Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Axsman,

Winter tyres often have smaller dimensions to summer tyres.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, But do buy them, Winter tyres make a huge difference! You never know when you'll get stuck in a blizzard, for us it was in January, we crawled around Lyon for 4 hours Toofy Grin With winter tyres driving over here is safer on wet or slippery roads. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont & boredsurfin,

Winter tyres wear out much more quickly in the summer and unsurprisingly don't perform as well as normal summer tyres in warmer/dryer conditions.

The Duellers get good reports but the winter tyre most liked from Bridgestone are the Blizzaks, perhaps it was suggested that you should change to these when your Duellers need replacing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:

Winter tyres often have smaller dimensions to summer tyres.

I assume you mean recommeneded tyres snowHead tyres of the same dimension ....errrrgghhhh....tend to have the same dimension? wink ..or maybe not Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok done a bit of research, I like the sound of the 'All weather' tyres that are M+S rated. (don't really want the faff of changing them each autum/spring, and then maybe being caught out with the 'wrong' set on. looking around, the Goodyear Wrangler HP's seem to score well on grip in dry, wet and snow conditions, and are available from mytyres for only £69.20 delivered. Anyone had any experience of these ?

The Pirellis mentioned earlier are also available (at £2 less) but don't score so well for grip or wear.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Update: mytyres have just put their prices up (for the Goodyears) and on this site

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

The Pirelli Scorpions come out well ahead. Tried phoning mytyres but they don't appear to be answering their phone Puzzled so popped into my local ETC who offered me the Pirellis for £75 fitted and balanced. Having them done tomorrow. (The car just had its 24000 service today and needs new tyres all round anyway). Hopefully the scorpions will still have some tread left by December! Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey guys i have Bridgestone Dueller h/t 840's on my mitsubishi animal. anyone know what these are like driving in the snow. am driving out to tignes for the season this year so any help would be good

cheers
ben
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
benpudney, ours were fine last winter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here is a diagram showing the braking distance of a 4x4 from 80 km/h (50 mph) on a snow covered road.

a) Winter Tyres = 67m
b) Summer Tyres = 108m (49km/h after 67m)
c) All season tyres = 82m (35km/h after 67m)

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/download/document/viermalvierreifen.pdf

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 3-10-06 8:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What are the implications of fitting winter tyres to a car which are slightly smaller than its normal size? My new car is shod with 235/45 R18, but I have a lightly used set of 225/45 R17 (Toyo SnowProX) from my previous car. If I got a set of steel rims to fit the winter tyres would it be possible to use them on my new car? How would performance be affected? Would the speedo read the correct speed if there is a different tyre circumference from what it is expecting? And does anybody know how to disable the tyre pressure sensor system in a Peugeot 407?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk,

The first number of the tyre designation is the width in mm, the second is the aspect ratio between the width and the height of the rubber while the last is the rim diameter in inches. Yep they still use both Imperial and metric in the tyre industry.

As 1"=25.4mm and so the diameter of your two tyres are 235/25.4*0.45*2+18 =26.327" and 225/25.4*0.45*2+17 =24.972" respectively. The ratio of the circumference, which is equal to diameter * 3.14159, is therefore 1: 0.949 (or 1.054:1). Therefore driving your new car with the second set of tyres will mean the speedo, normally based on the revolutions of the axle, is out by 5.4% slower. If you are caught doing 105.4mph the policeman can only prosecute you for doing 100mph as he must have his speedo regularly calibrated.

I would just use the old set of tyres and not getting excited about the car capable of doing a top speed higher than the manufacturer's figure.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee, thanks for that, I guessed it would be something like that, but I'm glad you did the math for me Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk, This site does it all for you. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, I'm not a tyre fitter but surely you've missed the most important point in rob@rar.org.uk's question, and thats the fact the the rim sizes are different - R17 v R18 eg 17 & 18 inch diameter wheels. He would need to get a set of 17in rims, now we can talk speedo errors & PCD's & patten of wheel mounting holes.

Sorry.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scud wrote:
saikee, I'm not a tyre fitter but surely you've missed the most important point in rob@rar.org.uk's question, and thats the fact the the rim sizes are different - R17 v R18 eg 17 & 18 inch diameter wheels. He would need to get a set of 17in rims, now we can talk speedo errors & PCD's & patten of wheel mounting holes.

Sorry.

The plan would be to get a new set of rims. What are PCD's and are there different wheel mounting holes?
latest report
Don't forget the ET offset (from German Einpresstiefe)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing#Offset
snow report
I run a 3.2 Shogun diesel and the dealer offers 16", 17" and 18" alloys, all with different widths and aspect ratios but the overall diameter remains unchanged. Thus I believe you should be able to get a set of rims to fit the snow tyres slightly smaller than the stock size.

I have 2 sets of "all-season" tyres on 16" alloys off my last Shogun waiting to fit the new one, shod with 18" alloys, when I go skiing. I would be surprised if they don't fit. In my case the lower model has my 16" alloy and the Warrior I drive uses the largest 18" alloy.

You do need to find a set of rims carefully to fit the new Peugeot 407 but if you say it is for such a vehicle the supplier would ensure it fits. The rims also has a width but I would have thought within one size difference the tyre should go in. I would give the tyres to the rim supplier to fit and only buy if everything fits. Let him worry the no. of holes and pitch circle diameter.

Regarding the offset I would only worry if the non-stock tyres are bigger so that they may rub against the wheel arches.

I could be wrong but the 4-hole to 6-hole alloys must have been standarised enough to support the alloy making industry. People who purchase a new set of steel or alloy rims are expect to reveal the make of the car.
latest report
Here's the latest tyre tests from the ÖAMTC (Austrian AA equivalent)

There's a new test for the 205/55 R16 H tyre size (which just so happens to be the size of winter tyres I require)

http://www.oeamtc.at/tests/reifen/

Bottom line is that the Semperit Speed grip looks to be a fantastic snow/ice/wet (Schnee/Eis/Nass) tyre knocking the Goodyear Ultragrip Performance clearly off the top spot. The goodyear is still a good tyre though and handles better than the Semperit in the dry (Trocken)

Bremsen = Braking
Geräusch = Noise

If anybody needs to translate more german terms http://dict.leo.org/
snow conditions
If you go to Google's language tools at http://www.google.co.uk/language_tools?hl=en you can get DB's page and all linked pages translated into English.

Enter the web address in the translate section of the page - and don't forget to set the language options properly!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy