Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Fix - MK - worth my while?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear snowHead s,

I must unashamedly admit that I am in desperate need of a snow fix. I was in the mountains (walking) a week or two ago and the scent of autumn in the air has, rather than controlling my addiction, whet my appetite for some sliding.

Mrs Zammo is away on the 21st October. If I go to MK Xscape for a couple of hours first thing on the Saturday, will I alleviate my need for a fix, or will I just be irritated by poor snow quality, slow lifts, irritating service and loads of chavs (apologies in advance to any chav snowHead s)?

N.b. I've never been to MK and it's a good drive from London so your advice is worth its weight in metres of fluffy powder.

Many thanks,

Zammo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zammo, Remember two things.. 1) It's not the mountains....it's a big cold shed in Milton Keynes. and 2) 'Happiness is an illusion - don't let reality intrude on it too much'

I've been there a couple of times....it's much nicer than plastic, but, because you go faster, it seems much shorter.

Hope that helps....but
Quote:

fluffy powder

surely doesn't weigh that much ..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zammo, its worth going for a fix - and it's not that far a drive from London wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski, metres of fluffy powder must surely weigh something? I was thinking quantity, I guess. cf snowHead discussions on avalanche danger passim
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, how long a drive? I was guessing at 1.5 hours from SW6 ...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo,

I flew in from Belfast for the day last year. I found it good craic for an hour. But I was skiing with WTFH and Michelle wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, From Tunbridge Wells it takes me 90 minutes...and I've just booked a tele lesson for the week after.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy, watch it...

zammo, MK is worth it, but you'd be better off in the Netherlands or La Rosiere... (not necessarily for skiing, it's just a life tip)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, I understand that the world has no better location to offer than La Rosiere. It apparently offers fantastic snow, well-priced accommodation, an excellent lift system, some of the best waves available, unbelievable safaris with all of the Big 5 viewable and some of the best scuba diving as yet uncovered. The place is also, I understand, the location of a mircle spa and is close to resolving global conflict on behalf of the UN.

MK, on the other hand ......
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zammo wrote:
cathy, how long a drive? I was guessing at 1.5 hours from SW6 ...

Is that Fulham? I'd guess to allow that. From Crystal Palace it takes an hour to get through London to the start of the M1 & then about half an hour on the motorway up to MK.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't know if it's quicker for you to get out to the M25 then M1 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, Fulham it is. Yoda am I not. No quick way to get to either m-was, frankly, but if I go early I should be OK.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 27-09-06 15:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MK is worth it, but you probably won't feel any better after!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zammo, MK has roundabouts.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can be worthwhile if you get there early enough before the slopes been too scraped & half of it is shut for kids tobagganning (£10 per kid x50 for half an hour - better economics than the skiing). But the sugary berms that build up later can be fun as no-one skis them.
snow report
Right - I'm in. I'm going to book two hours at 09:00 on Saturday 21st October. How bad is their kit? Obviously I'm not going to take my precious skis out onto their articificial stuff so it would be nice to be prepared ....
snow report
zammo, I'd take your own skis. I've not used the MK kit (ever), you probably won't have much wax left at the end, but other than that they'll be fine snowHead

Remember it IS cold in there tho.... wink
snow conditions
ski, really? My own precious planks? Are you certain? I guess they will need a wax and edge before the season proper anyway .... guess I'll take my pistes skis, not my powder pair!
snow report
zammo, Don't thimk you'll need your powder skis...... Crying or Very sad From what I've seen of the hire stuff (i.e. looked over at the rack whilst putting my boots on) it seems to be beginner oriented stuff - so probably quite soft, and probably not very sharp Shocked . You'll have more fun on your own skis. Toofy Grin

They will need a wax afterwards, but skis are there to be used, not looked at snowHead
ski holidays
Skis are Salomon Verse, Rossi Cut classic soft rental stock. The few pairs mounted up with tele bindings ski ok though.
snow conditions
We went for the Burton demo at MK couple of weekends ago - had a lot of fun trying the new range and eating and drinking the free nibbles and beer. It was a good giggle. Some guys only paid for an hour but stayed for as long as they wanted cos no-one checked their times... Cool not that I'm suggeesting you do that of course... Shocked
snow conditions
Come to Castleford, I'll even sign your lift pass for you Wink

But yeah, take your own stuff and it won't be so bad, should just about satisfy you Smile
latest report
Jono, I'm thinking that Yorkshire is a bit far to travel for 2 hours on an artificaial hill, but thanks all the same!

Booking now - will take my own skis and get them waxed afterwards.
snow conditions
I've heard that week-ends get too busy and the queues for the two button lifts get tiresome. Whereas we only ever go for our pre-season fix on mid-week mornings/afternoons and never had to queue. Off there on Tuesday next!

I've also been told that there is some free parking near a garden centre about 3 mins walk away from the front entrance to Xscape. If anyone does know where this is can you let us have directions?

While you're at Milton Keynes snodome, why not try out Indoor Skydiving at the Airkix Wind tunnel. see http://www.airkix.com Great fun!!!
snow conditions
Definitely worth it for a fix. You will be bored after an hour, but it really is worth the drive from London if you are in need of some snow. Just going through the double doors and feeling the cold air hit your face is worth it. It is a dry cold like you only get on a cold day in the mountains, so that at least is worth it. Frankly though the skiing is a bit disappointing. Because it is kept so consistently dry the snow is very very dry and therefore quite sticky - I wouldn't recommend trying snowblades if you have them. Having been a few times with skis I thought it might keep the interest going to try snowblades, which was a mistake. If you are into boarding, there is more variety, but like you said, there are lots of chavs railsliding etc.

Not long to go till the white stuff arrives in the alps though!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy