Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Earliest Season Start?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about a very early (pre) season trip and could possibly get away 11th or 25th of November. Are any resorts open at that time and likely to have snow? Recommendations much appreciated. Very Happy

(In addition to La Rosiere of course!) wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes is open for the 11th, but skiing on Grand Motte only, and opening day for the Espace Killy is 25th November (snow conditions permitting)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't go on 11 November, unless you go to a glacier-focused place like Hintertux. Zermatt is scheduled to open most of its system on the weekend of 25 November.
You could also check out Saas Fee, Hintertux, Solden, Stubai, Les Deux Alpes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scheduled opening day for Jasper (Marmot Basin) Canada is 17th November.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys, have looked around and agree with you that 11th is too early. Thinking of Val D 25th - 28th. Have stayed in the hotel Mercure before (and they do short breaks). Flights (easyjet EMA - GVA) are around £48 each return. Looking doable!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AxsMan, IIRC Val d'Isere postponed its opening last season by a week, so perhaps Tignes would be a better option if you are booking in advance? That way you will at least have the Grand Motte as a fail safe. Alternatively, book your flights now and then decide which resort closer to the time when you know what conditions are like. Shouldn't be any problem with getting accommodation at that time of year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, Yes I agree. will be booking the flights soon but leaving the accommodation to nearer the time. Cheers!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a-basin opens next friday
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val Thorens is hoping for 'partial opening' on November 18th. Last season they had to delay a few days and then opened on entirely artificial pistes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair, it was still an ok couple of hours out though. I'll be in Val Thorens from 20th - 30th Nov so am hoping for a miracle and lots of snow.... doing my snow dance as I type!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nightshift, yes it was fine - but if you go up early on the first day beware the French radio reporter trying to interview you in the middle of the Place Caron - my French really wasn't up to it! Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AxsMan, I went to Hintertux last Nov (around the 18th). This is 2.25 hours from salzburg if you decide to go. There was a reasonable amount open, but for us, it was particularly cold (-30 with wind-chill).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok Thanks all, have booked flights, will be snowdancing pretty much constantly until resort is chosen. Very Happy Only 53 sleeps to go! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rusty Guy, maybe so, but there's no way I would take a long haul flight without my toothpaste Laughing

Slightly more seriously, has it become such a hassle for anyone to get into and out of the US that only a few diehards like wtfh will bother in the future?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yoda wrote:
has it become such a hassle for anyone to get into and out of the US that only a few diehards like wtfh will bother in the future?

Not in my experience over the last couple of years. Entry and exit has been very straightforward, with the new biometric checks adding very little time to getting in. Without exception I have been admitted quicker than the delivery of my luggage to the carousel. If their Immigration computer didn't flag up that I have an unusual visa I think it would take about 90 seconds to get processed, but I normally get asked a few questions so all it takes is two or three minutes. If you have a police record I think it is slightly more complicated because you will probably require a tourist visa as the Visa Waiver Programme is not available to you.
ski holidays
Have found a hotel that looks promising at Val Claret : Hotel Vanoise. http://www.hotelvanoise.com/ sounds nice and near the furnicular so handy for Grande motte. Ise stayed there a couple of years back and liked it, has anyone else tried it out?
snow report
Quote:

Slightly more seriously, has it become such a hassle for anyone to get into and out of the US that only a few diehards like wtfh will bother in the future

got through immigration in Chicago last week in a flash. The guy even cracked a joke.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
got through immigration in Chicago last week in a flash. The guy even cracked a joke.

The last few times I've visited the Immigration guys have seemed much friendlier. Don't know if this is 'policy' or just coincidence, but I've not been served by any of the surly characters that some people write about.
latest report
A - Basin! Possibly my favorite place to ride in the world - certainly in the US. I loved it there Smile Sadly, as you say, a long way for a weekend....

I've been to Zermatt, Saas Fee and Tignes around that time of year - Zermatt and Tignes were the best - I agree that you may as well book accomodation at the absolute last minute as it'll be quiet, and just see who has the snow! Watch out though as some hotels do close in November - I've got the best deals at that time by renting apartments direct from the owner, stayed in some lovely places for very little money.
snow conditions
I called Brighton yesterday, they are not opening until Thanksgiving, however, they might they say!!!!
Here is a Question!!! In general! Where do they start seson earlier?
In Utah or Colorado?

Utah seems to me pretty attractive - it is not a long drive from Salt Lake City airport, and very affordable prices (I live in Florida)!
Laughing
So, early beginners! Tell me if i should take a chance and make any reservations for NOvember 13th-17th?
ski holidays
Rusty Guy wrote:
a-basin opens next friday

Really?
I have bee on their web site!
Nothing about next friday!!!!!

It would have been wonderfull.
ski holidays
AxsMan,
Quote:

Have found a hotel that looks promising at Val Claret : Hotel Vanoise. http://www.hotelvanoise.com/ sounds nice and near the furnicular so handy for Grande motte. Ise stayed there a couple of years back and liked it, has anyone else tried it out?

Not stayed there. I have stayed at the Diva a few times. Very French (nice) - very corporate (not so nice) Handy for the GM lift tho'.
snow conditions
Felony, welcome to SnowHeads! If I were you, I'd wait a few weeks, but you will probably find more Colorado resorts open than Utah ones. But there won't be much open.
ski holidays
hey People!

Breckenridge in Colorado is opening NOv 10th!!!!

But the problem is - it is 90 miles from Denver airport!
Who knows the way to get there for better price than 120$ shuttle?

And whoever have been there - how is it?
Razz
ski holidays
Felony, never been there before the start of December. It's a good resort. If you are travelling alone, shuttle is the best way of doing it, but if there are two or three of you, rent a car. The journey is not difficult - get out of the airport, onto the I-70, turn off it a the sign for Breckenridge.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy