Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hands-free liftpasses: are they transferable between skiers? What's 'the law'?

Poster: A snowHead
The London Underground (and buses) now has a system - the Oyster card - which we're well familiar with on ski lifts. It's a credit card-sized card with a transponder and smart chip which opens barriers and (if you recharge it with payment) memorises the journeys you've taken, deducting payments. So it's actually more sophisticated than a liftpass.

Many people seem to swap Oyster cards, especially during a given day, since this potentially means two people can take advantage of the maximum charge to the card for a day's travel. I suspect that this is a breach of the terms of using the card, but I don't know.

Likewise, anyone using an electronic liftpass who stops at lunchtime could give the pass to someone else for a free afternoon's skiing - technically, but perhaps not legally.

Resorts like Val d'Isere have traditionally been very keen to spot people using other people's photo liftpasses, confiscating them (usually not returning them until the end of the day).

So, are lift companies now less concerned about that loss of revenue ... in exchange for the financial attraction of having an automated barrier system with fewer personnel?

Are electonic liftpasses transferable between skiers, or is it prohibited? Presumably checks are never made ... or are they?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be down to the terms and conditions attached to the pass but unlikely they'd be transferrable.
I have seen mention on here before about a picture being attached to the pass number on the computer the first time you go through a check, that then allows the lifties to see if the right person is using it later on.

Automated barriers don't have to lead to less staff, you still nead someone to run the thing and chucker-oners and seat tippers seem common enough in the handsfree pass equipped Skiwelt. Likewise someone handing you the T-bar, it's not essential but it was a common sight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David, certainly in Serre Chevalier, at certain key lifts, there is a computer in the lifties little hut which displays the users photo that was registered at the time of purchase. The photos are scanned onto the computer at the lift pass office, stored there, and printed onto the card. I suppose for short use lift passes, 3 days or less you would get away with it, as they don't require you to have a photo. We have Snowpass watches, and we can add our liftpass to these online, so I suppose anyone could then use the pass, as there is no photos added. However, when we used these at the liftpass office, we still had to produce a photo, and it was stuck onto a card, that we were meant to produce if asked. There was also a serial no on there that corresponded to our lift pass no.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would guess that photo passes are not transferable, but nobody could tell with a non photo pass
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, you mean you havent checked the terms and conditions with your solicitor ??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, May I suggest you use the search facility on here, this has been discussed at lengh on at least 2 previous occasions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, you cannot do this for a season pass, infact for season 2006/07 you cant even buy a season pass at the caisee you have to send off for it before hand.

basically if you get caught with someone elses pass you will have it confiscated (sp???) and possilbly banned from the moutnain.

if you are prepared to risk such things go ahead and loan them out.

i know of all the lifts that check propperly but you still risk it big time
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frankly it's not practicable though, is it? I mean for a day trip, one of us takes both Snopass watches to the cash desk, in fact we've done that for 3 and 4 days too - certainly no photo there and all the hands-free passes are advertised as not needing a photo except for a season pass. And in Courchevel last year the TO's rep bought the hands-free passes for us - the only constraint in both cases is/was to carry the receipt to prove you've actually paid for the passes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowangel., I wasn't intending to. , I was just pointing out what happened when we were there. I certainly wouldn't give them to anyoone else to use. Maybe you misunderstood me. I was actually pointing out that it would be difficult, as your photo comes up in the computer when your pass is scanned at the lift. Except for the day passes.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowangel., do property owners, and therefore, local taxpayers get a special rate on the season pass? Many other SH's seem to get them in other resorts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Morzine any hands free pass over 6 days (I think) needs a photo, which is printed onto the card and also stored electronically. They will, however, scan your passport photo. All the key base stations have monitors that flash up photos as you scan through - though, frankly, the photos flash up so quickly that you'd have to be dead unlucky to be caught - especially if you're wearing goggles / helmet / hat, etc.

Helen Beaumont - interestingly, the only time I've stayed in Serre Che, is the only time I've seen what looked like a very obviously abusive scam. When we arrived, the hotel handed out hands-free passes and asked for (demanded in fact) passports as hostage for the passes. It caused a near riot with our group. We quickly found out why - they were using staff season passes instead of buying weekly passes for the punters. When we returned to the UK we reported the hotel to the tour operator. They very quickly offered us refunds on our passes to go away.

David Goldsmith wrote:
Many people seem to swap Oyster cards, especially during a given day...

David Goldsmith - just for reference Pay As You Go Oyster cards are transferable (though not within a single day), but period passes aren't. It's actually quite hard to "double dip" on the tube as the barriers won't let the same card enter the station within 10 minutes (I think) unless you've exited. The system also monitors and identifies cards that are repeatedly enter stations within half an hour.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
with lift passes, when i was out in mayrhofen last season i stayed with a load of seasonaires, one of which actually went away for 8 of the days i was there. i used his lift pass for the whole time, and it got checked once, and bearing in mind im blonde with 0 facial hair, and the pass had a photo was of a dark haired, full bearded guy and the guy who checked it didnt even think twice. although apparently if you get caught using someone elses lift pass it gets confiscated which is a rather large loss.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smokin Joe wrote:
David Goldsmith, you mean you havent checked the terms and conditions with your solicitor ??

Don't have one.
boredsurfin wrote:
David Goldsmith, May I suggest you use the search facility on here, this has been discussed at lengh on at least 2 previous occasions.

Yes, you may suggest it. An alternative is not to enter a thread which sounds repetitive. I can't actually find anything in the search facility on this - was it discussed in stand-alone threads, or ones which went off-topic?
PhillipStanton wrote:
... just for reference Pay As You Go Oyster cards are transferable (though not within a single day).

It doesn't seem that the authorities would have any effective control over this. Although the ID of an Oyster cardholder is registered, there would be no way that ID could be checked for a random user in a tube station. Or would the attendant have the right to demand ID?
Helen Beaumont wrote:
David, certainly in Serre Chevalier, at certain key lifts, there is a computer in the lifties little hut which displays the users photo that was registered at the time of purchase. The photos are scanned onto the computer at the lift pass office, stored there, and printed onto the card.

With the latest ski lifts 'processing' one skier per second, I should think there's very little effective control over liftpasses being used by the wrong person.

Maybe the conclusion is that our irises will be checked at ski lifts at some point in the future!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Many people seem to swap Oyster cards, especially during a given day, since this potentially means two people can take advantage of the maximum charge to the card for a day's travel. I suspect that this is a breach of the terms of using the card, but I don't know.

I did not know that. I keep hearing of money-saving wheezes from people with time to spend all day on the buses. It is the first I have heard of this one. I will pass it on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So were going to get a whole load of season passes under names like 'Mr Snowhead' 'Mrs Snowhead' etc at huge discount and share them on a week-by week basis ?
As others have pointed out, this would very likely breach the t&c.

Using a pass while someone is at lunch (IE a one-for-one exchange of user with no time overlap) is also probably in breach, but less wrong. However the situation is vanishingly small and not worth worrying about.

I have seen people go through the ski barrier and pass the pass back to a nother member of their group. I would have thought there would be a time limit but obviously not in all cases.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
It doesn't seem that the authorities would have any effective control over this. ...Although the ID of an Oyster cardholder is registered, there would be no way that ID could be checked for a random user in a tube station. Or would the attendant have the right to demand ID?

If you mean me using a Pay As You Go card in the morning and then handing it over to Mrs PhillipStantont to use for the afternoon / evening then no. But it's no worse than a paper ticket in that respect.

Whilst they encourage you to register, you can have a Pay As You Go card without registering it or providing any ID.
snow report
PhillipStanton, was it a TO run hotel or an independent one? PM me the details if you don't want to say on here. Just out of interest as we had a problem with lift passes on our first visit.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, it was tour operator one - although, to be honest, I've forgotten the name of both as it was about 4 years ago. I could probably work out which one it was from a village map if you can point me at one.
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
I would guess that photo passes are not transferable, but nobody could tell with a non photo pass

What if the 2nd user has hat/helmet, goggles etc and a similar jacket wink
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, if it was in Villeneuve I may know which one it is anyway. We were in self-catering accommodation and were given passes with other peoples photos on. We were told we didn't need our own on, but one of the kids was stopped at the lift (the photo was of a small girl). The rep (same TO as hotel) took the passes away that evening, along with the photos we'd tried to give him, and returned with the proper pics on. May not have been connected of course. The passes seemed to be othrwise OK, dates of validity etc. We propbably just had someone elses lift passes, it happened in La Plagne once too.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, given the level of money to be made operating something like this I'd be surprised if it wasn't connected. Even on one pass your looking at somone making £600+ over a season.
snow conditions
If you try that in Austria or Swtizerland your end up down the Police Station. The fines are HUGE Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy