Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Russians are coming...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm interested to see that Russian has made it as a language on the the Morzine website.

I've only spent two seasons skiing around the Portes du Soleil, but noticed a large increase in Russian skiers last season over the previous season.

I know that Coucherval is favourite with Russians, but was wondering if people in other resorts have noticed a similar influx?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, a smattering of Russian heard in Megève.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed at the Chalet Philibert (lovely place with a Michelin starred chef by the way) in Morzine for the millennium, and the place was at least half filled with Russians. They must have had a lot of disposable income - there were hired Porsches and other up market cars in the car park, which didn 't move for the week!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite a few in Les Arcs last season, in fact I've seen more Russians in Les Arcs than I have in Courchevel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Large numbers of Russians in Zermatt last New Year - I think they like to ski then as it is their Christmas. Didn't notice any in Courcheval at Easter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots in Val Thorens 2 seasons ago. Prosneige ski school had their brochure and signs on the shop in Russian. I think their website has a Russian version as well, http://www.prosneige.fr/en/ but not this year rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, There were some weeks in the season last year where it seemed like everyone in Alpe D'Huez was Russian! I remember one week in particular during January when Grenoble airport was completely taken over (this is no exageration) there were at least 4 or maybe more flights to Russia all checking in at the same time - it was chaos. The most increadible thing was the ammount of food and groceries that they were trying to take onto the planes to take back to Russia - huge open bags and boxes full that clearly couldn't go in the hold and would be unlikely to fit in the overhead locker.....I did have to wonder what on earth was going to happen to it all Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Talking with a local in Courchevel back in March, and she was saying that a lot of the properties in 1850 (and we were talking big properties) are now owned by Russians. Shocked And they said the Communists had got it all wrong. Oh how quickly they do learn rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wherever I travel in Europe these days you seem to see more and more Russian tourists. In LDA there were quite a few this year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Same goes for Austria. Lech and St.Anton are now hoochin with Russians, who all seem to have loads of money, but little culture to go with it. The locals are having a hard time sorting this out, because while on the one hand they don't have any problems with the money, on the other they really would rather prefer the russians to just leave the money at the entrance to the village and then go off somewhere else without putting a blight on their cosy world...
Ah well. It'll be the Chinese next I guess wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Lawrie wrote:
...they really would rather prefer the russians to just leave the money at the entrance to the village and then go off somewhere else without putting a blight on their cosy world...

Mike Lawrie Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

There's quite a bit of very shallowly burried hostility in Morzine between the old, established French families (the Morzinoise) and the Brits. Much along these lines, but seldom so well put.

I might even get a spoof sign made up and put at the "Welcome to Morzine" sign...

Interestingly, there's been a bit of a softening of attitude on the part of the Morzinoise since the Russians started arriving. I think partly because the Russians make the French look like good queuers and treat the French in the same way that some of the Morzinoise treat the Brits rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, I haven't myself noticed any hostility but if there is it has developed since 1991 - probably simply because there are so many brits owning out there now. And not all of them very well behaved...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch wrote:
PhillipStanton, I haven't myself noticed any hostility but if there is it has developed since 1991 - probably simply because there are so many brits owning out there now. And not all of them very well behaved...

It's certainly there now. But it's sometimes not that obvious.

Ironically, the worst ire is aimed at the Brits who have made their homes in resort and actively contribute to the economy. The tipping point seems to have been that Brits have started becoming too successful and buying up some of the local shops.

A friend of a friend has a 10 year old son for whom there is "no space" in the local ski club, which is the local version of Scouts. Nor is there any room for children of other Brits with successful buinesses. There are, of course, children joining and leaving the club all the time. And it seems that Brits who know their place in the social heap can get their kids in...

British ski instructors in the area have strict time limits on doing their EuroTest once they've done their BASI 2 - whereas it's "somewhat more flexible" for staff working for ESF...

I'm sure it's no different or worse than any other resort.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy