Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tour operators you would use?

Poster: A snowHead
Esprit brilliant for children, but not so wonderful for adults, everytime we have been with them the food was not good, once or twice it was virtually inedible (and the hotels were falling apart). However the small people loved it so would probably use them again.

Ski Peak to Vaujany were really very good, well organised, excellent staff, ski leading was fun. Unfortunately the ESF in Vaujany was dreadful for children, it was bordering on cruelty, but that not the fault of ski peak who we would use again.

Unusually, for it was miles better than we expected, and had read about, Panorama to Andorra were excellent and it was easily the best mainstream tour op organised holiday we have been on.

However tend to do DIY mostly as you are in charge of your own destiny (ish) Except for trips to usa and canada when we have never been able to do it cheaper than tour ops, and usuually you don't even see the rep after the transfer bit.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 3-10-06 14:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This has now turned into a re-run of 'DIY versus tour operator' threads from the past.

If people are happy with tour operators, good luck to them. Tour operators have their strengths. At one time most of the skiers leaving these shores were on a package of one sort or another.

Certainly weekend flights do not come cheap, even with the budget airlines. So if you want weekend to weekend trip a tour operator can be cost effective.

Furthermore, if funds are tight, you will do well to beat some of the last minute deals available.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, interesting you cite http://www.a-t-s.net/, we tried to book with them for Easter 2006, but ended up using www.3vt.co.uk (who I'd happily recommend for transfers to the three valleys). ATS were happy to offer transfers, allow booking (including taking credit card details) but were unable to deliver on what their website offered - I get the feeling I'm not the only one to have had this experience. I got the impression that they'd started with a managable number of routes which they serviced directly but then started offering a very large range of routes on their website which they relied on third parties to deliver.

My feeling for the prices on private transfers were that costs, even to the three valleys, are reasonable for groups of 4-8 people but for less than 4 it's definitely rather pricey.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In personal experience we have booked with Ski BEat before, found them very good and their transfer times are reasonable. Also offer the option for travelling yourself which was useful.

Have booked the last 3-years for group of 10 ourselves and has been no trouble - chalet booked direct, the flyers booked own cheap flights, we drove. DIY in my experience is way to go if you have kids as can be more flexible with what you want.

As someone else pointed out - do what works for you Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
10 out of 10 for Ski Independence! snowHead Very Happy

Despite not offering SCGB members 10% discount as they normally do Sad , they have just matched Ski the American Dream's SCGB discount of 10% for me (their original quotes were both the same, for a week in Sun Peaks, week in Big White). That's £270 saved Very Happy . Just got to do the final persuading of the OH now rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have used First Choice - never again

Thomson - no problems
Crystal - no problems but check prices against Thomson - same company different prices
Airtours - no problems
Panorama - no problems again check priices against Airtours.

Sometimes the TO route can be much cheaper than DIY
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Booked with Thomsons last year for a group of 19 from Belfast to Les Deux Alpes, and I have to say everything went fine, Transfer from Chambery was about 2 hours with a changeover on bus about half way, where some others were going to Alpe d'Huez, but there was no delay there. The rep was was spot on, and very helpful to any request made.

Booked with Crystal (Although they are same as Thompsons) this year for 25 to Alpe d'Huez, hopefully everything will go as well again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have used Inghams a couple of times and found them fine.
must relate that we were with them once in Canada when trans continental highway was in danger of being closed and inbound flights were VERY delayed. needed to stay an extra night in Calgary, and they put us up in the Fairmont. No extra charge !!! couldn't fault 'em at all for that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski Olympic and Snowcoach did the job for us, good value for money and efficient helpful service. Skiworld OK too - low budget, last minute booking, fun chalet, no complaints. No experience of the fancy operators.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found Nielson to be very good for a trip to Banff last New Year:-

- I couldn't have beaten the price booking myself and they were comparable with other TO's who offer less (ie charter flights)
- Prices quoted in brochure were for 2 (not 4 with loads of supplements for 2 in a room)
- Air Canada flights at sensible times
- Pass and Lesson prices were good
- Transfers were efficient

Having said that my 3 trips to Europe next year will all be DIY.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
In personal experience we have booked with Ski BEat before, found them very good and their transfer times are reasonable. Also offer the option for travelling yourself which was useful.

I agree, the ski beat chalet was very nice and the hosts were very good with excellent food.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have used Mark Warner many times, and never found them to be less than outstanding.

I have used Scott Dunn once, and look forward to using them again.

I've never DIY'ed for a ski trip, mainly because I like the social atmosphere of a chalet/chalethotel.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wasn't the EOSB a DIY trip then Kramer or does it sit at a level somewhere between DIY and organised?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hoppo wrote:
ATS were happy to offer transfers, allow booking (including taking credit card details) but were unable to deliver on what their website offered - I get the feeling I'm not the only one to have had this experience. I got the impression that they'd started with a managable number of routes which they serviced directly but then started offering a very large range of routes on their website which they relied on third parties to deliver.

Good feedback about ATS. I was surprised at the range of routes now offered. I know them from the late 90s when they had a couple of minibuses doing Chamonix, Morzine and Avoriaz and they were very good.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier, I won't tell Michelle and admin you just wrote that!
ski holidays
I agree about Ski Independence - we used them to book our honeymoon - Very professional and their staff/contacts in Canada were great.

I think they also do Switzerland and France.
snow report
Kramer, Embarassed that didn't quite read how I meant it, let me try again. Where does the EOSB sit on the scale with organised at one end and DIY at the other?
latest report
FenlandSkier, at the organised end. On top of all the TOs. C'mon for us guys all we had to do was make sure that we got to EMA, and then it was all sorted for us. Our lurverly rep met us off the flight, and it was all sorted from then on.
snow conditions
Kramer, agreed, it was smoother than a TO and a lot more fun on the coach Very Happy
snow conditions
Kramer, oh yes it was like a TO holiday but better, it was specifically tailored to our demands. A premium service without the premium price.
ski holidays
We used Scott Dunn last year - first time we'd used a TO but peeps wanted a chalet and as little hassle as poss. Not cheap but, we felt, very good value. Treated like royalty, didn't have to lift a finger all week, the chef in our chalet had been working in a Michelin-starred restaurant the previous summer and was superb (cauliflower capuccino followed by butternut squash and feta spring rolls anyone?), the chalet manager was running round all the hire shops in Courchevel to find the skis we wanted to try, liaised with the ski schools etc.

One of our party managed top bust her ACL on the first day and the chalet manager was popping in every day to check how she was doing, bringing her magazines on request, organising the resort physio to come etc etc etc. Mind you she (the chalet manager) was gobsmacked that we dealt with calling the pisteurs and everything ourselves and the first she (the chalet manager) knew of teh accident was when she visited the chalet that evening - she wasn't used to peeps who are used to being independent.

Customer service in London was top notch before during and after, the only hitch being that the airline tickets were delayed owing to SD reprinting their document wallets, resulting with one chap still sans tickets 2 days before departure, but SD's recovery was spot on as they couriered them to his office.

Using VIP this year as they are significantly cheaper and on paper you can see why, but hopefully not too much of a drop from the style to which we have become accustomed Wink. Our problem is we are usually travelling with an uneven number of singles so always get hit with empty bed charges Sad
snow report
I think you can find more information at directholidays.co.uk or aito.com or holidayhypermarket.co.uk/Tour-Operators .

Thank You.
snow conditions
Inghams would always be our choice for Canada.

The only other we've used for there was Crystal. Okay, but the reps aren't as good if you do need them for any reason. (child broke arm on last day - rep wasn't interested!)

We use Balkan Holidays for Bulgaria - cheap and cheerful and reasonably well organised.

First choice was a disaster many years ago - i've not used them since.

Crystal okay for last minute cheap european holiday - again assuming you don't want/need rep services!
snow report
I tend to stick to Crystal purely for the choice of regional departures. I really don't want the hassle of flying from gatwick or Manchester.
snow report
This thread is from '06! Laughing
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, oh yeah, just spotted that! Clearly we haven't moved on! Laughing
latest report
Crystal. Used them 3 times, no problems
snow report
queen bodecia, 'fraid this thread was sapmmed by rubtheweb, - which is why it surfaced again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a while since I used a TO, but the last one (for three consecutive holidays) was Equity.
ski holidays
Don't often use - but have (and would) use Inghams. Would also use Neilsons - but they don't fly from Scotland, so no good.
ski holidays
I'm mystified by the number of peeps who swear DIY is cheaper. I do DIY for oddly shaped hols like 4 days in St Anton mid week, but for 7 nightrs in a hotel or catered chalet with kids I have never managed to beat a TO's price.

Take a week in any 3 or 4 star hotel in Mayrhofen or Selva, I have tried and tried to do DIY cheaper, I come nowhere near. And TBH my 4 days SC in Mayrhofen in mid Jan is at least as dear as a week booked last minute HB in a decent hotel with a TO.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong, but I won't be holding my breath Smile
latest report
Ghost Dog, £450 each (flight to Zurich, rail transfer, studio apartment) for 2 of us SC in Laax February half term week. TO wont get near that (and it still quite a bit dearer than I paid for Zermatt last half term).
snow conditions
I've used Crystal, Rocketski, and Inghams, all lads trips. They organised flights, transfers, hotel check-in and ski pass and hire gear collection was done on arrival day on all but one occasion. That's all I need from a TO plus the rep to be available at set times during the week in case of query.

Flight times and transfers are not optimal in terms of time or convenience but for a lads trip it's within our tolerance zones most of the time. All trips were cheap, £220ish - £350 max for flights, transfers, HB 2/3* (club) hotel. Ski pass and hire kit extra.
snow conditions
But can you find me flights from Glasgow, 2 rooms chalet board and transfers for New Year in Kaprun for 4 people for less than £2400? I would agree s/c especially is easier as apartment prices booked direct tend to be cheaper, I find that booking hotels direct is often much dearer (in winter). I was horrified by the price that various TOs wanted for a suite in the Grand in Zell in the summer, even with flights they were having a laugh.
ski holidays
blimy - impressive bit of thread resuscitation by our friend from india Wink
ski holidays
I started the thread in 2006 Shocked
I think I have been on hear too long
latest report
Ghost Dog,
http://www.dorfchalets-kaprun.com/austria-chalets-kaprun-rental-prices.aspx
This looks nice

Flight - BMI glagow.Salsburg £345 each

Transfers can't be that hard to sort out

OMG - me doing a DIY thing
Toofy Grin

EDIT - Ski Thompson - challet only (still available)
This traditionally decorated chalet is situated in a peaceful residential area of Kaprun. Located above the resort centre, the Hohe Tauern has good views across Kaprun and the surrounding mountains. If you'd rather not walk down to the lifts, the ski bus stops below the chalet and goes to the local lifts and to the glacier. The chalet is also convenient for the Lechnerberg beginners' ski lift.

I can see now why people do DIY - it's brill fun searching around
ski holidays
Wayne, even when I did tour op holidays I still searched about , the pile of ski brochures was enormous, and I had sheets and sheets of paper with options, calculations and stuff. DIY turned out to be less of a hassle. A few clicks of the mouse and it is all sorted.

snowHead
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
Ghost Dog,

Flight - BMI glagow.Salsburg £345 each

That would be fine if BMI did Glasgow - Salzburg
snow conditions
I hate Kerala. Loathe and detest it. Almost as much as La Thuile.

John.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy