Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fill out a 15 minutes survey about skiing/boarding and win $50!

Poster: A snowHead
done
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done it. Very good. Please reassure me it is spam proof. We usually have a box to tick that says no selling on of email adresses, or did I miss it?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There will be NO SPAM! We will use your e-mail to notify you in case you will be one of the six lucky people who wins $50 and to send you a quick summary of this study's results.

You e-mails will not be sold or shared with anyone.

Thank you very much for your participation,
Kate.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that.

How are things in Utah? Is the snow as good as legend has it?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's even better than the legend has it Smile I hope they open early this year!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johno,
Quote:

So did everybody rate themselves as an Intermediate skiier?

Advanced of course! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine done too, if selected $50 donation to Graeme to help him find a better deal on ebay Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stop picking on graeme, poor guy! He's had the wrath of all the zookeepers for ages now! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And another one filled out. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yea, there was this one guy who said he was somewhere between intermediate and advanced Smile

just kidding, people are reporting all different levels of ability. I think they are being honest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, Well for at least 4 days rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kate_utah, Welcome , Done... my fifty bucks to :sH; and an extra fifty if we get more responses than the epic mob (sorry foxy) Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yeah, that's what I want to see, some healthy competition Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine's done too....interesting stuff!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Done!
snow report
Thanks guys, I will send the link to the results when the project is done.
I really appreciate everyone's help!
snow report
kate_utah, Did you pick up David B's contribution? He seems to be 23 feet down the corridor Toofy Grin
snow conditions
kate_utah, Welcome to sHs Very Happy

All done, some well considered questions there. I would also love to see the results. snowHead
ski holidays
Done!

That was really interesting too-thanks Kate!
snow conditions
kate_utah, done
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
Mine done too, if selected $50 donation to Graeme to help him find a better deal on ebay Twisted Evil

Laughing Laughing
latest report
Completed

Very thought provoking!!!
snow report
Done! Good questions. Are you preparing a thesis on how attitudes affect safety?
latest report
Just completed this - hope its not too late.
snow report
done.

thought about twice though, as europe and US/Canada are completly different.

It will be interesting to see if this comes out in the results.
latest report
Done from me too. Excellent questions, really made me think.
ski holidays
done
snow report
paulhothersall wrote:
done.

thought about twice though, as europe and US/Canada are completly different.

It will be interesting to see if this comes out in the results.

Same here: particularly with respect to behaviour in lift lines! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was wondering if they'd ever experienced crowded slopes Little Angel The videos we take are really striking - Europeans busy busy busy, Canadian, is it a private piste? Toofy Grin
snow report
done.

Liked the way you had to express a freeform opinion about something before having your mind concentrated by seeing mutiple choice options later.

Felt it would have been useful for a "No experience/Not applicable" column for a few of the questions - I ended up having to invent an opinion about situations I've never encountered or into which I have always avoided getting the first place.

And does a dryslope count as "the hill" Very Happy .
snow report
Great comments Wink You are making me think about my next project.
I appreciate everyone's input.
snow conditions
"Hands across the sea brother " as Rab C Nesbit would say ! Very Happy
ski holidays
I got some questions about whether or not it's too late to fill the survey out. It is not too late, we collected less than 1/2 of the responses we need so far. So, please go ahead and fill it out and tell your friends about it as well.

Thanks!!!
ski holidays
OK done

Some questions are not very well adapted to the European skier. Lots of people unless they are lucky enough to own property don't have a most frequent ski area.

The lift queueing point is interesting - I suspect most Euro skiers would be a little dishonest if they hadn't ever admitted to "crowding" a liftline in some places at certain times if they ever wanted to get back up the hill. Equally it doesn't matter how disciplined the singles line is in Europe, some people will never fill up chairs properly.

I didn't get the the question about what factors influence my view that a run is crowded - surely its just the number of people in a given area of run. I can assess this reasonably accurately visually.

As discussed elsewhere on this forum, lunch in Europe is not really in the control of resort operators & I found it difficult to hold any opinions strongly about it.

Kate - how are you correcting for sample self selection? By most defintions you'll have a significantly skewed bunch of obsessives contributing from ski forums in September wink
snow conditions
done Smile
snow report
Done too Very Happy
latest report
Hi Fatbob,

very interesting comments!

Hopefully, some of the differences you are talking about will come through in the results.

In terms of self-selection, you are absolutely right, forums are primarily populated by the experts. Which is in part great (because people know what they are talking about) and in part bad because it skews the sample. To balance it out,
we are also collecting the field data from the ski resorts and clubs. We actually have two people skiing in New Zeland right now (I'd love to have this research assignment) giving people cards on the lifts and speading flyers in the resort Internet shops and retail outlets.

We are also working with a couple of prominent ski clubs with wide subscriber base (more of a social network environment where the participants range widely in their ability). Hopefully, we'll get a credible story this way,

Thanks for bringing up very relevant points, Kate.
snow report
kate_utah, actually, I think there's quite a wide range of experience/ability on snowHeads. Not fully representative, but we're by no means all 'experts'! It's not what I put, anyway.Laughing

Never mind NZ, get yourself a field trip to the Alps! snowHead
snow conditions
thanks laundryman,

I think with my research account I could barely make it to Snowbird Wink No complaints though.
ski holidays
Many of the questions are not applicable to the European situation, or mean something a little different. For example ropes accross the entry to an off-piste area in Europe don't mean you can't ski there, they mean "at your own risk", which is the normal situation. Ignoring a run with a closed sign is quite different .
Similarly we don't have singles lines (though we should) or special tickets to jump queues.
We don't have the "back country concept. I ski almost entirely off-piste but this may not involve hiking or climbing (though sometimes it does) even if I may end up miles from any piste. Consequently I rarely ski a crowded piste and had trouble thinking what I do.

Are you interested in other areas of questioning? eg Do people wear avalanche transcievers? (all my friends do) and carry a shovel and probe (most of my friends do). Do people take account of the advertised Avalanche risk on that day in the resort? Do they employ a guide to go off-piste or rely on their own knowledge of the area and expertise in avalanche dangers?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy