Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zag skis

Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Dynastar? Possible, but I doubt it.

Dynastar have their own issues trying to remain in the Quiksilver stable. Don't Amer already make BD and Movement skis through Atomic... I guess adding Zag to the line-up might have some logic. That said there do seem to be a lot of unsold Zags in shops.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, I don't think they've been all that clever with markieting to be honest. they allowed only one shop per resort, even for testing or hire. The thing is (according to their bumph) they're manufactured differently to other skis. If so, then it would have to be a snowboard manufacturer who bought the patents. Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
The thing is (according to their bumph) they're manufactured differently to other skis. If so, then it would have to be a snowboard manufacturer who bought the patents. Confused

Radical?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, Right from the beginning of Zag they made a big thing about being built like a snowboard and not like a ski. It was part of the radical concept (which is presumably what is patented). Therefore - how about Burton going into ski manufacture? Why not - plenty of marques go the other way .... Just a thought! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, no, I meant Radical the company...
http://www.radical-sports.com/english/frame/f-home.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Right from the beginning of Zag they made a big thing about being built like a snowboard and not like a ski. It was part of the radical concept (which is presumably what is patented). Therefore - how about Burton going into ski manufacture? Why not - plenty of marques go the other way .... Just a thought! Toofy Grin

I doubt Burton would buy a "failing" ski company. If they wanted to start a ski brand they could probably create one pretty efficiently on their own as they are pretty good at creating sub-brands: Anon, Gravis, Analog etc. I doubt they would though - why risk such a move in an overcrowded market (& risk eroding your core marketing proposition e.g. " by boarders for boarders")?

Not sure what their intellectual property would be - surely its pretty easy to rip off ski dimensions and for all the marketing bs a competent designer must be able to produce the appropriate "liveliness/damping/stiffness/pop" etc.

So anyone know where I can pick up some Slaps at a bargain price? wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:

In all seriousness, I might have some interest in a pair if anyone happened to stop by that auction...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton wrote:
fatbob wrote:

In all seriousness, I might have some interest in a pair if anyone happened to stop by that auction...

Like the vultures we are maybe we could organise a group bid. After all we presumeably wouldn't be getting much of a warranty wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, We could organise a bid for the whole company, "ZAG snowHeads" ....... if everyone put £20 in the kitty, we'd be on the pigs back, all snowHeads would be on ZAG skis & watch the squids rolling in....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC, But then there are some here who are allergic to all things Tarentaise! Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC wrote:
if everyone put £20 in the kitty, we'd be on the pigs back

Do you really think Kitty will appreciate that? And then you call her a pig? Shocked Laughing

But yeah, if each snowHead put in a few hundred, we probably could buy it...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
... a very large ski bag.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Dynastar have their own issues trying to remain in the Quiksilver stable. Don't Amer already make BD and Movement skis through Atomic... I guess adding Zag to the line-up might have some logic. That said there do seem to be a lot of unsold Zags in shops.

Movement are made, funnily enough, by Movement! Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, Nice idea, however i couldn't really care about ZAG but SNOWHEADS VOLKL is a different proposition!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No chance of Scott going bust and auctioning off Mission skis? Just thought I'd ask wink
snow report
achilles, I'll buy into that for a Dollar, can i take the 'Pures'? Twisted Evil
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, I think you might be surprised at how much it gets sold for in the end.........sorry Kitty!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
BernardC, you really think it will be < 500,000?
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
davidof wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Movement are made, funnily enough, by Movement! Little Angel

In the case of movement that is indeed true but Black Diamond skis are made by Atomic. Movement were originally made by Duret as were Bumtribe until Duret ran into financial difficulties. I believe Movement use a subcontractor in Italy now.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes.
latest report
BernardC, under £100,000?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Looking at the basics, it appears ZAG made a profit of 181.000 euro, on sales of 618.000 euro. On face value these figures seem reasonable, but I don't know if profit figures are pre-tax, or otherwise. As a going concern the business will have a higher value, but as it stands at the moment, I would imagine well less than £100,000, but plus the value of any assets, premises, land etc. It would be a great project to invest in, if the manufacturing team could be kept together - you intrested?
ski holidays
BernardC, for some strange reason, yes!
snow report
BernardC, Where did those figures come from, they are way above industry standards, profitability of nearly 30% in this market is simply impossible
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, I wonder is the 1 a typo, and shoud it be 81k profit (and not 181) - that would be a bit closer.
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Wear The Fox Hat, ..... No it's 181.000 euro and from a reliable source. The key fact will be whether it is gross or net profit. I would be interested - not individually, but perhaps as part of a group. I think I will at least get some information from the relevant authorities. Anyone want to be kept in the loop?
snow report
BernardC, Yes - no money though, but time and some contacts! Let's start a "Save the Zag" movement.

Seriously, one problem (if the articles are right) is that next year's skis haven't been made, so there would be a whole season missing which would certainly not help with the marketing side.
snow report
BernardC, There is no way that it can be net profit, industry standards are from 4 - 9 %, even Amer who are the most profitable group are barely into double figures, my guess is that it is probably what is known as "resultat d'exploitation" which is akin to gross. If they were making that kind of money they would not only not run into problems but would have potential buyers hammering the door down. That kind of net profit is rarely seen outside of the software industries.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok...the ball is rolling....
snow report
It looks like the fat lady hasn't quite sung for the Zag boys in BSM. The senior staff there hope to purchase the key assets and get the business going again in time for this season's production. More info at My Snow Sports.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, Pete really got in there didn't he? They are literally about 500m from his house though, for peeps that don't know.
snow report
easiski, yes, it's nice to have a bit of on-the-spot reporting, which is why I enjoy your news from LDA Smile
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Very Happy
snow conditions
There has been some very good quality reporting in mysnowsports. Zag and the Tignes glacier stories were home territory, I guess - but none the worse for that, and thoughtfully reported. The Norwegian report on helmets was spreading the net wider, though, with the most persuasive case I have seen for helmets.

Pardon, I can do OT wink
ski holidays
Really do hope they(Zag)can pull it off.Have always liked the look of their skis,and am still aiming for the day I can give a pair of their 'fats' a blast Very Happy Have skied the 'Rouge' and they were fantastic.Remember speaking to a couple of the Zag team at last years PSB.Nice guys,committed and enthusiastic.Thanks to mysnowsports for the latest update.
Shall keep a close eye on this........and my fingers crossed.
ski holidays
An update on this story across at mysnowsports, and the news isn't so positive at the moment.
ski holidays
A further update on the Zag situation.
snow report
They can still be bought on ebay. I got a new pair for this season for £160. Bargain.
latest report
Marvel wrote:
They can still be bought on ebay. I got a new pair for this season for £160. Bargain.

That's a pretty good price. Which model? Bindings as well?
snow report
rob@rar, thanks for reminding me to look! Bl88dy nuisence that they're not planning a public auction for the remaining stock - that means we've had it! I was after the ex demo park skis for mogul use ... Twisted Evil I shall be interested to see what happens if a new company emerges from the ashes, but they would have to work very hard to restore my confidence. After all I paid more for my zags than for my fischer WCs and they didn't last a season. Fischer's are currently just about to start their 3rd season as my daily ski. the inability to bid for "spares" has put me right off.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy