Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talking the talk

Poster: A snowHead
Yoda, Always good your videos are.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, Sounds great, but if the chair doesn't have a safety bar then it's out of the question for me. My vertigo would have me off the thing in no time flat. I was gutted to hear from a regular at Alta this summer that most of their chairs are highter than our Roche Mantel one and with no guards - always had the ambition to ski there - ruined now! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

eng_ch, the wall looks really intimidating from the top, but once the first turn's out of the way it's fine. You can travesrse onto it though, so it's not like you have to stand on the flat path above it and see nothingness! Seriously, well have to work on this stuff in your lesson. I don' think little tiger, will be fit enough by then. Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy I have more control over a horse than a pair of skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, I should hope so, my skis are rubbish on horseback.
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, if you make it to the Anniviers this year, I'm sure you'll have plenty of room wink

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, I know my problems are all in my head Sad Mr Eng will def try more things than me. Although by the end of March this year my head was in a better place than it's ever been Smile Main problem is the line bewteen confidence ( Smile ) and complacency ( Sad ) for me is far too fine. Just don't forget we'll have had barely half a day by the time you get your hands on us - we've usually had a week or so before we get to lessons!

Just as an aside - for the Mondial do the manufacturers bring every model in every length? Popped into one of our local shops today while out hunting and gathering on behalf of the dogs and - to my utmost surprise - they had a whole load of the Scotts: Aztec, Aztec Pro, P3 and Mission. Could have knocked me down wiv a fevver - last year the same shop had nothing but nothing over 70mm waist.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch wrote:
little tiger wrote:
easiski wrote:

little tiger, eng_ch, We'll be best team and show those guys how to do it!!! Laughing Laughing

Very Happy

what a plan... now to work out the logistics!

little tiger, it's called the PSB - gwan, you know you want to! Wink

I admit to stealing a quick peak... but easiski looks all booked up....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
Seriously, well have to work on this stuff in your lesson. I don' think little tiger, will be fit enough by then. Sad

well I won't be fit enough... because I am needing to loose 20kg and old and unfit....

but ... I have a hip again

went home to Oz for 2 weeks.... with 1 week of treatment(3 sessions) I am pain free..... I am having to work at it to stay that way.... but I am starting to be able to walk with a normal stride....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch,
Quote:
I can see from the vids that MhicEasmuint is having a ball (hope you don't mind my using you asn an example), but I'm with little tiger, those knees must be taking a caning and I'm sure he'd have even more fun with more tools available to him in his skiing toolbox.

ski,
Quote:
Quote:
my instructor friends tell me they shudder when they get a bunch of rugby players for a lesson.... they are the pits....

yep ! Too much strength . No fear

easiski
Quote:
Rugby players are the pits from the ski learning point of view. Dancers and gymnasts seem to be best (co-ordination) followed by all types of skating.

easiski,
Quote:
MhicEasmuint, I've just cheated and watched your video at work - I won't even comment. You cannot possibly be in control on a 30 deg slope in that position.

I'd probably be in a similiar category, don't play Rugby, but play Gaelic Football here in Ireland, fairly physical as well. No fear probably apply as well. Never noticed too much troble with knee's on the jumps, strength in legs probably make up for it????
Easiski, would it be my strength in legs making up for lack of technique?

Quote:
You cannot possibly be in control on a 30 deg slope in that position.

God I must look bad alright, lol.

That weeks skiing in that clip was full of messing about, similiar type of stuff in the video and I had only been on a skiing trip with 1 of the group before it.
In LDA it was a more serious group and 4 of us aimed to ski all the slopes and I skied (using that term lightly rolling eyes ) all bar 8 or 9. In that there was only a few falls and was never in danger of hitting anyone, apart from when mate took me out and we slid down the black a good bit. Would i not have some level of control, like i could turn when i want if someone below me by a parallel turn or stop dead by parallel? Awful/basic/poor technique probably but it enables me to do what I want. From just reading this board as last while I now know I have so much to learn. What would be the best way to improve? Private Lessons?

ssh,
Quote:
MhicEasmuint, were you with an instructor in that video? If so, what was s/he working on with you?

Yep, we had an instructor. first day he watched us basically, then the next day two of the girls in our group of 7 who had been to the same resort 4/5 times mentioned about some jumps etc they had done before in the resort. So he said he would show some of them if we wanted, and like me and mate (first time in that resort, our 3rd time skiing) just went with the flow and did alot of jumps. One morning he said he would do carving with us and we did it for 2 runs down the mountain, but then went back to the jumps and messing about as it was better craic.
One day we went down among the pylons where the chair lift went up between the tree's, the snow was fairly deep, how are u meant to ski in deep snow, i was basically leaning back in the boots to keep the toes of the skis near the surface of the snow. I managed it without falling, but technique couldn;t have been right as it was damn hard work.
The next day it was much flatter with more people skiing it and just after one of the pylons the was a high bit where no one skied and it was a bit of a jump. The girls dared the instructor to go over it, he fell doing it so rest of group chickened out, but i gave it a go, but went too slow, so didn;t really jump off it, back of my skis were stil on the ledge so i ended up going face first into the snow. Embarassed
Next day we were doing a red (no one else on it), and he decided to bomb down it (is that the right term, going straight down), only mate and me did it with him and at bottom instructor said could have been going at 90-100km/h. Surely that couldn't be true, like thats near 60mph. It was some adrenaline rush though, wouldn't fancy falling at that speed though. Shocked

little tiger, a speedy recovery to ya
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch wrote:
easiski, I know my problems are all in my head Sad Mr Eng will def try more things than me. Although by the end of March this year my head was in a better place than it's ever been Smile Main problem is the line bewteen confidence ( Smile ) and complacency ( Sad ) for me is far too fine.

eng_ch

that is my problem....
My instructors have been on my case for a few years now that my biggest gains are to be made between the ears....

I have the same problem surfing.... surf coach (female) is far less worried about it than the ski instructors (male)
She says I am sensible and understand my limits... and the confidence will come with the increased skill and good experience.... She swears most of her male clients turn up AFTER they have their "near death drowning experience" ... while the women come (and send their kids) to avoid the same....

My ski instructor described it as "you don't like being out of your comfort zone"
I countered "If that was the case i would not choose to have lessons with you"
he replied "You don't like being out of your comfort zone but are smart enough to know you NEED to be sometimes, THAT is why you ski with me"
I think he was pretty spot on... I choose carefully who I am trusting to extend my comfort zone.. I want those that will do so very professionally... keeping the client as safe as possible but also giving the challenges needed....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MhicEasmuint wrote:

little tiger, a speedy recovery to ya

Thanks....

but it will take a bit to set right as I had forward rotated my right hemipelvis TWICE in the last 1.5 years.....

I think the first time it was not quite right and then i came here... went skiing etc... so it is still settling a bit... the second I rotated it out a lot less... that has settled faster but i was in a lot of pain... which my Oz physio says is from other stuff not from the pelvis(muscles all a bit tight etc)... I have new exercises and must start working harder at getting fit as it settles... When I get home again he will look into a problem I have in that area that may be setting me up for the issues when i am badly behaved - as I have had that problem for about 25 years we think it can wait for now...

IIRC aussie rules(almost gaelic football) players are not usually quite as bad as rugby.... in that they use a little less upper body usually .... and have stronger cores - I know some of these guys stand around on top of fitballs heaving medicine balls at each other... (I also have some idea how far out of the water they can propel themselves in a 10 foot deep swimming pool using only legs for propulsion WOW!) I seem to recall soccer being better again....

You should have strong muscles that "assist" in stabilising your knees if you train properly for gaelic football (the aussie rules guys mostly do)...this will help your knee a bit.... but landing jumps as you do you are putting your knees at great risk of an ACL tear(as i understand it) Try to google for "vermont knee safety" ...there should be a study of knee safety on skis done by a crowd in vermont.... I was taught to jump by jumping up and down on the flat learning to land "soft" with the tips always landing first... I was not taking jumping until I had this nailed down... I am old but if I landed like that my knees would NOT like me....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MhicEasmuint wrote:
From just reading this board as last while I now know I have so much to learn. What would be the best way to improve? Private Lessons?

practice...

but there is a catch...

practice makes permanent

only perfect practice makes perfect...

1)You should take some sort of lesson
I prefer private for the cost/benefit ratio in many of the group lesson situations.... If there is a group of 10 for a 2 hour lesson then you get 120/10mins = 12 mins of instructor time THAT presumes no fiddling around getting people organised etc etc... If you have 2-3 of you wanting similar stuff from a leson then a private can be a cheaper and more effective solution...

2) Take a notebook and pen/pencil with you

3) Take notes on the stuff that works for you. I try to repeat stuff to instructor in my words - then I know I understand what to do. then write down your understanding.

4) Get "homework" from instructor if at all possible (I never had an issue other than some looking a bit surprised). make sure you understand which way to do the exercise "right" and what can go "wrong"(so you avoid that)

5) Do some "homework" everyday you ski... allocate yourself some time on most days (don't ruin a perfect day with friends but you can usually manage it most days if you try) to simply practice the stuff you have been told to do

6) If there is anywhere you could do it safely - go inline skating (maybe an indoor hall?? )... maybe iceskating??

You would be surprised how fast you could learn doing this sort of stuff... you will get more control quite quickly
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh not so nice, don't like seeing the physio, always involves alot of pain, her elbow in a sprained ankle or torn hamstring comes to mind.
Well GAA wouldn;t just be as high as the aussie rules as its an amateur sport, but at times I'd near think it was professional apart from players gettin paid, the time that goes into it.
Yeah would have very strong leg muscles, and when thinking about what you were saying when i was landing there was always a strong pull on my quads when trying to keep me up. So when jumping should be landing on front of ski's, cheers something new learned today, must lean forward more.

Private Lesson probably the best then,
To be doing the homework, another private lesson would probably be needed later in the week again.
Iceskating etc no where handy here to be doing it.

If taking private lesson, what sort or things would i be learnt next. can do Parallel turns no problem, and touched on carving a little bit so far.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK

well I'm no instructor... and i might have that all wrong.... so you should check with one.... but that is what I recall...

did you read this?
http://www.vermontskisafety.com/faq_skiers/faq_skiers_tips.html

just believe me... you will learn some stuff fast... the rest you will be learning for ever....unless you dislike learning for some reason...

there are only a few thingsto learn
a)stance/balance
b)edging
c)steering
d)pressure control

you will learn the same things over and over and over... just all at different levels and combined in different ways etc etc etc... I describe it as being a spiral ramp... you come back to the same stuff but at a higher level each time...

think how much time goes into the GAA training.... the skiing will be similar... the more training the higher the skill set the more training to get to the next level....
BUT the higher the skill set the more FUN you will have...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh it may not help you to watch this guy... but he is a truely awesome skier

when you can ski like him you are not so in need of lessons

http://www.vailbcschools.com/edgechangealpine.htm

You may be a very visual learner though... so it would not hurt to get yourself some footage of really good skiers and watching that...
perhaps watch the CSIA or Italian ski instructor videos that show different levels of turns and see if watching them helps...
latest report
little tiger, cheers, Some interesting stuff on that website about ACL. The way I was jumping i'd be inclined to get the "Boot Induced ACL". Just things I wouldn't be aware of. And def don;t want a CL injury, clubmate done his last year, so simple too just going past a guy.

Int he dangerous Situations bit, i think i am guilty of 2 of them:
* Uphill ski unweighted. - I think after making a turn on a steep slope (hard red/blacks) most of weight would be on lower ski with uphill ski mainly gliding over the surface

* Weight on inside edge of downhill ski tail. (maybe not so guilty of this one, i think most of weight is usually in middle of ski where the boot is).

Could well be guilty of the others but not aware of it myself, prob need someone to watch/tell me:
* Uphill arm back.
* Off-balance to the rear.
* Hips below the knees.
* Upper body generally facing downhill ski.

Private lesson the solution for that i guess.

That guy goin at some rate too. Quality.

What is edging? A kind of turn?
latest report
MhicEasmuint wrote:
Yeah would have very strong leg muscles, and when thinking about what you were saying when i was landing there was always a strong pull on my quads when trying to keep me up. So when jumping should be landing on front of ski's, cheers something new learned today, must lean forward more.

Private Lesson probably the best then,
To be doing the homework, another private lesson would probably be needed later in the week again.
Iceskating etc no where handy here to be doing it.

If taking private lesson, what sort or things would i be learnt next. can do Parallel turns no problem, and touched on carving a little bit so far.
The key to skiing is... (anyone, anyone?)

...balance.

Balance is the reason we do everything we do on skis. We ski into balance from balance. We recover to balance. Forces combine to zero to give us balance.

So, when landing a jump, land in balance. Skis parallel to the slope, body perpendicular to the skis. Avoid jumps with flat landings (good way to blow something like all of your knee ligaments! Shocked ).

To level set, you're not skiing parallel turns or any carving at all, but any instructor is going to get an idea of what you're doing from your warm-up run, so they'll figure that out. Here's the question: where do you want to go in your skiing? What are your personal objectives for it?
snow report
MhicEasmuint wrote:
Int he dangerous Situations bit, i think i am guilty of 2 of them:
* Uphill ski unweighted. - I think after making a turn on a steep slope (hard red/blacks) most of weight would be on lower ski with uphill ski mainly gliding over the surface
Good catch. This is true.
MhicEasmuint wrote:
* Weight on inside edge of downhill ski tail. (maybe not so guilty of this one, i think most of weight is usually in middle of ski where the boot is).
Umm... Nope. You're doing this constantly.
MhicEasmuint wrote:
Could well be guilty of the others but not aware of it myself, prob need someone to watch/tell me:
* Uphill arm back.
* Off-balance to the rear.
* Hips below the knees.
* Upper body generally facing downhill ski.
Check, check, check, check. Oh-oh! More reasons to get some quality instruction!
MhicEasmuint wrote:
Private lesson the solution for that i guess.
Or quality group lessons. It depends on how you learn. You'll likely learn faster in a private, though.
MhicEasmuint wrote:
What is edging? A kind of turn?
Edging is what happens when you tip your ski so that it's not flat to the snow. You've "edged" into the snow and are "edging". Edging is required for any kind of turn, and a perfectly carved turn is often considered 100% edging (which is oversimplified, but will work for this explanation, I think).
snow report
ssh,
personal objectives, none really set yet, only been 3 times, each time in fairly large group - 20 or more (most in 20-30 age bracket), always been deadly weeks craic, skiing and messing about and nightlife.

I love the skiing, no interest in a summer holiday now, love the adrenaline rush, so far its all been fun, fun, fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MhicEasmuint, it'll help you if you think about where you want to go in your skiing in terms of terrain, experience, conditions, or sensations. You can, of course, allow your instructor to pick the path for you as some like to do, too. I always believe it's better to know where you want to go so that you'll have a better probability of getting there...
snow conditions
ssh, Well, first goal would have to be technique, as it is all wrong at the minute, could so myself some serious damage. I'd be open to an instructors suggestions after that.
ski holidays
So, learning to ski in balance would be worthwhile, and a goal that I think you could reach in the first lesson or two. Go for it! More video! Wink
ski holidays
Yeah - knees take ages to recover and don't really do quite so well after damage.... nice idea to protect them if you want to stay active in older age...

ssh has already showed you why I dragged up that website for you.... you are obviously athletic... but that same athleticism without the technique is likely to put you in trouble (I know one of my friends did just that while skiing in Norway many years ago as an exchange student.... she is currently looking at needing her knee rebuilt and arthritis and back problems all from that knee) You don't need the trouble...

I think what ssh means re deciding where you want to go is more along the lines of
a) do you want to race?(go really really fast)
b) do park stuff - jumps pipe rails etc
c) off-piste, out of bounds hiking for turns stuff
etc....

because after you get some basic technique you may lean a bit more one way or another depending on what you want to do... (Me I'm a fence sitter... i just want to ski better next year than this year.... Twisted Evil )
latest report
MhicEasmuint wrote:
ssh, Well, first goal would have to be technique, as it is all wrong at the minute, could so myself some serious damage. I'd be open to an instructors suggestions after that.
Got to thinking about this some more... Think about this: when you're skiing, you should not need to use the skis as levers to hold you up. You shouldn't be standing on them in a way that would cause you to fall if you weren't bound onto them. You should be balanced like you would be if they were a surfboard with no bindings. That's your ideal position and approach to skiing.

Now, of course, you'll be moving into and out of this position as you ski, but that is the key position. Again, balance.

If you watch yourself ski, you'll see that you would fall over backwards if you didn't have your ski tails and the stiff boots "nailed" to them to keep you up.

Now, I am no "ski god", but take a look at the difference in how I am standing on my skis here (compared to your skiing in that video):

...and also, here is how to look the real jester on the snow:

(they surprised me; I was just doing a drill, and faisasy from EpicSki took the shot)... The point, though, is that you can't do that if you're using your ski as a lever fore or aft. Not saying you should do the one-footed drill, by the way, only using it as an example of balance.

Hope this is helpful...
latest report
MhicEasmuint,

see if this helps a bit....
this is what the parallel turn you are trying to do should look like

http://www.vailbcschools.com/BASICPARALLEL.htm

can you see the difference at all

Check out in the montage.... that guy has his shoulders over his knees and toes and his hip above his heel now have a look at yours?
snow report
As I late comer to this thread I'd like to agree with eng_ch, original sentiments.

IMHO.

People do over estimate their ski abilities, I have on many occassions. How can anyone be a black run skier on one or two weeks ski-ing? I know that there are now 'real' snow indoor facilities as welf as the tried and tested dry slopes. If you use these facilities you can build up the required techniques. Stand back on any slope and you easily see the real skiers, they make it look smooth and effortless (thats because it is!). BTW, even I look real hot on a green or blue run, man I could even give lessons! wink (joke). To see the really good skiers, do the same on a more difficult slope. I wont be one of them though!

At the same time you will every combination of level as well. It's not supposed to be perfect!

It's alway easy to pick holes on forum posting after the event but as eng_ch suggest some are really worrying. When you see comment like 'had one weeks tuition only', and then claim to be able to ski. hmm.. One post I've seen, and I cannot rember where, stated they could ski blacks, a few posts later, the same person was asking 'what is side slipping?'. I dont believe it was a joke, but a serious question!

I restarted ski-ing two years ago after a 18 year layoff, I didnt fall over once all week. Smile That means nothing though, I chose carefully where to ski and how I skied it. And BTW, I side slipped many times and intend to do the same again, as and when I require.

Growl starts: Mad I'm not sue if it's age, or that things have changed over the years, (probably age) but there does appear to be far more people who are ski-ing far beyond their abilities, and bordering on dangerous. In that same first week back, I saw 3 serious accidents due to 'dangerous ski-ing colisions'. I was nearly taken out once myself, when in a lesson. The instructor got to the idiot before I did and probably saved me from 'educating' him. He was probably one of the 'have one weeks lessons can ski any slope' brigade. Shame the instructor stopped me from applying the 'natural selection' process! Mad Growl over!

Now, must prepare my next posting.... "On my second day of ski school, was on this off piste black run, on a 70% slope, avalance conditions, deep powder, we'd just been tought how to snow plough. The instructor could not have been any good, as the snow plough turn didnt work". Really means... today I skied the green run by the ski tow and I still cannot stop or turn! wink

Without the correct technique and tuition, advancement will be slower. If all people want to do is to talk a good ski, then good luck to them. To me though, the point is having fun, but safetly and in control. Have tuition if you wish or not, but (IMHO) people progress less without it. Have fun, be safe.

TTFN
snow report
Even better, check out this example of how to actually use the ski's sidecut to allow the ski to turn you:

http://www.vailbcschools.com/CARVEDUPHILLARCS.htm

...and this is where you're going with it:

http://www.vailbcschools.com/LONGCARVE.htm

Again, look at the balance and how the skier stands in the middle of the ski.
ski holidays
little tiger, thanks for that link to the Vail school. They have some good videos demonstrating core technique.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 6-10-06 6:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fraserp wrote:
... How can anyone be a black run skier on one or two weeks ski-ing? ...
I have been sceptical too, but skiing this year with a 15 yr old that had only 1 week under his belt convinces me otherwise. The only difference between him and others that had skied 10-15 weeks was that he was better than many of them. When I took a bit of a tumble on the black Face going into Val d'Isere, he brought my skis down for me, which I had scattered fairly liberally over the slope.

There are some real naturals out there and while I (and many others) may take forever to improve, others do take to it instantaneously.
latest report
The young gentlman refered to above, seems to be an exception. Again just take a look at the slopes and the techniques used. The analagy of new drivers was used earlier and I thank that what really happens in many cases. Generally though you cannot have the necessary experience to be considerd competant in any area, whether it be sport or work, with such a short introduction. I envy him!

Many, just think they are good, and are really just a danger to themselves and others. I really wish I was as good as I think I am! wink
ski holidays
For me, the biggest hurdle that people seem to have in learning to ski, is overcoming their instincts to lean back. It seems to me if you learn at an age where you aren't aware of your own mortality then it helps a lot.
ski holidays
little_tiger,
Quote:
I think what ssh means re deciding where you want to go is more along the lines of
a) do you want to race?(go really really fast)
b) do park stuff - jumps pipe rails etc
c) off-piste, out of bounds hiking for turns stuff
etc....

At minute, no real desire for any of them, happy with the on piste runs at the minute, although like odd bit of speed and odd small jump (as in clip), but nothing as serious as racing down a whole slope or doing them pipes or rails, I'd probably kill myself on them with my current technique. Probably a fence sitter, like yourself just get better with time.

ssh,
Quote:
Got to thinking about this some more... Think about this: when you're skiing, you should not need to use the skis as levers to hold you up. You shouldn't be standing on them in a way that would cause you to fall if you weren't bound onto them. You should be balanced like you would be if they were a surfboard with no bindings. That's your ideal position and approach to skiing.

Yeah , guilty there, I find myself correcting my balance frequently with leg muscles if weight too far forward or back.

little tiger, Good video's,
Parallel - When I'm actually thinking about what I am doing, I do most of it, reminds me of when doing the lessons, was doing it like that, but not sure if my ski's would have been as close together, or upper body as perfect. I just haven't been doing enough "perfect Practice" of it.

Carving video's, uphill one, looks exactly as lesson again when doing it, i think i was doing the uphill one right, but again never practiced it much, as we went back to the messing about. In the long carve turns i was a bit apprehensive about leaning over so much, I thought i would have fell over, do you need a bit of speed to be able to do it?
ski holidays
MhicEasmuint, I think you'll find there's a dry slope at Craigavon (hope I've spelt that right). You can get to work on your technique there snowHead
snow report
ssh, while in the general area, I think those vids are interesting primarily because the skier is NOT doing what is being preached, and there is a lot of twisting steering going on.

In the first one it's very noticeable that the traverse from viewer's left to right is initiated with a very active leg steer (i.e. doing what is explicityly forbidden just in the text line above). Just as the skier turns from pointing directly at the camera you see the puff of snow from the heel of the right ski as the skis turn, and there is no way that a ski will turn that sharply with that little edge angle. OK, so the rubric is talking about starting from a 45 degree traverse, so this could be argued to be just a positioning manoeuvre, but wouldn't it have been better to have shown a single turn type in the vid - particularly as this is the only point where the skier is being shown face-on and you could actually see the degree of angulation and edge tip intended (it's impossible to see this from the camera angle in the actual traverse section). The traverse from right to left looks cleaner.

In the second vid, the skier does appear to be carving the centres of the turns, but again there is a huge tighten up and skid on the exit to the turns, and I'm not entierely convinced about the turn initiation either. This is particularly noticeable on the first two turns of the full speed section, and the first turn on the slowmo - the turns tighten up hugely at the end, and a great plume of snow is kicked up as it becomes a twisted skidded turn rather than a carve. It's also noticeable how after the tight finish in all three of those turns the turn suddenly stops and the skier starts skiing almost straight, but without changing edge angle until they stand up a metre or two later on - so they're clearly doing something other than using the ski geometry to make the turn.

They're intersting vids for how turn shapes can be combined, but IMHO dreadful for showing what a carved turn actually is. I'm not saying I can do any better (and of course I'm far from convinced that carved turns are the be-all and end-all - there are plenty of other equally useful and important tools), but I'm not making training videos Little Angel !!!
snow conditions
MhicEasmuint, the only other thing I would say from your videos (and is backed up by ssh's photos) is this: Mother Nature gave us a joint between our hips and our ankles - use it! Laughing In your vids you look like your legs are splinted, which is probably one of the reasons why you look like your skis are in control and you're just along for the ride. Seriously, everyone makes fun of the French ski instructor mantra of "bend ze knees" but my lightbulb moment last season was precisely that, specifically in relation to ice. I could never handle ice because I would tense up, freeze and hence lock all my joints. Once I experienced the "bend ze knees" at the end of the turn, lo and behold I was controlled on ice. Whether I can recreate that this season remains to be seen Wink

I also wanted to give you a big thumbs up for being a good sport. Inadvertently you made my point for me, but you've not only taken it in good part but seem to be taking on board what people are saying. It's not easy to hear that you're not doing something quite as well as you thought you were or that you are making mistakes you're sure you weren't. Good on you.
latest report
Awh yeah, learnt form this and know i have much more to learn now. Just biting at the bit now to get away again. Roll on January
ski holidays
eng_ch, good point. May I take it a bit further? Each of your joints should be moving as they can (the ankles, of course, being more restricted (being in the boots) than the other joints are). Over on Epic, Notorious Spag mentioned an interesting word picture: each of these joints is a coil in a spring. As the spring compresses and extends, all the coils work together to do that. There is no compression in just one coil while the others are stationary. So should it be with our joints: keep 'em all moving in concert and in the same relative ranges. And stay in balance... (I've heard that somewhere recently... Wink )
latest report
ssh, on the basis of KISS (and I'm no ski expert!) - if MhicEasmuint, starts to use his knees, the other joints will inevitably follow. The one is a factor of the other. It's all about hinges, innit? If you are standing up, you can't bend your knees with no effect on the hip joint, the hip cannot stay static unless the knees are too
snow conditions
I actually don't like little tiger's pic very much because it appears to show downsink at the beginning of the turn - Oh no!!!! (faints) - that's toooooooo old school for words and causes an interruption in the flow down the hill (PSIA phrasing there). Sadly I can't watch the vids on this very slow connection.

MhicEasmuint, I would go further than ssh, actually, although I like his explanation. I think there is divergence here. Most mainland europeans (not sure about BASI) now believe that we should stand on the balls of our feet, knees over the toes (roughly) and hips over the balls/arches - no further back than that. Thus our skeleton is "stacked up" one bone on top of the other, and actually holding us up - which is what it's there for. Any further back position (or indeed forward) results in muscles having to take over the work of holding us up. Now the quads will do this, but they complain - that's not what they're for! Try thinking of it this way: the brakes on the skis are in front of your toe bindings - the accelerator is behind your heel.

Good exercise you can do at home - try walking in the position displayed on the vid.... You'll get the picture double quick time!!

skiing on one leg is very good for correct balance - as ssh, says, if you'r out of balance you can't do it! Start on lower leg in traverse, try to hold your uphill ski up for the whole width of the piste, it'll take a good few gos.... do this both sides. When you can do it easily, try wiggling your lifted leg around, moving it any which way - it'll take a few gos but stick at it. When you can do both of those, change to standing on the uphill ski and repeat both exercises with the lifted (downhill) leg - much harder, but practise makes perfect. When you can do all these I've got loads of more difficult balancing exercises to try - sorry USA types - they're nearly all in TRAVERSE.... wink wink

The Brits tend to refer to "the sweet spot" the French call it the "point d'equilibre" (point of balance) - I like theirs better. That's the point on your skis where you feel perfectly balanced and the whole world seems to be in total harmony ........... (sings little tune). Cool

eng_ch, Not all will bring all skis in all sizes - I'll be very surprised if we get any Missions in the shorter length - good chance for Aztec I should think - that's why I've asked friends with shops to ask their reps to see if ....)
snow report
easiski, well put! That pic of me on one ski was during a carving exercise, playing with the inside/outside edges and carving a single "tram line" (did I get that right?). Balance is the only way you can do that, but if you do, you'll get a sense of just what your ski(s) can do on their own. It's also more difficult to force a pivot when you're tipping a ski; you're more likely to catch that edge and go down.

What are your other drills, easiski? I'm in a search to expand my repertoire.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy