Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cool ski reads for the beach

Poster: A snowHead
Very hot holidays are not really my bag, but that's the deal. So are there any exciting reads to conjure up cooler times ahead and the thrill of the powder?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin, I suffer exactly the same dilemma.

It's a bit obvious, but Joe Simpson's Touching the Void is a cert, as is anything else by him.

Nick Crane's "Cool waters rising" is a wonderful story of a walk across all the mountain ranges of southern Europe, including a new year's day ascent of Mt. Blanc. Jon Krakauer's "into the Wild", an interesting description of a boy's escape from it all, is pretty wild and mountainous.

"The White Death" by Mackay Jenkins is an intereresting account of an avalanche rescue and intesperses good bits of avalanche science with a tragic story.

Despite searching, I've not found any ski based novels, bit if there are any I'd love to know.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Over on the recent Epic thread at
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=17791
among the various suggestions a couple worth mentioning ....

"Right On The Edge Of Crazy" and "Tears in the Snow" .....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd highly recommend- "Into thin air"- an amazing account of the 1996 Everest disaster.you won't be able to put it down.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An oldie but quite good was "The Lonely Skier" by Hammond Innes written in about 1959, from what I recall it was set in Norway or that area
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deep Powder Snow, 40 Years of Ecstatic skiing, Avalanches, and Earth Wisdom by Dolores LaChapelle
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Real Heroes of Telemark - Ray Mears (not sure if there's a paperback version)

Plus a mate of mine recently recommended a few climbing books, can't remember many, but one good one I read some passages from (and now want to buy) was "Feeding the Rat" by erm, can't remember his name. I'm sure it can be found by doing a web or Amazon search.

I did once read a book called "Snow" again, author unremembered. It was a factual book, (American author and book), about, well, snow. Covered lots of aspects of the stuff and I'd love to find a copy of it again - though I think it's out of print (it was quite old when I got it out of bthe library some years ago). It's a bit more difficult to search for, though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I brought with me the 2003-2004 ski buyers guide....it was always in my beachbag...Got really funny looks from people, but, who cares.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arnie Wilson's "Ski The World" is a good read. Sad though, reeaallly unhappy ending...
"My Lead Dog Was A Lesbian" (Brian Patrick O'Donoghue) is a great read about the Iditarod husky sledding race across Alaska.
On a different tack "Eddie Would Go" (Stuart Holmes Coleman) is a really good book about Hawain surfing legend Eddie Aikau).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No books about Eddie the Eagle then?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does such a thing exist? If so, I want one!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well there is this

But the one person reviewing it didn't think much of it.....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As well as "Eddie The Eagle My Story" (Publisher: Chivers Press, Bath, 1989).
- there are a few copies available second-hand on www.abebooks.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin Bell, there are not too many books about skiing and few really good ones. One exception is Konrad Bartelski's book about his career as Britains most successful downhill racer.
Books about mountaineering are usually more gripping.
Three good ones are; The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev (a russian climber who attempted to rescue the stranded climbers featured in John Krackauers book "into thin air").
" Conquistadores of the useless", by Lionel Terray. (both available on paperback).
"My life as a mountaineer" By Anderl Heckmair (might be hard to find ).
And for a nautical flavour with adventure and mountains thrown in you could not do better than "High Mountains Cold Seas", the biography of WH Tilman.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you've not come accross it already the account of the Andes plane crash survivors is an astounding story

Quote:
Friday, October 13, 1972, A Fairchild FH-227 twin turboprop airplane crosses the Andes Mountains carrying 40 passengers and 5 crew. The plane would disappear from the modern world and everyone on board thought to be dead, but 72 days later, 16 would emerge alive and tell their story...

Here's some more info, there may be some links to find out where to buy the book.
ski holidays
Try "Winterdance - the Fine Madness of Alaskan Dog-Racing" by Gary Paulsen, about the Iditarod. Some of it's hilarious and it made me cry at the end.
ski holidays
scream, Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
latest report
Snow Waste just came to my attention, so thought I'd add it to the list.
latest report
Oh, glad you reminded me of this. For those of you who were interested by "Touching The Void", get "Between A Rock And A Hard Place" by Aron Ralston (published by Simon & Schuster) when it's publised in October.

I've not read it yet, but it'll have to be written very badly to take anything away from the story of a man who has to break hack his own arm, then hack it off using a penknife. Shocked
snow report
Skiing "bonkbuster": http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0752804596/qid=1091034153/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_18_1/026-2353450-1254845?tag=amz07b-21
BTW, "Ski the World" and "Tears in the Snow" are one and the same - I believe the publisher asked Arnie to change the title...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy