Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you fly direct to Sion on scheduled flights

Poster: A snowHead
HAve seen one tour operator say there are scheduled winter flights to sion from london heathrow. Who operates them Puzzled Any ideas of price for taxi transfers from Sion to Veysonnaz or Nendaz. thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dan100, I think it's "Swiss". I took that flight once (18 months ago), and ended up with a 7 hour delay as the winds were too high/wrong direction for the plane to get in/out and had to go via GVA. I was "reliably" informed that that was the only affected flight that season though - and the locals in Grimentz thought it had been a glorious day Puzzled . Shame, as it would have worked out fine if it had actually flown.

Taxi for one from Sion to Grimentz at 11pm was about £80 Shocked Sad . There should be a bus service that connects with this flight though, try www.sbb.ch (which shows buses about every 30 mins until 8pm for today). Probably about CHF10-20
ski holidays
 brian
brian
dan100, you can book flight only on the charters here:

http://www.ski-flights.com/sionflights.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dan100, it's very easy to get to Sion by train from Geneva airport (ie direct trains from the airport) if all else fails
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100, there probably aren't any direct, scheduled flights as otp.co.uk who started off in Nendaz (but have now expanded) don't offer it as an option although they used to.

IIRC, the drive up to Nendaz is only a bit more than 20 mins so the fare shouldn't be too harsh.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100, Swiss used to fly scheduled to Sion, but back when it was still Crossair! Otherwise you can only fly direct by charter. This is a pity, since Sion is a great little airport (I hope that is not too oxymoronic!), ideally placed for all the Valais ski resorts. Bus services are good from Sion airport to Verbier, Nendaz, Zermatt and Grimentz at least. You can see the airport from Nendaz, so I agree, a taxi should not be extortionate.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is a great little airport, the main pronlem is it doesn't have the magic box of tricks that allows landing in poor vis. Apparenly they've got to be able to see the ground from 1500m or above or they have to divert. I've flown there 5 times and landed there twice. I may have been unlucky, but it is very frustrating to have to go to GVA and back up the Valais again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the help. Very Happy I will check with Swiss. The charter flights are fully booked the week we would be interested in. Geneva would be ok, I just fancied cutting fown the transfer time still further and not have the hassle of lugging ski gear around too many times
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone have a rough idea of trainfares for adult and children, please snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
dan100, the swiss transfer ticket is about £57 and covers a return journey (using trains and post buses) from any of the swiss airports to any resort. Kids travelling with adults are free.

The outward and return journeys must be made within a month of one another and take no more than a day each.

https://www.swisstravelsystem.com/order.php?item=stt

journey planner:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
think i remember from another thread that pre booked rail transfers anywhere in Switzelrand are £57 return for adults
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, snap! but you managed the links as well.......
snow conditions
 brian
brian
dan100, also if you're using the train from GVA you ought to be able to check your luggage through to Sion railway station without needing to pick it up at the airport. Maybe check with the airline ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dan100, if it is shortish transfer, then check the price out. It may well be cheaper than getting the £57 ticket
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian wrote:
dan100, also if you're using the train from GVA you ought to be able to check your luggage through to Sion railway station without needing to pick it up at the airport. Maybe check with the airline ?

wow Very Happy
latest report
dan100 wrote:
HAve seen one tour operator say there are scheduled winter flights to sion from london heathrow. Who operates them Puzzled Any ideas of price for taxi transfers from Sion to Veysonnaz or Nendaz. thanks

You know, if I wanted to find out what flights there are into Sion I would look at the Sion airport web page. This would tell me that Flybe and Alpwings fly from Gatwick and City at weekends during the ski season.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
davidof, interesting. That alpwings flight has only appeared in the last few days. They seem to be a business oriented outfit, 999 CHF return to London City (£450), not exactly competing with the budgets !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy