Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nordica Nitrous or Völkl Karma

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys.

First my specs.

Lenght: 191cm/6'3''
Weight: 105kg/230lbs
Style: Old school, like to step into my skis with all my kg´s.
Likes to ride: Trees, easily accessible offpiste and some groomed. I do not hike into the back country.

Im trying to decide what ski I want to buy to complement my Völkl G31s. I love the old G31s and they are gonna remain my primary Groomers.

Im going to Fernie for 3 weeks this winter and feel I do want a tree/powder complement.

I know I could have listed tons of other skis that would be both better skis and better complements but atm cash is a constraint.

First let me say that I do want to complement with a ski that has good groomed characteristics as well because I will use it in other places then fernie. I will carry both my skis to Norway and the Alps as well. On days where I ski 50/50 I want to be able to use this new ski.

The ski should be about 60% offpist 40% pist or max 70/30.

I want the ski to be a little bit softer then my G31s but still not soft. It should have a kick back in it but yet be easily manouverable in the trees and powder.

I do know the Nitrous and Karma are different since the Karma is a twin tip. But I do not need the ski to be a twintip since Im oldschool.

The deals Ive found are

Last years Völkl Karma + binding for about 555 Euro.
Last years Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous + binding for about 372 Euro.

Which ski do you think would suite me the best for the fernie trip?
Which ski do you think would suite me the best for a 50-50 day in Alps or Norway?

Thanks in advance.
Tex
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TexMurphy, see there are some killer deals out there!

I've skied the Karmas and really enjoyed them. Nice and responsive. As they're a twin get them as long as you can.

Never skied the Nordicas, lots of people on here have though...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Karmas, for sure.

They are quite different animals, the Nitrous has really really good torsinal stiffness, and will let you hold an edge on the most unfriendly hardpack, whilst angulating like the Maier. But it's soft enough longitudinally to enjoy in the trees and powder too. So it's a piste animal that can cope with the thick stuff.

The Karmas on the other hand, are more at home in the ungroomed stuff, but also on all but the nastiest hardpack days will still hold some edge, but clearly not as well as the Nitrous. This animal is better suited to off ungroomed stuff, but won't complain for runs on the groomed stuff to get to your next tree and powder stash.

They (the Karmas) would make a good quiver alongside your G31's.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the Nitrous but have never skied teh Karmas. From what I've read, they both sound like they'd be good for you.

I can say that the Nitrous sounds perfect for what you want it for. I've skied it in Winter Park and the Alps and find it great fun in everything I've tried. It excels in boot deep powder and crud and is great on the hardpack. Also used it in tightish trees and moguls and seems good there too (though I'm not so good there). Not sure how well it would perform if it got really deep as I've never tried it. It is definitely a ski that likes to go fast and one I really find difficult to have a gentle cruise on, which suits me fine. Love it.

You say you're an 'old school' skier. Not sure what you mean by that. I would say that the Nitrous suits a modern carving style, but due to the 'x-balance' binding system can be more forgiving of stance that others perhaps.

I would say that the Nitrous is a steal at 372 euros and if I was torn between the two then that would make my mind up for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KARMA's without a doubt

A
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is the new Karma any good..?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The new Karma is the same as last seasons, except for graphics. There isn't any metal, but as you probably know it's a solid ski without it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowbot wrote:
The new Karma is the same as last seasons, except for graphics. There isn't any metal, but as you probably know it's a solid ski without it.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the titanial topsheet had been removed (shortened?) giving the ski a slightly softer flex in the present incarnation?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adam_button,

With all due respect why?

Why should I choose the Karma without a doubt at a price that is almost 200 EURO more expencive?

Im looking for advaice that somehow helps me motivate my decission. Inorder to get that I need more then a YES or NO.

Have you skiied both? If not which have you skied and in what conditions? What type of skier are you? Ect ect...

Tex
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
At 230lbs perhaps you'd be better with something a bit fatter than the karma. Would a mantra not fit the bill or a 189 k2 seth. Of course I suppose the seth may be more work than you'd want on the piste. I hear the Mantra totally rips everywhere though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mantra would be ultimate but then we are talkin price range of 800+ EURO as Ive been unable to find any on sale from last year in 185cm.

That unfortunatly disqualifies the Mantra.

The Nitrous are 123/78/108 and the Karmas are 119/87/111

So they are quite different in shape.

When skiing offpist/trees with powder or "broken" powder what is more important the tip width or the under foot width?

Am I correct when I assume that the wider tip will help prevent diving characteristics while the wide under foot gives overall better float (due to entire ski volume beeing higher).

Tex
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sport-conrad.com have the mantra for 450. In my opinion its best to go for what you really want, not just the cheapest. I see they also have the Scratch BC for very reasonable money. Telemark-pyrenees have the Elan 777 for 300 euros. Which would surely be a better alternative to the nordica. Ski-bilek have the head mojo 90 for 499 inc bindings (go for the 193cm snowHead ) and I hear they are pretty stiff, so may be worth a look. They even have the k2 pontoon for 449. If I were you I'd get the seth as it would be good for lift served powder, which I take it is you're main reason for wanting groomer performance. Keep an eye on ski-bilek as they have some mantras up from time to time, its a pity the package ones they have up at the minute are only 177. Or why not just get the skis in Fernie, say you lugging an extra pair round the airport, plus you'll be able to demo.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Edmund

Ill check the sports-conrad.com site.

The Nitrous are at a store in Fernie. One of the reasons its tempting. Wink They are a pair of last years on sale atm. If I dont like them after a few days I will get that ammount on other stuff in that store. Which is one part that is tempting.

I agree that one should go for whats a good ski and not constrain it by money but thing is 450 Euros is borderline what I have to spend given that I have to afford the 3 week trip to fernie it self. Wink

Basicly Im trying to get best value for my money and my needs. I know I wount get optimal skis but that is unfortunatly the problem of reality. :/

Tex
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edmundh009,

You have just made my GF love you.

Simultaniously as Ive been looking for skis for my self Ive been looking for a pair of skis for her.

She wants a pair of K2 True Luv´s from last year... Ive had one hell of a time finding them... but sports-conrad.com had them in the right lenght of the bargin price of 250 including bindings!!!

Thanks so much
Tex
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
250 inc bindings is a great price. It is difficult to suggest a ski for you given your size. I think you should have a look at sport-conrad again and create a short list again to get some more opinions. I wouldnt really bother with the karmas, go fatter. The scratch seems to be the best for the money with more of an off-piste bias, or the head mojo 90 with more of an all-mountain bias.
latest report
When I talked to the local dealer here about going Karma or BC he said "If I was you I wouldnt buy em".

He is a smaller guy then me but uses the Völkl AC4 as his main ride he the BCs where way too soft for him even in offpist. Sure he is a better skier then me having grown up in northen sweden with tons of ski days every year but still I do really not wana go too soft.

I could get a pair of used BCs in Fernie for sub 300 Euros. Still dont feel I wana go down that route without havnig demoed them.

Yeah Im makin a shortlist for my self.

Also for a guy at about 105-108 kg´s do you think a pair of 12 DIN bindings are enough?

Regarding the skis for my GF. Basicly we have been lookin for the True Luv´s for here but an alternative is B2s. She is a intermediate skiier who wants to have a ski to evolve on both on and off the pist (she will be sking offpist with me in fernie). She doesnt want a ski she will grow out of so to speak. Inorder to evolve as a skier in the groomed she needs a ski that is stable as she needs to let the skis run but inorder to do that she needs to trust the ski. Yet the ski shouldnt be too much work for her in the offpist.

Her size is 164cm and about 63kgs.

Im a bit worried that the B2s can be a bit too hard work in the offpist.

Yet I would say the B2s are more allround then the True Luv´s. From what I understand the True Luv is a all mountain ski but more of a groomer.

Whats your take B2 or True?

Tex
snow report
I know very little about womens specific skis. If you search back a couple of pages there may be a few threads which are of interest to you most notably posted by Easiski who is herself an instructor. If you want something stiff for all mountain I suppose its the mojo or karma but I really think you'll be compromising slightly on performance in the deep stuff. Have you thought about a Gotama.
ski holidays
TexMurphy,

Maybe B3s? MrsH is a very good skier and she skis on them everywhere - she was reading a reveiw and hadn't realised they were as wide as they are because she says they don't feel like it. I know lots of people who have them as only skis and no-one has a bad thing to say about them. If it really dumps in fernie B2's wont cut it.
I have a pair of Karmas that I've done two seasons with, they are great skis that'll go anywhere, I've even done a race or 2 on them (much to the disgust of the coaches!) but powder and chopped up snow is where they really come into their own they just blast through it yet are manouverable enough for tight trees and bumps. They are also probably made of Tiger tank surplus parts as I've had a pretty good go at destroying them and haven't succeeded - no core-shots or busted edges despite many rock incidents! snowHead
They are however a little stiff in the tip which means you need to be a little careful not to submarine them and go over the handlebars and can make really tight spots a little tricky!! snowHead
snow report
IF it really dumps we will just rent super fat powder skiis.

Especially my GF needs a pair of allround skis as it will be her only pair that should be able to handle anything from icey groomed to trees and light powder. Rentals will cover the deeeeep powder days.

Tex
snow report
TexMurphy, I still think out of the two you mention, the Nitrous wins it on value for money alone. However, you say you want 60% off piste 40% on piste. The Nitrous probably has it the other way round. It'll see you okay over all but the biggest powder days though, on which you could just hire.

As always, demo is probably the best option.
snow conditions
conor, that was my thinkin as well. I had decided to go with the Nitrous just due to the "bang per buck". This was until Edmundh showed me the sports-conrad.com link.

What Ive got now is a pair of Karmas 06/07 with same binding (but this years model) as the Nitrous for 419 EURO. At a 47 Euro difference I would say that the value for money has swung over to the Karmas.

So unless something drastical happens within the next day or two Im gonna go for the Karmas.

Tex
ski holidays
Plenty of people in Fernie ski Seths or Gotamas, 8800s/Legend Pros as their only ski so out of the 2 I'd go Karma unless you really expect/want to be skiing hardpack post your Canadian trip.
snow report
fatbob, For the hard packed after the Canada trip I will be using my Völkl G31s. So yeah you guys got me convinced Im going for the Karmas.

Tex
latest report
TeMurphy

Apologies for my lack of write up.

Tested both at Castleford and IMHO the following came out of it:

Nitrous - value for money, decent flex (not stiff enough for me) decent costruction and good for all mountain, a little twitchy on slow runs in, not as heavy or responsive as my Dynies or Volkl's.

Karma - constructed to almost bullet proof ness - had Dogens for years, side cut better for off piste being 87's rather than I think its 79's for the Nordica's? construction better, solid good ski with no looseness to it on run ins and piste.

I ski on - Dynastar Trouble Makers with Look P12 Jib binding - mostly park and piste, K2 Public Enemy with Rossi Axial 1 120 bindings (same as look p12) - park and back country and Volkl Dogens with Marker 12 Free bindings - trashed on ramps at dry slopes and in LaTania!!!

I use my volkls every week at Gloucester and they are now loking a real state, however, the side walls have not de-laminated in any way, edge is perfect and they are great for not only park and pipe, but all mountain.

I said Karma because it is a little stiffer than the Dogen and with a slightly bigger sidecut it should do you well in the back country. Worth spending the extra bit IMHO go well with marker bindings or if you can get them try the Rossi Axial 1 120's, perfect jib binding!!!! Toofy Grin

Finally - Lets face it, nordica are new to the whole twin tips thing, so would you trust them???? stick with a manufacturer that's tried and tested!!! Razz

Am going to try the new Amplid's this year - love the Royal teddy - want want want want snowHead

A
latest report
adam_button, The guys who designed your Dogen and Karma are the same guys that design the Nordica skis! Puzzled rolling eyes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Plus the Nordica Hot rod is not a twin Tip as far as I'm aware. At 200lbs plus I think you'll need a ski with 90mm+ in the waist for decent float. I'm suprised none of the Freeriders have jumped all over this thread with recommendations. Shocked
snow report
doesn't matter now as he's bought the Karma's - anyway - was taling about construction, not design lol Razz
ski holidays
adam_button, So was I! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adam_button, Finally - Lets face it, nordica are new to the whole twin tips thing, so would you trust them???? stick with a manufacturer that's tried and tested!!! Quote! Cool
latest report
lol, and your point is? lol
latest report
adam_button, Elephant. wink
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, any idea what happened with Nordica's freeride bit. They seemed to enter the market with the 9.1 (think that's the name) which seems to get talked bout in hushed tones as one of the great skis. Then they kind of went out with a wimper with the Beast line.

Got to say that the new Supercharger line looks very tasty - do you think they're in it for keeps this time?
snow report
Arno, 100% in it for keeps, the Supercharger range rock! Think K2 vs Volkl. Graphics need some work, but thats been addressed for 2007/8. We made the SCOTT PURE our ski of the year, however the ENFORCER came a close second. Should/could be the ski to displace the SETH! Little Angel
ski holidays
Adam

Thanks for the write up. Ive actually not bought the Karmas yet... Ive decided to 99% but still can always change my mind.. Wink

Speakin about bindings... Im not a jibber so I dont really need a jib binding..

Which would you recommend.
Karma + Rossignol Axial 2 120 Pro = 409 Euro
Karma + Rossignol Axial 2 140 Ti Pro wide brake = 469 Euro
Karma + Rossignol Scratch Ti 140 = 469 Euro
Karma + Marker M 12.0 Free = 419 Euro
Karma + Marker M 14.0 Free = 449 Euro
Karma + Atomic FFG12 = 399 Euro
Karma + Look PX 12 Ti Jib Wide = 449Euro

Tex
snow report
FFG 12, no doubt!
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Think a 12 DIN binding is enough?

Tex
latest report
TexMurphy, Sorry, just checked your stats, er no, FFG 14 or higher! Embarassed
snow conditions
TexMurphy, the Axial 2 140 Ti Pro and Scratch Ti 140 are the same binding - different graphics. The Look PX12 Ti is the titanium version of the Axial 2 120 Pro.
I'd go for the Look - it has the wide brake (which I think you'll need for the Karma), and is lighter.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Arno, 100% in it for keeps, the Supercharger range rock! Think K2 vs Volkl. Graphics need some work, but thats been addressed for 2007/8. We made the SCOTT PURE our ski of the year, however the ENFORCER came a close second. Should/could be the ski to displace the SETH! Little Angel

the graphics on this year's supercharger blower rock if you ask me
latest report
I'm with WTFH - go with the Look PX12 ti nice strong binding, mate has them on his PE's and loves them

A
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy