Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne skier numbers fall and only 15% are English

Poster: A snowHead
According to SAP (The La Plagne lift company)

In 2005/2006, SAP sold a little more than 2,5 millions day ski passes, less 70 000 than last year. 62% of visitors were French, 15% of them were English

Full story from Romain Guigon at http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/News.htm
snow conditions
 brian
brian
So much for the Vanoise express boosting the numbers Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought half term week was quieter than previous years Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did more people buy the week (or other multiday) Paradiski pass instead?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any idea how the 15% compares to other resorts? It seems very high to me but where we are the total number of British visitors over a season is probably less than 400!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skanky, I think maybe the phrase was 'skier days' rather day ski passes, a little difference in the translation perhaps Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, makes sense looking at the numbers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, Great pictures on that link - just imagine that's my chair and my home run! Exciting or what!....yes i promise to get out more...

Couldn't find any link to the SAP reduced sales story.......is there a link somewhere to the full story?

From the headline it seems specific to 'Day' ski passes - I wonder if that's La Plagne only day passes, or Paradiski day ski passes. There may very well have been a corresponding increase in 3-day, weekly, or forthnightly passes. I wonder how they assess & record nationality.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ben wright, I thought the 15% quite low considering the amount of signposting, leaflets and other items that are translated into English for us Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How do they define "English"?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'Rosbifs' - people who eat roast beef
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, This was obviously going to happen if you think about it. They've all gone to La Rosiere
Wear The Fox Hat, Anywhere that has Dublin or Belfast as a capital

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 26-09-06 15:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good as reason as any to go to La Plagne! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, Do look at your new lift pictures carefully, the 'upstream' end doesn't have chairs and cable yet, those in the picture are the top of the Golf lift up from 1800. Your new lift is behind Golf.
Romain also mentions snowmaking down in La Roche, Toofy Grin a welcome bonus.
Nice touch of naming the new run after a long serving member of staff Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LARGEZOOKEEPER, ...or Madrid.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

boredsurfin, This was obviously going to happen if you think about it. They've all gone to La Rosiere

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would like to see the numbers from other ski areas as I am sure this is probably not just an isolated case. I'm sure Alpe D'Huez was quieter than normal last season as well.... Puzzled
ski holidays
Numbers up in La Ros Laughing
snow report
Yep, It's "skier days", and not "day skipasses", that's an error of translation Wink

RG, Webmaster of www.PERSo-LAPLAGNE.fr Smile
latest report
RG, That all makes sense now, but do the figures relate to La Plagne passes only, or Paradiski passes?
snow conditions
There is no great mystery to the la Plagne figures. The resort was open for 7 fewer days in 2006.
snow conditions
BernardC, yep, it's only for La Plagne (SAP for Société d'Aménagement de La Plagne)
latest report
davidof wrote:
There is no great mystery to the la Plagne figures. The resort was open for 7 fewer days in 2006.

7 days makes 70000 skier days difference, 10 k per day Shocked
snow report
I was there at the end of Jan and the conditions were not good for a few weeks before we got there and a week or two after.
It did pick up well in Feb I am lead to believe.
So I would say the numbers reflect the poor conditions for those weeks.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
davidof wrote:

7 days makes 70000 skier days difference, 10 k per day Shocked

I think you need to go back to skool! Laughing

2,508,948 skier days in 2005/2006 for a 141 day season, that is 17,794 skier days per day. A half day lift pass counts as half a skier/day.
2,673,349[1] skier days in 2004/2006 for a 148 day season, that is 18,063 skier days per day.

[1]This gives a drop in skier days of 170k -6% but it is possible someone has mistyped this figure as it looks a lot like the 2003/4 figure. I will try to check it.

So the resort suffered a drop of just under 1% in the number of visitors per day (given my figure), probably due to the climatic conditions during the winter. This corresponds closely to a 0.82% drop in their turnover.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 26-09-06 20:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
davidof, Posting before putting brain in gear Embarassed

The biggest surprise I thought was that only 15% were English, how does this compare to other French resorts of relative size (La Ros excepted of course!)
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Possible I must to go to shool, but English = 41% of 38% of foreigners...So English = 15% of visitors...ok ?
snow conditions
RG, Romain yes! but I thought more English people were in LP. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
davidof, Posting before putting brain in gear Embarassed

The biggest surprise I thought was that only 15% were English, how does this compare to other French resorts of relative size (La Ros excepted of course!)

Hmmm.... I would have thought somewhere like Meribel would be higher. I had the figures for l'alpe d'huez and it was something like 30% (tbc) but the resort is virtually run by the tour operators. The overall figure for france is 30% foreign visitors, 70% french with the french figure dropping off as people move from winter ski holidays to winter "sun" type holidays.

In some of my local resorts the figure is too small to measure.

La Plagne is still no.1 for France and probably in the world.
snow conditions
RG, How are the figures categorised, if a skier in La Plagne, buys a Paradiski pass. Does this count in the annual figures quoted? - or does a skier have to buy a La Plagne pass and then a supplementary Paradiski pass?

How does the company categorise the nationality of skiers? Are they asked this question at point of purchase?

PERso Laplagne - great site. I shall follow it with avid interest. I spent last season in Bourg St. Maurice, but will be below La Plagne for this season. Hopefully we can meet up for a ski sometime. snowHead
snow conditions
I suppose that a skier who buy a Paradiski ski pass in La Plagne lives there, so he will be count for La Plagne...
I believe that SAP asks to visitors their country...

Thanks for your compliments. I created this website...4 years ago Wink
snow conditions
RG,
Quote:

Thanks for your compliments. I created this website...4 years ago

Romain, the site gets better every year, thank you. Toofy Grin
snow report
I was there for a day during that period. I did not have the Paradiski pass because I have been to LP before but not Les Arcs.

Very nice lunch in Skanapia restaurant (or something like that) in Montalbert.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Romain, the site gets better every year, thank you. Toofy Grin

Smile
snow report
Latchigo,
Quote:

Very nice lunch in Skanapia restaurant (or something like that) in Montalbert

It's nice but Trappeures bar and restaurant is even nicer Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Is that statistically significant?
snow conditions
If the English are 15% of visitors are there any Scots and Welsh and what's the figure if they're added in?
snow report
roga, I suppose that "English" are all the unhabitants of UK. French people don't do the difference between Scotland, England, UK...
snow report
RG, yes my comment was a little disingenuous in that I suspected that was the case.

Mind you, they always have an extra big smile for me in in France when I'm asked if I'm English and I retort with a "non, écossais" - they seem to understand that well enough Wink
snow conditions
Just a difference between both : we have never made war on Scotland ! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy