Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI3 Instructors may now work 4 weeks in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Following changes in legislation, BASI (British Association of Snowsport Instructors) Grade 3 instructors may now teach in Italy for up to four weeks each season. Subject to passing a series of three basic tests covering language, technical skills, mountain safety and first aid, holders of the British qualification can work in the Aosta Valley...which means British qualified instructors in resorts such as Courmayeur and La Thuile (linked to the French resort of La Rosiere).

More
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is hardly news! I thought Grade 3s had been working for Interski for years (but only for 2 weeks). In fact, many part time grade 3s I know were finding it harder and harder to work for Intersport as they had sdo many Grade 2s and 1s applying. The article calls the Grade 3 "Holders of the benchmark British qualification " which is quite insulting to those of us who've bothered to go right through the whole system!

Please also all note, that Grade 1s (ISTD) have automatic equivalence in Italy anyway. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, I think a benchmark is just a fixed point of reference, not necessarily the end-point or the best. E.g. you often see A-levels described as an academic benchmark, but that wouldn't be to devalue degrees.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The new regulations appear to make it harder for BASI 3 instructors to get work in the Aosta, rather than easier.

And judging from Interski's site, applicants have to make a £200 payment and a special trip to achieve accreditation.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is very much new and ongoing news particularly over the last three months.

It is nothing to do with what grade you have, what country you got your qualification from or even what nationality you are. If you do not live in the Aosta Valley and work for the Aosta Valley Ski Schools, then at present, you can only work 7 days per season. If you do the tests and pass, then you may work 28 days per season.

This was changed from the original agreement way back where instructors were able to work 15 days per season.

This is all to do with a feud starting from one or two ski school directors in the valley.

The boundaries keep shifting on this one and will probably again. Certainly the last 12 months has seen a very dramatic change.

So basically at the moment, an instructor has to submit a dossier, and if you are very lucky, you might gain an exemption from the tests. 3 people by the summer had so far based on their qualifications and experience. Some people who have regularly worked the last three seasons were also able to do a special classroom test where 17 people so far now hold their 28 days.

The rest have to go through the tests. So having a grade 1 is no guarantee of gaining your four weeks as the dossier is based on qualifications and experience plus it is an Aosta Valley Ski School issue.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In terms of the heading of this thread ...
Quote:
BASI3 Instructors may now work in Italy

it's worth pointing out that hundreds of BASI 3 instructors have worked in Italy for decades. The Interski ski school, concentrated on Courmayeur and Pila, has always been the major employer, since it hosts groups that Interski bring over from the UK, mainly by coach.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aren't there limits to how much teaching grade IIIs can do with Interski? I thought it was no more than a couple of weeks?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, Grade IIIs have been working for Interski for years. There are limits on how many weeks can be worked...but now the locals had added another hoop for those wish to work to jump through. The hoop applies to all grades not just 3s.

IIRC grade 3 used to be entilted 'Assistant Ski Instructor'...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk
IIRC grade 3 used to be entilted 'Assistant Ski Instructor'...

And grade 3 (and 2 and 1) hasn't been recognised BASI terminology for at least eight years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW, but is still in common parlance, rather than the slightly more clumsy 'Ski Instructor', 'Ski Teacher' and 'International Ski Teacher' ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
RobW, but is still in common parlance, rather than the slightly more clumsy 'Ski Instructor', 'Ski Teacher' and 'International Ski Teacher' ?

I agree it's common parlance, but I've never seen it defined anywhere.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I last renewed my BASI licence in 1999. Interestingly the licence is stamped 'Alpine Instructor'. A preceding 1995 licence is stamped 'Ski Instructor'.

When the licence was originally issued in 1975 it only referred to "Grade III member".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
BASI3 Instructors may now work 4 weeks in Italy

It's highly likely that this is true for the Val d'Aosta only, and not Italy generally. Interestingly, despite being a member of the European Union, Italy seems to be able to maintain regional legislation. Another ski region - the Sud Tirol (Dolomites) - has laws about ski area operation which are specific to that area.

As with France, the ability or legitimacy of member regions/countries to dictate restrictive employment laws is open to challenge. As we know, the French have had to loosen up their restrictions on foreign instructors working there.

When I worked as an instructor in Aviemore in 1974-6 we had instructors working full-time for about 8 different ski schools. They came from all regions of the UK, Switzerland, Austria, France, the USA, Canada, Australasia, Norway etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
................. As we know, the French have had to loosen up their restrictions on foreign instructors working there.............

easiski, could you tell us what the derestriction is in France? I thought an instructor with "Equivalence" was OK, and that lower grade BASI instructors could work for a very limited period of time under a mentor - but then had to gain "equivalence" (within a set time frame) or stop instructing. I'm totally open to correction, of course.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, The situtation is as follows. Fully qualified BASIs (grade 1, International Ski Teacher Diploma) can legally work in France.

A key step in obtaining the ISTD is to pass the European Speed Test - basically a timed Giant Slalom. The pass standard is very high.

Lower grades, Ski Instructors and Teachers (now called ISIA), have to pass a 'Test Technique' - which is a slalom. This gives them Stagiere (trainee) status in France, allowing them to work for some ski schools.

Once you have Stagiere status you then have a limited time/number of attempts at the Speed Test, as above.
snow report
ski, thanks.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,

Quote:

As we know, the French have had to loosen up their restrictions on foreign instructors working there.

Hoe have these restrictions loosened up then ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy