Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Womens Skis:Let's try and establish some FACTS.

Poster: A snowHead
lynseyf, Have you compared your ring finger and index finger length?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN wrote:
OK, David Goldsmith, you want a bit of evidence - how about this. Kneel down, put your elbow against your knee, along the ground, stretch out your fingers and put a matchbox on the floor at the end of your fingertips. Now, still kneeling, clasp your hands behind your back, and try to touch the matchbox with your nose.

You will almost certainly fail and fall flat on your face - your wife will almost certainly manage it.

Demonstrates the very different CoM in women and men.

Try it.

Shocked

I'm a boy! Fell flat on face... (well actually I landed on the front padding)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
The odd ones out were the race department Head WC SL: that one needed some serious work - I had to ski properly and with modern technique - couldn't get away with much. Not quite as vicious as the VR27 though!.

are they the black/yellow stripey things?
If so I had them... they are nasty in sloppy snow.... I think I needed to ski them about 10cm shorter than I got them in.... Everyone else I know said the same - they felt they needed them short...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynseyf, Have you compared your ring finger and index finger length?

yeah and in this respect I'm really girly, ie. ring finger much shorter than index finger, 73:80 mm

Are you talking about this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=12391439&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, little tiger - After further research (I started getting in hot water when the 3 women in the office here who tried this particular femininity test all failed), I may have got the box positioning wrong. Change the spec such that the testee places the box on the ground with the fingers of the hand that is on the ground (i.e. so the box sits under approx the middle joint of the index finger), then they all passed - but us blokes still collapse in a heap. Have another go....and reclaim your femininity!

(Alternative explanation: the women in the office are all a bit butch - but I'm not telling them that Wink )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm still a boy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger, but surely with your disability, that's to be expected.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can do it now but I really feel it in my stomach muscles, does this just mean I'm really unfit? Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, I can do it with the box in the original position. Is this why I can't ski? Shall I now go on matchbox nose touching holidays where I can be the best?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
little tiger, but surely with your disability, that's to be expected.

I dunno... would need better explanation of what this is testing/what parts of body used to achieve success....

are you suggesting all males suffer from proprioceptive loss?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, most certainly not, but given the condition as you have described it in the past, then doing an excercise which is dealing with balance will surely be difficult for you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm a girl!!! Toofy Grin

But GrahamN's second description doesn't seem any different to the first Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN wrote:
OK, David Goldsmith, you want a bit of evidence - how about this. Kneel down, put your elbow against your knee, along the ground, stretch out your fingers and put a matchbox on the floor at the end of your fingertips. Now, still kneeling, clasp your hands behind your back, and try to touch the matchbox with your nose.

You will almost certainly fail and fall flat on your face - your wife will almost certainly manage it.

Demonstrates the very different CoM in women and men.

Try it.

Embarassed If I hold my arms out straight behind me I can do that, well I can touch two CD-ROM cases placed on top of each other anyway.

However, I am aware that I have short legs for my height (they only just reach the floor at times) and that these legs, and the bum at the top of them, are bigger than average. I weigh much more than people expect.

Do they do Lotta Luvs in 180cm?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill wrote:
Do they do Lotta Luvs in 180cm?

Suits you sir!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My ring finger is significantly longer than my index finger. Wouldn't rteally call myself 'sporty' though. ANd you couldn't really call my hands 'mascuiline' either.
snow conditions
ski, Course SL, one of the best skis of it's generation.

veeeight, They were really good skis - Merlin?

lynseyf, Not if you can get skis of similar percentage proportions to your height.
ski holidays
little tiger wrote:
easiski wrote:
The odd ones out were the race department Head WC SL: that one needed some serious work - I had to ski properly and with modern technique - couldn't get away with much. Not quite as vicious as the VR27 though!.

are they the black/yellow stripey things?
If so I had them... they are nasty in sloppy snow.... I think I needed to ski them about 10cm shorter than I got them in.... Everyone else I know said the same - they felt they needed them short...

VR27??
latest report
These, second from left.

ski holidays
little tiger, If they're the ones in the pic then of course they should be short! They're the most serious race slalom ski on sale to the general public I've tried in a long time - boy are they stiff!!! I should immagine they would be a nightmare on anything other than hard piste. I tried the 155 (right length of course for ladies race).
latest report
no - I had some dynamic the first year they really "cam back" in Oz... they were black and yellow stripes.... and had a number (which I forget)

The guys tell me the number was the same number as one of their famous skis....

Those skis were stiff.... and wide tip/narrow waist... and they made me ski a 167 (I'm <160cm) I skied with a friend who taught in Switzerland for many years (instructor trainer also for many years) he thought that ski was like a GS ski for me in that length! It was very nasty to ski in sloppy snow - you had to keep it edged to prevent unneccessary sidetracks... but once it was edged ... it took off on me....
snow report
ooops...

just googled it...

Quote:
VR27 REBORN
few skis become so well known that they are
still remembered years after their manufac-
ture was discontinued. Dynamic’s black rac-
ing ski model, the VR27, is one of these rare
products.
The VR27 was a highly advanced ski in the
1960s and 1970s. It was the first ski to employ
the so-called torsion box structure, which
made the VR27 torsionally stiff but also flex-
ible. The VR27 was also fast. The top models
of the French factory were used successfully
by legendary skiers such as Jean-Claude Kil-
ly and Rosi Mittermaier.
Last winter Dynamic decided to resurrect
the VR27. They launched the new VR27
Slalom, which retained the old black and yel-
low markings but incorporated the very latest
technologies.
The new VR27 was an immediate success
in ski tests. The German Ski Magazin gave the
VR27 a five-star rating. This winter the VR27
Slalom has been joined by its giant slalom sib-
ling, the VR27 Géant. Both models feature Hy-
per Carbon Air Channels and Texalium strips,
which give added torsional stability without
making the skis too stiff longitudinally.
The VR27 Slalom comes in lengths of 150,
160 and 170 centimetres. The arc radius in
11.4 metres (160 centimetres). The VR27
Géant comes in lengths of 160, 170 and 180
centimetres and has an arc radius of 15.4
metres. (170 centimetres).
Dynamic’s other new models for this
winter are the ZR57 skicross ski, the VR11
all-round carver and the VRone general-pur-
pose ski.

The yellow and black
colouring of Dynamic’s
VR27 ski is traditional,
but its structure
incorporates the
very latest
technology. This
season the VR27
will be offered
in giant slalom
(left) and slalom
models.
NEW PRODUCTS

I guess that I had the older model.... fun to ski on... but a little long for me in a 167...
snow report
little tiger, They made several of the old model VR27s. The first was definitely the best but the hardest to ski on. They had cracked edges. I had a pair of 203s and have a very distinct memory of heading towards a large pylon in Tignes thinking "I'm sure I meant to turn back there" This would be around early 80's. Mine were old race department skis, repaired all over etc, but I loved them. I ripped the edge out of one of them my first season in LDA, and the bloke in the shop nearly died laughing when I asked if he could repair them. Not enough edge to re-sole and not enough sole to re-edge. I couldn't throw them away though - had to leave them in the shop like a put down pet. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The new VR27 is a worthy successor to the first and best IMO. A true race ski.
snow conditions
yes - that is them.... I remember the split edge part... the guys all seemed to love them too....

the black and yellow beasties were BRILLIANT for skiing fast on hardpack.... but I struggled off-piste on them I'm afraid... and I still feel just a tad shorter wouldnhave been better...

oopps - no my stocklis were 167cm.... the Vr27's were a 160cm - hence how they conned me into them "hey these are shorter".... i should have got the 150cm .... those boys can con me so easily...
snow report
Wasn't the Dynamic ski that Killy won his three gold medals on - in 1968 - the VR17?
latest report
don't ask me... Confused
I'm a newbie skier.... I could not even remember the number on my damn skis! Embarassed
snow report
Don't know about what was happening in 1968, but today the VR17 is a kids' race ski - comes in lengths from 80-150cm.

easiski, I can't remember now whether those VR27s at last year's Modial were standard retail versions or not - because they do do race dept versions of the both the SL and GS as well Shocked .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy