Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Villard de Lans

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone skied there recently? Just looking at it as a possibility for February next year (half term). Sounds small but friendly?
snow report
 brian
brian
AxsMan, I think davidof might be a good person to pm, that's his locality.

I hesitate to spam in like this but if it's small and friendly and francophonic and available for up to 4 for 17/2-24/2 you're after, check the link in my sig.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, Thanks for the reply. Accomodation would be sorted ( Residence Le Diamant) as its a timeshare swap-out that I'm looking at (which is what brought Villard de Lans to my attention). Feel free to 'spam' as much as you like, I don't have a problem with people offering me services as long as they are optional!
snow report
 brian
brian
AxsMan, thanks for the understanding Cool

If you have any French (or are prepared to "translate" the Babelfish translation) then skipass.com is a good place to get comments on the more obscure stations:

http://www.skipass.com/stations/villard-de-lans.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thought for a moment you might have meant Lanslevillard, which with Lanslebourg make up Val Cenis!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BUMP!

(snowball, you made that same mistake a couple of years later Smile )

This place has caught my attention, due to being incredibly close to Grenoble, which has a train station, do you see?

Seems surprisingly big for something the wrong side of Grenoble, and reputedly somewhat snowsure due to having a ton of snowmaking, but statements like this one from davidof worry me (although that was a long time ago, and a notoriously bad season).

So... this thread and that other one are pretty old. What's the craic nowadays? I might only be squeezing in a few cheeky weekends this year, if anything at all, and my research so far points to this (and Les 7 Laux probably) as being my best bet for a very short return journey to somewhere worthwhile. It pushes all my buttons - unspoilt French village, no tower blocks, 'enough' skiing, no Brits... But what do YOU THE ABLE SEAMEN OF THE GOOD SHIP SNOWHEADS think?

Speek yore branes pleez.

(Yes I know I can get to 2alpes and bits of AdH with only an extra hour on the road, but they lack the 'where? never heard of it!' charm of places like Villard.)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio

We spent an afternoon of arrival day there on an epic snow weekend at the start of the Feb half term in 1999. Skied so many places since that all I can remember is that we had a great time and that it was indeed an uncrowded, very French, Brit-free area. Seem to recall that what we saw of the town was nice too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This may be irrelevent but...

I went on French exchange there when I was about 16 (so maybe 7 years ago) during ski season (beginning of March) and there was no snow whatsoever until you went ridiculously high up. Hardly any pistes were open, and all the French people were REALLY weird. I've been to other parts of France, and generally have nothing against the French (my mother is French too!) but these were weird, almost inbred types. I would avoid. The town was pretty enough, but had nothing going on. Honestly, the name of the place sends shivers down my spine.... Crying or Very sad

Disclaimer: I was 16 when this took place, so it's possible my view was childish and unsophisticated. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
swisssnowbunny, are you sure you don't mean Lanslevillard?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soooo..... has anyone been recently then?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been twice in 2006 and 2007, It's small and during the week has quite a few schools having ski lessons but not so much as they get in your way. The snow isn't always great, in 2007 it was poor - but then it was everywhere that year IIRC.

There are/were snowmaking facilities on the main slopes, but the back ones not so much, and they can get sheltered from snowfall making them icy with no real depth. However when the snow is decent, it's actually pretty decent skiing and you can cover the whole mountain from left to right and back down again.

There isn't much tourism from brits as far as I could tell, in fact I don't think I saw/heard another brit when I was there. The locals are pretty friendly, but some basic French is appreciated rather than assume they all speak english Wink

The local supermarket was pretty cheap, but you need a car really, it's about a 5min drive from Le Diamant (which is where we stayed, in the apartment for ~8ppl). It's also about 5-10 mins to the cable car lift from the apartment, where you can park you car in the car park and walk to the lift.
The town is quaint, with a few nice shops - but not really anything going on in terms of Apres since it's a town not a resort really.

Anything else more specific you want to know?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scottland, good info thanks.

What are the lifts like? T-bars-a-mundo?

No Brits and having to speak the lingo is a big +ve for me. I can't stand the idea of going somewhere dominated by Brits like Meribel or Malaga.

Apres schmapres. Don't care. I make my own apres.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No T-Bars that I saw, but quite a few button lifts and a few chair lifts.

In 2007 they'd just upgraded the lift systems to the touchless passes like everywhere else, there's 2 main cafe's up on the mountain - when we were there it was €3.70 for a 'jug' of wine/rosé and about €5 for a small meal (eg spag bol), chips were aboutr €3. There's also 2 smaller places up on the mountain, the creperie was our favourite and the staff there were really nice and often gave us an extra bottle of wine with our meals etc.

Take a look on flickr for some pictures of the place
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Groovy, thanks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio wrote:
BUMP!
(snowball, you made that same mistake a couple of years later Smile )

If you look at the date - this thread was 3 years ago wink
And then you quote me further down rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
So, er what part of 'you made the same mistake a couple of years later' is wrong then? This thread was 06, the link was to one from 08. Smile

I don't think you can object to a hard and indisputable fact, sunshine!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oops, I read it as 2 years AGO rolling eyes
Must get my specs out.
latest report
paulio, no, definately Villard de Lans...I will never forget it as long as I live. Granted, my penpal was a psycho and we were forced into doing work experience, and I was placed in an estate agents...but even the skiing part was rubbish!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Villard de Lans is great for a couple of days - plenty of gulleys and trees, not a huge area but the lifts are all quick. It is not very high so check the snow first. The whole area is very beautiful and you can get there either from Grenoble or from Valence. There are some ugly buildings down where most of the lifts start, but the village itself is fine.
latest report
Villard was getting pounded the other day, this is a photo I took at les Cochettes shows:

grrrreat I hear you saying, only problem, the ski area there is closed, a victim of global warming!!!, and those lifts are up for sale to the highest bidder.

The seasons on the Vercors can be iffy but this year has been fine, as was last year.

The people at the Tourist Board are extremely pleasant (I promised to make a plug for them but they were so nice to us the other day).
snow conditions
davidof, so is the ski area closed permanently now then?
ski holidays
I think he must be referring to one particular area as I skied there Tuesday last week, in 15cm of new powder from a storm that seemed to come up from the south and stop over the Vercors. The sky was blue, the wind was brisk, the pistes were empty, and all was good in the world.
ski holidays
FranzKlammer wrote:
I think he must be referring to one particular area as I skied there Tuesday last week, in 15cm of new powder from a storm that seemed to come up from the south and stop over the Vercors. The sky was blue, the wind was brisk, the pistes were empty, and all was good in the world.

No just the bit closest to the town at les Cochettes, the rest, a fairly extensive and interesting area is open as you say.
ski holidays
I like the town of Villard de Lans, and certainly enjoyed the skiing there a few years ago - I've no idea of conditions now, but the cross country area was huge and really nice.

One of the best bits is upstairs in the museum in the centre of town is (was?) an exhibition of yokes - the sort for carrying milk pails, or for getting cattle hitched to farm machinery, I'm not sure, but I doubt I'll ever see such a large collection again!

On a more serious note - in the XC area, you can ski to a village destroyed by the Germans when they finally invaded the massif, after D-day, and there are other sites worth visiting (eg Vassieux, most village squares) to get a feel for the wartime experience of the place.
snow report
Ah good as I was planning on a return trip there at some point Smile
latest report
Hey thanks for all the info guys, although some of it was perhaps a tad late Madeye-Smiley Laughing
snow conditions
Planning on going to Villard de Lans first week in January 2011, will all the slops be open by then?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy