Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

IS THERE CHEAP FOOD MOTTARET OR MERIBEL?

Poster: A snowHead
hi. 6 of us are going to meribel-mottaret at the end of feb 07. we are self catering at Pierre & Vacances Residence Les Sentiers De Tueda. does anybody have any info about cheap/reasonable restaraunts (or bars) for food or is there a decent supermarket or am i urinating up a tow rope? any further info on mottaret would be cool.
snow report
 brian
brian
saw, welcome to snowHead s

In the absence of any Mottaret experts I'll put in a nod for a lunchtime stop at l'Arc en Ciel, up the stairs at the bottom of the Saulire téléphérique. Best value lunch in Courchevel, and you're very handily placed for the C 1850 skiing in Mottaret (better than most people based in Courchevel actually).

www.merinet.com , a good source of info for Méribel and Mottaret, suggests there's a Sherpa supermarket.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads, saw. Very Happy If you are going by car, stock up before going up the mountain. Shops in resort will be more expensive, but still much less so than eating (and especially drinking) out and you will find they are open after ski-time, into the early evening, so you don't have to waste ski-time shopping. Is your residence in Mottaret or Meribel? Mottaret is a bit higher, a bit further up the mountain, has a bit better snow as a result and and generally a bit cheaper and lower key. I think the access to pistes is better too, though others might disagree. You'll find lots of skiing available - are you experienced skiers? If not, you will find plenty in that valley without buying the more expensive 3 Valleys pass. Have you booked your holiday already?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
saw, For lunch I can endorse

La Ferme - Piste side in Reberty 2000
Les Granges - at the bottom of the Granges 6 man chair between Les Menuires & St Martin
and the Restaurant at the top of the St Martin bubble/ bottom of St Martin Chair
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saw, welcome to snowHead

The words "cheap" and Meribel don't usually go together but as you are staying in Motarret I can recommend Le Pizzeria in heart of the village as the most reasonable you will get and good quality big pizzas. They also do take away.
Some bars do happy hour straight from the slope and I seem to remember "Down Under"?? at the foot of the slopes and next to tourist office obliges here. Amstel at half price from memory.

There is a take away snack area by tourist office that does quick cheap food eg chips, paninis etc for lunch - about the cheapest you will get.

There is a supermarket not far from where you are staying ansd prices tend to be same in all supermarkets up mountin - that is more expensive than the valley. If you get a chance on way up stop in Moutiers or Albertville to but there - far cheaper

Best to catch meribus into Meribel for the real action and real bars at real prices!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
saw wrote:
does anybody have any info about cheap/reasonable restaraunts (or bars) for food .

Doesnt that defeat the point of going self catering Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, Self Catering means you are responsible for providing your own food. Eating out seems a most sensible option to me. My wife refuses to go self catering.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
stanton, absolutely not. The point of s/c is that you can eat at a different restaurant every night and are not hamstrung if your chalet host or hotel chef can't cook.

... or stay in with a pizza if you can't be bothered.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
saw wrote:
does anybody have any info about cheap/reasonable restaraunts (or bars) for food .

Doesnt that defeat the point of going self catering Puzzled

Not at all.

Self catering is great if you want to have a leisurely breakfast chez vous, a fridge to keep a few beers in and be able to walk around the place starkers (not an image you want to keep in your mind, sorry).

The average self catering apartment, especially in France, is wholly unsuitable for catering puposes (despite the name), because of the ars* aching pain of shopping, lack of room in the apartment, the laughable inadequacy of utensils and the fact that you'd be better off trying to cook over a candle than using an apartment hot plate.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saw, for drinks i recommend the Cactus Cafe on the Chaudanne in Meribel when it's on happy hour. It's very full straight from skiing but empties out and gets cheaper about 6 i think. Bottle of house wine was about 12 euros last year from what i remember, although leaving is a bit of a blur Confused

If you want some good food to keep you going during the day then strongly recommend a visit to the place opposite the 1st stop on the Tougnette gondola. Amongst our friends it's know as the "Lasagne" for obvious reasons!

As others have suggested stop at supermarket on way up if at all possible. There's a Super U a couple of miles before the valley turn off at Brides
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok

Its cahnged a bit since I last went Self Catering. To me when I booked Self Catering you do-it all your self & virtually never went out except to ski Very Happy

If I want to eat out in the evenings then I book a B&B or Room only.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, me too, usually, but an apt can be useful for the reasons I gavem especially if you're en famille.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

me too, usually, but an apt can be useful for the reasons I gave especially if you're en famille.

absolutely. your own fridge for beers and ice and drinks for kids, you can do the kids a beans on toast, you can have breakfast and snacks anytime, your own way, with your own choice of cereal (v important with kids), and if small children are involved, and sleeping in the evenings, you can eat, snack, drink, watch TV etc and keep an ear out for them, starkers if that is what turns you on. Unless money is no object an apartment near the piste can save a fortune in lunches too. For me, if money was unlimited, I would choose self-catering, but in a bigger and smarter apartment, with pool etc, and go out to all the best restaurants in the evenings. It's good to be able to do your own thing. Frosty the Snowman, maybe you should offer to do the catering for the week - or would that be worse?

As for carrying the shopping, yes it's a pain. The "Sherpa" supermarkets, fairly ubiquitous in the French resorts, will deliver and probably others will too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Frosty the Snowman, maybe you should offer to do the catering for the week - or would that be worse?

We both want a holiday!!!, and to be honest the chalet companies we usually go with do fantastic food.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a little Huit a Huit at the end of the Hameau at the top of Mottaret just to the right of the top of the Chalet lift. It isn't open 8 to 8 ,but is not stupid prices and you can get all you need there. They are well set up for the English and supply all the basics of student/self catering nosh. You can make a simple curry or a spag bol for not much more than Uk. Wine and beer are cheaper than at home, so essentials are catered for. Best of all, they do a "special" every night that might be a monster lasagne or a tartiflette that will feed groups of hungry skiers with mountain stodge cheaply.

For extras there is a goodish pizza takeaway just out of the door to the left and if flush you can get a good steak and some local wine at the Crocodile at the other end of the block (The Mark Warner end) for about €30 all in. (You need to book)

The cheap bar is at the Hameau. Their happy hour begins as the Crocodle's ends. Easy.

if you can't get what you want there take the chalet lift down to the bottom, go in the glass doors over the little bridge and there is a sherpa on the right. They are also well stocked and prices are OK.

As you can see I go there a lot, having the use of a flat there (no pimping!). Glad to help if you want any more details. it is a great base for the 3V.
snow conditions
cheers you lot. thats great advice. The self catering thing gives us the flexibility of making our own grub or going out for a liquid dinner etc! lookin forward to the trip. we have booked the ski pass with iglu as there was a deal on where we got the full 3v pass for £130 instead of £160. so for the week of the 24th feb it was £490 each including ski pass. i need to hire some skis and boots now. being a bit of a tight back bottom, can anyone recommend anywhere? or is it best on snowrental.net? ahh, one more thing. i see there is abus which links mottaret with meribel. what time is the las one from meribel back to mottaret? is it walkable with beer shoes on if we miss the bus? thanks again everyone!! i will buy yous a pint if you are there at the same time (well, i'll give you a sip as it sounds expensive!!haaaaa)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton, for me self-catering gives me a choice of sampling all the restaurants in resort, and gives me more space than I would get in an average hotel room, not to mention the beers in the fridge rather than either warm, or rock solid from the window ledge. I never skimp on luxury though.
latest report
Hi,

Don't know about M & M but there's an excellent Mexican over the hill in Les Menuires (don't know what it was called but it was at the base of the slopes, next to an outdoor swimming pool)
latest report
From memory, the last bus is about 11.30 and tends to be crowded. They run to a time-table and are relaible. About every half-hour I think. The walk back from Meribel is possible but a bit of a challenge. It is pretty high up so there tends to be snow on the pavements (well, we hope so!) so you would need light walking boots. BTW I have sort of assumed you are near the top of Mottaret. If you are at the bottom there are plenty of bars and eateries. The hameau bar at the top is the cheapest bar though. There are plenty of hire shops in Mottaret so you should be able to get what you want.

Don't know what sort of level of skier you are, but Mattaret is a superb base for the 3V. Dead centre and well-connected. Getting back to it needs care though. Avoid the Ours run unless you like poling or enjoy watching boarders walking. Just noticed you have gone for the 3V pass so you are expecting to get around. As a piste skier, I think it is the best.

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, we are in the chatelet bit nearish the bottom i think. we are intermediate level so we aim to make full use of the pass! there are 2 skiing (me and a mate) and 4 boarders so i might take them on the "ours" run just to wind em up!!Mad
thanks again for the advice.
ski holidays
Chatalet is down the bottom of Mottaret so quite a long way from the area I spoke about before (where "our" flat is) . There is still a Hiut a Huit (but a different one) not far away with the same services and prices as the one by the Hameau. The Sherpa is past the tennis courts (which of course you will not be able to identify because they will be under 3m of snow!) just to the right. There is a little circle of shops which include a hire shop just past the Sherpa. If self-catering, take a shopping bag. They don't give out plastic bags any more for environmental reasons.

What I said about the Hameau bar still applies, but beware of the closing time of the Chalet lift that goes to the top. It stops running around 8.30 but you can still take in happy hour.

Down at the bottom is a cheap and cheerful take-away sort of place that does burgers and chips etc. There are other restaurants, but tend to be quite pricy. We like the Cote Brune, but it is better at lunch-time. (esp pizzas) There is a sort of wooden platform above the 8 to 8 that has a variety of restaurants, but that is the wrong end for us.

You will be well-placed for the Platieres lift (yellow bubbles) which gets you towards VT. Pas du Lac (the white bubble) gets you quickly towards Courchevel up Saulire.

Don't get me on favourite runs... there are so many delights.

There is no-where I would rather ski.

snowHead
latest report
saw, i have a list of recommended restaraunts on my site under local knowledge

also i have a bus timetable on my site at the bottom of the travel section but they havent yet released this years

hope this helps
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy