Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zag skis

Poster: A snowHead
Zag skis reported to have hit "rocky ground". Hope this is not a major problem for a certain LDA instructor.

[edit]Link anchor text edited, after comment made by David Goldsmith.[/edit] Little Angel

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 23-09-06 12:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i think we may see quite a lot of brands either disappearing or merging with others, there are just too many ski brands out there, (currently around 29 available in the UK alone) it is a real shame if a good one like zag disappears into the abiss
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have never riden Zag skis but I have to say they seem to be overpriced. There are still plenty of new mfrs. emerging on the scene anyway such as Amplid, Prior and Surface. Perhaps this is down to their quality control Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a bit of a worry; I think it's good to have number of smaller 'niche market' manufacturers if only to keep the big companies on their toes. There's one Zag ski in the Snow&Rock catalogue this year - is that the first time that this brand has reached the UK mass market? Hopefully that will at least improve the awareness of the brand.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone skiied a pair. I like the idea of about 90mm underfoot and a small turn radius. It would be a big confidence booster for folks venturing into deeper stuff, although they may be a bit twitchy as a result.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thought they'd been in EB & S+R for a couple of years. They are obviously freely available in the Tarantaise. I've got to admire the guy for breaking the mould. Though I've never tried them I've always thought they'd be great fun. Maybe a bit of a Marmite ski though from reviews I've read. Sounds like over expansion not lack of market could be the problem. Drake Boinay went down last year due to quality isues IIRC but I think that was quality issues with carbon fibre.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Who says Zag skis are in trouble? Achilles does, on the strength of a report in mysnowsports.com which is actually headlined:
Quote:
ZAG Skis Hit Rocky Ground

Maybe snow is thin.
The 'substance' of the story is:
Quote:
So how come such a forward-looking market leader has found itself struggling to meet its commitments at such an early stage in the company's lifetime?

What commitments? Financial? Production? Marital?
This story has an air of hearsay. Let's see some authority to it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, easiski has a pair (Zag Rouge I think) and seems to really like them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill wrote:
Anyone skiied a pair. I like the idea of about 90mm underfoot and a small turn radius. It would be a big confidence booster for folks venturing into deeper stuff, although they may be a bit twitchy as a result.

Marc, if you recall Martin Bell was on a pair of Zag's at ESA - not sure which model but they were pretty fat underfoot with a 15m radius I think. He wasn't too shabby on them either wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, yes I remember, I'm pretty sure they were the 75's. As you say, they didn't seem to hold him back too much.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill wrote:
spyderjon, yes I remember, I'm pretty sure they were the 75's. As you say, they didn't seem to hold him back too much.
I'm curious to know what skis would hold Martin Bell back Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, Original link anchor text amended.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
Who says Zag skis are in trouble?
What commitments? Financial? Production? Marital?
This story has an air of hearsay. Let's see some authority to it.

hah well if they were not in trouble they soon will be Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not quite clear what you mean, davidof.

If they're not in trouble, and Peter Garwood has been give false information by the Zag employee he refers to, then they have channels of redress. They'd certainly want to squash the story like a Pistenbully and aggressively prove they are OK, I'd imagine.

If they're not in trouble, then the story only has wings if it's given wings. I'd be more comfortable with it if it had a bit of factual corrobation. If, as stated, Zag are in "cession de paiement" status, then presumably that's a legal status of the company, reported in the public domain.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith wrote:
Not quite clear what you mean, davidof.

It the story were not true then it could cause Zag some problems. If I were considering buying one of their skis then I would reconsider until I had more information.

Quote:
If they're not in trouble, and Peter Garwood has been give false information by the Zag employee he refers to, then they have channels of redress. They'd certainly want to squash the story like a Pistenbully and aggressively prove they are OK, I'd imagine.

I imagine so.

Quote:
If they're not in trouble, then the story only has wings if it's given wings. I'd be more comfortable with it if it had a bit of factual corrobation. If, as stated, Zag are in "cession de paiement" status, then presumably that's a legal status of the company, reported in the public domain.

Given the report it sounds like they had cash flow problems. Quite a scoop for MySnowSports.com. It is a bit like Chapter 11 in the States, Zag may just need to refinance.
snow conditions
My snow sports . com does not appear to be available at the moment Puzzled
latest report
boredsurfin, I'm getting it ok
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Sorted, my ad blocking software has blocked the site,

Correction, I could not access Mysnowsports.com or any links to it as that site requires information about my browser which our security package will not allow it to have Shocked I mistakenly thought that add blocking was to blame.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 23-09-06 13:56; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
boredsurfin, did you have to configure your ad blocking software to show posts about La Ros as well?
snow report
FenlandSkier, Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, See the correction to my post above.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

Marc, if you recall Martin Bell was on a pair of Zag's at ESA - not sure which model but they were pretty fat underfoot with a 15m radius I think. He wasn't too shabby on them either wink

That's right, they were 134/84/112, 188cm length 15.5m sidecut radius.
Nice skis for Snowbird!
snow conditions
Martin Bell wrote:
....... 188cm length.......

Wow. I've never thought of you as a short bloke, but that's getting back to the old days!

[edit] Can't believe I wrote that. Sign of a rather liquid afternoon. That said, I am impressed a that ski length - and I suppose it is a sign of different skiing standards. Very different in this case. I used to ski on 195s in the old days. I feel more comfortable on 175s now [/edit]
snow conditions
Well, as many already know I have a pair of Zag Le Rouge and love them to death. There does seem to be a quality control problem though (I'm on my third pair in a season). However I was interested to read in Fall Line magazine today that many people found them too stiff and unforgiving. I love them to bits - hold like a slalom ski on ice, are super light, 78 under the foot is plenty for lil ol me ....... Fall line went on to say that "some instructors swear by them" - wonder where they got that??? Are there other instructors out there who love their Rouges? They only sold 50 or so pairs. A technical ski, but 10x better than any ladies ski I've tried. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (Bit stiff in bumps though) Sad
latest report
easiski wrote:
Fall line went on to say that "some instructors swear by them" - wonder where they got that??? They only sold 50 or so pairs. A

Like the B2 is a "punter ski" apparently Zags have a reputation as "instructor skis".

I reckon they sold somewhere around 1500-2000 pairs of skis last season.
snow report
davidof, It was Le Rouge they only sold about 50 pairs of. Pete and I went to see them in June, and I have that from the horse's mouth. The other models sell better. Le Rouge is billed as more pisty than most of their offerings, and apparently suitable for ladies and small men. Ise didn't like them, but Snowskisnow did. What does that say? (Le Rouge). It does seem that the majority of people who like Le Rouge are technical skiers though.

Hopefully a number of snowHead will test them at the PSB. Very Happy
latest report
easiski wrote:
There does seem to be a quality control problem though (I'm on my third pair in a season)

What's been the problem with them easiski?
latest report
easiski, the Zags have gone on my list Smile Not 100% sure which model, although my arm could be twisted Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It would be a great shame if we saw the end of Zag skis. At the SIGB test this year we had great snow conditions for them (unlike previous years when they have largely been overlooked) and almost every person I spoke to about their favourite skis from the test mentioned one of the Zag skis as their top pick. I just hope that this years ski tests reflect this feeling of the testers and Zag gets the break they deserve in the UK market.

I love them to pieces. The H112 and the Slaps were amazing.
ski holidays
ZAG have liquidated, finished, pushing up the daisies.................................... Sad
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, do you have a link?
snow conditions
Yes it is true. The achilles report has now changed and there is much more information there. Very sad fro Zag, Bazu and the others.
snow report
They're likely to get the zag
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
ZAG have liquidated,.................................... Sad

I thought that wasn't till next month, according to PG's article.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, Delamination - under the heel binding on the first pair (occasionally happens to other models), and the topsheet on the second pair (apparently only on Le Rouge). this is more really bad news for small companies.
snow report
easiski wrote:
this is more really bad news for small companies.

Completely agree. I wonder if one of the bigger companies will buy them for their patents?
snow report
It is a good scoop from MySnowSports and should really make the Snowheads news section. I'm pleased they have been able to provide more information about the problems.

easiski wrote:
this is more really bad news for small companies.

Zag are not the only small manufacturer to have suffered delamination problems, it is obviously a complicated business making a modern ski.

The big ski makers are also suffering from a restructuring of the ski market.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 25-09-06 16:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
marc gledhill wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
ZAG have liquidated,.................................... Sad

I thought that wasn't till next month, according to PG's article.

Peter Garwood's update today wrote:

However the liquidation process is now irreversible, and a place and date is soon to be fixed for the auctioning off of remaining stock.

Peter has a pretty good accuracy record on this - so I guess that's the way it is.
latest report
achilles wrote:

Peter has a pretty good accuracy record on this - so I guess that's the way it is.

Skipass has a bit more information:-

http://www.skipass.com/news/Zag-c-est-fini.html
ski holidays
So, who would buy them?
K2? No. No need - with Line & Volkl they already have a good stable.
Rossi? Who are they? Wink
Dynastar? Possible, but I doubt it.

BUT...
Amer Sports? Now there's a brand that might want to broaden it's appeal...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy