Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
I usually go to Val Thorens in Easter but as Easter is earlier this year was thinking of group of us going a bit lower in les Menuires on 31st March. Taking a few beginners and Les Menuires is better for them. Think is also that we can always catch lifts up to VT anyway. Its also much cheaper. Anyone think it would be really bad idea? If not i'll go ahead and book it. Thoughts please.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
garethjomo, I've passed through Les Menuires but never stopped - wouldn't mind being based there but god is it ugly Shocked Frosty the snowman has stopped in nearby Reberty (see his report here), but that was in January.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
garethjomo, The skiing rocks. We are going sunday 1st April back to Reberty. Apres matters not as we a families, but the skiing is great. I would heartily recommend Reberty if you like chalet board. Oops, just noticed beginners, and Les Menuries would be better than Reberty. La Masse has great skiing and is sunny in the morning, Les Menuires side has sun in the afternoon. If there is enough snow don't forget Jerusalem above St MArtin, an awesome run.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not really a fan of Les Menuires. I stayed there a long time ago and we had a rubbish holiday because the town was so awful. Like you I usually ski in val thorens. Last year I stayed in this self catering apartment we found on the net. It was really cheap - not sure it was any more than a flat in Menuires. had a great view and it is above the lifts. Have a look http://www.valthorensapartment.eu/ Either way, that valley of 3 valleys is definitely the best - best thing about Val Thorens over Menuires is easy access to the fourth valley which is called Orelle. Amazing skiing there.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 28-09-06 16:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 brian
brian
pds1976, welcome to snowHead s.

I see you and the appt owners have misspelled Orelle in the same way.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pds1976 - welcome also.

I don't wish to be too critical, but if this looks like something out of a 1970s ski brochure. It would have to be even cheaper to entice me in.

brian - how is your place coming along?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Phillip thanks for the "kind" welcome.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
PhillipStanton, don't know if I'm allowed to tell you (shifty smiley), but I just received word from the Etat du Valais that they consider me proper enough to own in Switzerland.

Little do they know Toofy Grin

Anyway, if you check the link in my sig you can see a fabulous building site I stayed near recently having found it completely by chance on that interweb-thingy ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pds1976 - honest sincere welcome intended.

If it is your apartment then saying something's rubbish and then pumping one's own place isn't in itself a friendly thing to do. But you can fix that by editing the post and putting the link in you signature - like brian's done.

If it isn't then I don't see why you'd be offended by the observation.

The comment stands about the picture. If it is your place then I'd suggest replacing it with a more flattering one.

So. I'll say welcome again Very Happy

The smile is a sincere one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
garethjomo, whby do you think Les Menuires is better for beginners? I think VT is better for beginners as in LM you have the run in to La Croisette getting quite crowded towards the end of the evening. Also access to La Masse is via a (albeit wide) road which can be daunting for many beginners.
VT on the other hand gives easy access to a few blues via chairlifts directly off the central slope.
Either way, I like both resorts so you're onto a winner whichever one you book!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian - I had a look.

The site and apartment looks nice - and the room sizes look good (especially compared to our place in France).

You must be getting excited.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Phillip, not mine, but my offence due to your judgement of something that I've said I enjoy. The view from the balcony alone sufficient, but in my experience of many flats over many years, their interiors do tend to be fairly similar. For me as long as it's clean, good location and has a great view then I don't look for more. Thank you for your welcome though, which is appreciated. You seem to know the Three Valleys quite well, I agree with you about the access to Menuires being a bit scary for beginners - many moons ago I learnt there on a school trip - not something I'd recommend, but equally VT is slightly steep for true beginners. I found La Plagne the best for beginners, but totally boring for anyone with more than one week experience.

Enjoy the season
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My apologies if I offended you pds1976. Not intented.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nightshift wrote:
garethjomo, why do you think Les Menuires is better for beginners? I think VT is better for beginners as in LM you have the run in to La Croisette getting quite crowded towards the end of the evening. Also access to La Masse is via a (albeit wide) road which can be daunting for many beginners.
VT on the other hand gives easy access to a few blues via chairlifts directly off the central slope.
Either way, I like both resorts so you're onto a winner whichever one you book!

IMHO There is no skiing on La Masse for beginners

Quote:
I found La Plagne the best for beginners, but totally boring for anyone with more than one week experience.
pds1976, It would be a dull world if we were all the same Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, I agree - certain stretches of the blues on Le Masse are lovely but getting to them and then out of them can be too tricky for beginners.
ski holidays
Blues on La Masse?

It is one of my favourite parts of the 3V but from memory this is because it involves a fair bit of mild terror. It is usually deserted, even at february half term, despite the nice restaurant at the top.

The other side of Les Menuires is an ant heap covered in beginners. All the same, I wouldn't rule it out for comparatively inexperienced people as you can get most places in the 3V on reasonable blues. As for La Plagne..... blue heaven.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, sorry, there is only one blue, not blueS - the Vallon from the top of the first cable car.

The off piste out the back of La Masse down to Lac De Lou is superb however.
ski holidays
nightshift, Not being pedantic (for once) just, if there had been a blue option, I would have been on it!

How terrifying is Lac Noir? I found the La Masse black "fairly". How does it compare?

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, I didn't think you were being pedantic so no worries Smile

The Masse black itself is one of my favourites in the whole 3v's. I know the first section is quite daunting, especially when it's windy and busy but when it's empty and the snow is nice it's brilliant for big, long, fast carved turns. Equally, if it is busy, get yourself right over onto the righthand side and enjoy the powdery snow pushed over by everyone else for some nice short swing turns. I love that slope!
Lac Noir has it's moments but the off piste around the sides of it are nice.
But Rocher Noir I avoid like the plague as it's one of the worst slopes in LM - always covered in icy bumps and the snow is normally v patchy.

Here's a link to the map so you can see the ones I'm on about..

http://www.sevabel.com/IMG/jpg/plan_pistes_menuires_2000pix.jpg

Oooh, all this chat has got me really excited about the coming season!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
me too. Better than internal squabbles among members isn't it! Let's talk skiing!

Is Rocher Noir in the same area? I'll avoid anyway!

snowHead
ski holidays
yes, I don't get all the internal squabbling stuff - I just end up scanning over it anyway so I never know what's going on!

The Rocher Noir is on the bottom, left section of La Masse as you look at the piste map. It's shut more often than not anyway because the snow is normally not so good on there - it's one of the first slopes to get very patchy on that side.

Are you going to LM/ VT this year? I'm so overexcited about it all as last year I only managed 2 days of skiing all season despite being there most months for at least a few days - not good.
snow conditions
nightshift, I will be in that area from the 10th Feb to the 17th. We have the use of a flat at the top of Mottaret but we get around at reasonable pace, so LM and VT are in range. Last year we tended to explore Courchevel and St Martin more than VT, but I want to try to get over there more this coming Feb. have never been into 4th valley or even Cime de Caron, but that is the joy of the 3V. So much to see and do....

Tended to have mixed groups in the past. Might be a bit more homogenous this time.

snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy