Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bullet Camera

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a mini-DV camcorder with DV in and for some time have been thinking of getting a bullet type camera to attach to my (ski) helmet

Anybody experimented with this type of setup recently ? How easy to get camera mounted securely/safely? Any particular type/make of camera recommended ?

Anyone have one for sale ? thx.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was a really good discussion on this a while back - I'm not sure when (>year?).

That said, the tech in this field has obviously moved on a bit and I find this quite interesting myself so please don't think I'm trying to stifle the discussion here. But a search of the forum might be worth the effort while you're waiting for someone to come along who actually knows something Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I've just bought one. Not used it in anger yet, just played with it around the house and garden. Surprisingly good picture, and a bit smaller than I was expecting. Mine came with a range of mounting options, including velcro, cable ties, etc. Looking forward to using it a bit this winter.

I bought mine from Action Cameras. Good service and prompt delivery. I bought the ACam 520 which offers the highest reolution of the cameras they sell - not as good as my camcorder itself, but certainly good enough.

One important point - the cameras connect to the AV in port, not the DV in port. Make sure that you check your camcorder is compatible before you buy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith, we will have some headcams featured in the first issue of Dark Summer this year, and we will also have a competition to win some. The new issue will be out at the beginning of October.

The guys over at Action Cameras are a good place to start.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, yes I meant AV in. Camcorder is OK for this, I use the AV in port to write back to tape after PC editing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A friend has one.

Details here and footage here (WMV format).

I especially commend his previous rig - which has to be seem to be believed!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, footage looks good, great quality. How does your buddy manage to keep the subject in the shot without access to a viewfinder, is it simply a matter of keeping your head still and pointing generally in the right direction ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith - I think it's because he's mounted it at eye level on the helmet - it's then just a matter of looking at the subject and not getting too close.

The friend's name is Len Holgate and he's a snowHead - so drop him an email if you want more details. He's doing the last day of his BASI 3 in Argentina today - so may not be very easy to get hold of until the celebrations / commiserations finish - which could be a few days!

Alternatively, you can contact him via his skiing blog.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith wrote:
PhillipStanton, footage looks good, great quality. How does your buddy manage to keep the subject in the shot without access to a viewfinder, is it simply a matter of keeping your head still and pointing generally in the right direction ?

The lens on the bullet cam has a very wide angle view, so even if you're quite close to the subject you're filming it's still possible to get them all in view (as well as not missing them by pointing your head in the wrong direction). The camera I bought came with a little fabric sleeve which looks like it might be ideal to sew onto the strap of a spare pair of goggles. I think this might be a better solution that trying to fit it to my helmet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got a headband for mine, bought it as part of a kit from these guys a few years ago but I do find all the wires, battery pack, camera & remote control a bit of a faff to use so tend not to these days Sad I ought to sort it all out and get into the habit of using it more.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy