about level of skiing, as well as how long they've been skiing, and how often they get to the slopes. I find that the people who live in Atlanta, Florida, Texas, etc. who get about five ski days a year are more apt to call themselves "advanced experts," whereas locals who ski every week will call themselves "advanced intermediates.

To me, the key word is "do." if someone tells me that they "do" Black Diamonds, I try to stay far away from them when I ski!
latest report
little tiger,

Looks good, with more to come, will practice that doing movements and always returning to the "D Stance", my natural positon when skiing so far has been all wrong.
snow conditions
veeeight, Yes -n I think they have a tendency to be too upright (although they seem to be dead fussy about the rounded lower back). I am, for sure - bu then I'm protecting my dodgy (very) lower back - I acn adopt a better position, but after a short while it starts to cause problems. However, if your weight is over the middle of your foot, then having your shoulders over your toes is not so natural. I like the "Tony knows" thing that what posted the other day!
ski holidays
MhicEasmuint wrote:
little tiger,

Looks good, with more to come, will practice that doing movements and always returning to the "D Stance", my natural positon when skiing so far has been all wrong.

if you are following it then it would not hurt to drop Rick a line or two and let him know... he stopped posting a while back after copping flack... and I sorely missed his input...
I think it would be good for him to know he has some takers for the lower level stuff (ie not super tech talk)
snow report
element, at this late time of night I will chip in with a comment that - while I have felt myself improve by watching good skiers (and to my aesthetic POV it's hard to beat the ESF although the Canadians look nice too) it is really hard to truly understand what you are doing yourself - without external feedback: be that expert advice or simply a mate with a video.

It is very easy to believe that you are doing what you saw (or, believed you saw) and not be doing it, or worse be doing what you thought you saw which isn't what you want to be doing anyway. If that makes any sense whatsoever!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, It makes sense to me DM. I've found seeing myself on video to be the best learning tool I've had.
snow conditions
DM,
Makes sense to me as well, you can't do it without feedback IMV and I'd start with ESF as the benchmark...mostly..!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy