Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Indoor ski jump

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I am currently studying for my mechanical engineering degree at the University of Surrey and as part of my final year I have to carry out a major multi discipline group project. My groups project is to design an indoor ski jump in England. Laughing

As part of this project I am looking into a cooling system for the 'skidome'. I have two questions which I would like to ask the worldly knowledge of the snowheads Shocked . What are perfect ski conditions i.e. I know, as an avid skier myself, you don't want ice on the surface which you are skiing but how much snow is desirable for a good skiing surface? and what temperature is best for skiing at, when the snow is at it's best? I understand that both these questions are very much opinion based but hopefully someone will have a general idea, since i have no idea.

Also if anyone is an experienced ski jumper (has tried it) could they please give me an insight into what you would expect from a good ski jump, as in facilities and general condition of the snow jump etc. (there seems to be a lack of ski jumpers in the uk and we can't get in contact with eddie the eagle).

Thank you

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-09-06 11:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome. Are you talking about a nordic ski jump, or freestyle ski jump?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It will be a nordic ski jump.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First requirement would be a large shed brimming with quids. A ski jump is actually quite a large contraption and to make one indoors you would probably need the combined GNP of most of western europe. Once you get this sorted snowmaking will be a simple entity wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To achieve a sight-line from the top of the tower to the landing you'll need an enormous building. I'm no ski jumper, but you could get some useful technical guidance from the International Ski Federation: www.fis-ski.com

The slope surface is essentially artificial - whether it's snow-based (which would be artificially solidified) or ceramic-based (the jumps used for summer practice are based on a ceramic tile type surface, as far as I know). Usually the maximum speed is achieved with snow that's not too cold. It might be best to have under-slope cooling and an air temp (during practice/competition) which is just over zero. But I'm only thinking of speed skiing, which achieves maximum speeds in spring.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most indoor snowslopes in the world now use Acer Snowmec technology. See http://www.acersnowmec.com/
The Acer Snowmec system of indoor snow making used extensively all over the World uses special snowmakers which make snow up to minus 3 degrees C.
The Acer Snowmec system was used at:

Telford World of Snow UK
Snow World Batam (Near Singapore)
White Shark Snopwland Taiwan
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Penang Malaysia
Milton Keynes UK
Madrid Spain
Castleford UK
Dubai (recently opened)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 27-09-06 13:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Come and visit Gloucester, Eddie the Eagle should be somewhere about! Having watched someone propel themselves off the end of the main run at the dry-slope and land in the car park I can see where he got his practice! Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For a small jump you could take off from dryslope matting and land on a big airbag or in water (as freestyle jumpers often do to practice).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doesn't sheffield have something that allows you to jump and land in water??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
doesn't sheffield have something that allows you to jump and land in water??

A swimming pool with diving board? wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my idea of an indoor real snow slope built onto an existing natural hill would be a good start. This would eliminate the need for a huge building. all you would need to do is form the jump along the hill and cover. You could make the cover quite small for the inrun and then have it open out for the landing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I must add that this is only a Univeristy project and is only theory. But thanks for all the good ideas and keep them coming. We will be going to the ski show in london in october to speak to some people about this proejct and hopefully get some more info about how to go about this project.

We are looking into a number of options that include a number of indoor ski jumps plus a normal slope (to generate the income). However, it is a huge project but at the moment money isn't a problem (says the student) snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crockadr,

I saw DG posted a link to the FIS website, but I thought it might be helpful to point you at the actual technical document: http://www.fis-ski.com/data/document/icr-jp04.pdf
Page 36 onwards has the stuff you need for the dimensions etc. of the jump.

These specs are for jumps used for major competitions. People start jumping on much smaller jumps!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From a business point of view it would probably be good to have three or four jumps to enable begniners to start and then progress, bit like swimming pool diving boards, other wise you could only rent the slope to experts which would prbably limit your income (in the UK anyway). I appreciate this probably makes the project more complicated not less...sorry Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If memory serves, isn't Eddie "the Eagle" Edwards an instructor at Tamworth? I ask because it might be an idea blag some time with him.

Anyone know if he's still / was ever there?
snow report

Tamworth 2002, with Big Lew
latest report
snow report
At the moment we are planning to build it in a quarry, this should make sure that the structure is not too high above the ground and has the hill to help us build the slope. We are planning to have five ski jumps (K120, K90, K60, K30, K15) on which to learn, but we think that only the two large ones would be indoor. the whole complex will also have an indoor ski jump similar to the one being built near ipswich.

Thanks for the links, i am going to try and get in contact with Eddie. And I am already in contact the the FIS. I do like the idea of a swimming pool to jump in, it would be a fun idea and I ahve seen the freestyle jumping going into pools as well.
ski holidays
Hello again,

Further to my earlier posts, I have another question from one of my colleagues in the group.
Could you please fill out this questionnaire about the 'ski jump centre'. This will provide us with helpful information (like how big an arena we need to design and also how popular it would be). I apologise for the poor english in it.

I am asking SNOWHEADS because of the mix of ages on this board which will hopefully give us a fair idea for the whole of the UK (so no pressure).

Thanks

http://www.misterpoll.com/2526502869.html
snow report
The idea of landing small jumps on a huge air-bag was being used a few months ago at Milton Keynes Xscape snowdome. Ask them about it
ski holidays
It would be interesting to know how many skiers in Alpine countries take up ski-jumping...
ski holidays
crockadr,

Do you really need snow? Sure I've seen them jumping onto an artificial surface on the TV.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy