Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing at new year in france - where's best for snow and good apres ski

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone help?

This will be our 2nd ski trip. I can do green runs and easy blues. Hubby is on reds and 14yr old son on reds, blacks and off piste.

We want to go away for new year as New year is always a downer in the UK. Can anyone suggest somewhere that will meet our needs that will guarantee a lively evening atmoshere and is within driving distance.

Have previously skiied in Samoens and morrillon.

Thanks evrybody
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hairygerbil, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . I think anywhere's likely to be fairly lively over New Year. From personal experience, I'll suggest Val Thorens but it's not exactly the prettiest place in the Alps. It'll fit the bill skiing wise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hairygerbil, as Alastair said, everywhere is going to have a great atmosphere at New Year, with lots of apres-ski, fireworks on New Year's Eve, etc. Although it's no guarantee of good snow, choosing a high altitude resort should help with ensuring good availability of skiing in case the weather is a bit unseasonably warm. I also like to have the option of tree-lined pistes in case the weather closes in, in which case you can find a bit of shelter from the wind and poor visibility.

I've skied in Courchevel, Les Arcs and Val d'Isere over New Year and have enjoyed all of them immensely. All these resorts are a fairly easy drive from Kent, although just a little bit further from Calais than the Grand Massif resorts you've skied in. All of them also offer a great range of skking suitable for your family, although I don't think that Val d'Isere is very well suited to people who have skied for two or three weeks because of the difficulty of skiing back to the village.

PS - Welcome to snowHeads!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-09-06 21:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hairygerbil, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll add my welcome too hairygerbil (nice name!).

And chuck Flaine, Avoriaz and Tignes to the list.

Ultimately, I think it's a case of looking at all of them and seeing what'll offer you the best deal. Tignes and Val Thorens are probably the most snow-sure, but you'd have to be pretty unlucky not to get good snow at the others.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hairygerbil, Where did you dream up a name like that?

If you are going for New Year I suggest that you are looking for a festive atmostsphere, in which case I would suggest Austria for the "gemutlichkeit". For safety you might want top stay high and therefore I would suggest Ischgl, smart and more expensive but a great resort. St. Anton might be wasted on you early in your skiing career, but a consideration in in a couple of years. Solden is relatively snow sure with its glacier but a bit tacky now. Obergurgl could well suit as is the highest parish in Austria, and absolutely snow sure.

Moving further east where it is usually much colder you might look at the Ski Welt (Soll. Ellmau, Scheffau) - miles of easy ski-ing or Saalbach/Hinterglemm also with its renowned ski circus.

For research suggest you "google" these resorts, have a look at the ski maps and prices. There is so much to choose from out there. Hope my suggestions are of use and welcome to SNOWHEADS!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm amazed nobody's recommended La Rosiere yet Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go to La Rosiere Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hairygerbil, welcome to snowHeads. The recommendations to La rosiere are an "in joke" as a particular chalet-owner there mentions it to everyone that joins.

I would second the suggestion for Austria, recent history has shown that austria has had the best early season snow and the Austrian resorts are well know for the apres ski atmosphere. I don't know whether it is any further to drive to Austria though. I would also second the option of Soll and the other resorts in the skiwelt. Schladming may be another good option for you all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hairygerbil, I'd say Alpe D'Huez would meet you requirements for a French resort catering for such a wide range of abilities. It's a large resort which you might think of as shaped like the top surface of a saucer. In the centre are the gentle slopes for beginners. As you progress toward the "rim" the steeper it gets. The range of runs ranges from gentle to truly hairy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would think Austria is a bit far for a self-drive although they have had the best of the early season snow in the last few years.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. the two that i had already earmarked were Val thorens and Corcheval - anyone got any preference over the two or are they equally as good?I'll take a look at Alpe D'Huez in the brochures I have.My son went to St Anton on his first ski trip and Austria is somewhere to consider if I can step it up a bit, well a lot!Have only put parallel skiing into action on a couple of occasions!Sometimes like to ski sideways - much to my friends amusement on the marvel run in Morrillon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Courchevel far more aesthetically pleasing than VT, which is high, has good snow but no trees. A bit like being on the moon. It also seems to be foggy whenever I'm there but I'm sure this isn't representative. Both have fab skiing and will be groomed to perfection for the new year week whcih is a major holiday week. I've never stayed in VT so not sure about costs but I imagine everything will be more reasonable than 1850. Courchevel resorts cheaper as you move away from 1850, which is convenient but somewhat eurotrash. 1650 family orientated, 1550 always seems as though it attaracts groups (?) and le praz definitely on the family front. La Tania is well linked to the skiing and has some really nice new chalets (the original, Olympic village type accommodation doesn't inspire).
We frequently drive to Courchevel - 8 hours from Calais, very easy drive. VT will be similar distance but I've not done it. Will be dropping child off in les Menuires this Christmas but may be a tad too late to report back.
PM if you'd like further info.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 22-09-06 18:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hairygerbil, Val D'isere/Tignes get my vote. The whole of Espace Killy is available to you and there's plenty of Apres. Was there last year Dec 19th - 26th and we will be again this year! If the snow is good there's plenty of easy access off-piste (really 'between piste) to keep the boys entertained, but also some nice blues for the less adventurous (like Mrs Axs). Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hairygerbil, if you weren't on a very tight budget, I'd say Courchevel is a better option. Lots of good skiing for all of your family, and several really good ski schools (New Generation or Ski Supreme, for example). Val Thorens can be a bit bleak at that time of year if the weather is poor.
snow conditions
Do I stand any chance of being able to book accomodation and what's the cheapest way to go about a week's skiing.Will any places offer less than 7 nights stay or is this impossible at new year?
ski holidays
hairygerbil, I'm not as experienced as most here .. but I do live in France.

Because of 'cost' we spent last year in Suisse but the year before in Isola over New Year ... the Sud ( Isola) parties big time so I would chose any of the Southern Alpine resorts ( assuming snow rolling eyes )
ski holidays
hairygerbil wrote:
Do I stand any chance of being able to book accomodation and what's the cheapest way to go about a week's skiing.Will any places offer less than 7 nights stay or is this impossible at new year?

New Year is a busy time across the Alps, so I wouldn't delay booking accommodation for very long. Most places will offer seven night-only bookings in the larger resorts in France.
snow conditions
hairygerbil, Hotel Mercure in Val D, is comfortable and friendly, very near the lifts and bars, has an excellent menu and takes bookings of less than 7 days, and from any day of the week (we went Tuesday to Tuesday). As rob@rar.org.uk suggested, better move fast for the New year week though. Can't remember costs but wasn't extortionate!
snow report
AxsMan wrote:
Val D'isere/Tignes get my vote.

I have a different view on the suitability of Val d'Isere for people with just a couple of weeks skiing under their belt. If skiing back to to the resort is important to you (rather than talking a lift back down), most of the runs back to Val d'Isere itself are relatively steep. Even the so-called green piste (Verte) down to La Daille is steep enough to get a bit icy and have small moguls on it! Undoubtedly there's lots of easy terrain around Val d'Isere, but just about all of this is situated at altitude with no easy way to ski back to the resort for lunch or at the end of the day.
snow report
Thanks again guys. Will check out the Hotel Mercure. Don't think my skiing ability will be up to Val D'isere. Will have a butchers at Tignes though
ski holidays
Anyone know of any Hotels / accomodation in Val Th / Courcheval which aren't extortionate?
ski holidays
hairygerbil, What rob@rar.org.uk, says may be true (I'm not sure, Mrs Axs and I are not experts and did ride the lift back once or twice, no big problem). We stayed in Val but skied mostly over on the Tignes side at Val Claret (the snow was better). Getting over there was easy and enjoyable on blues and greens that were not too demanding. We are going to Tignes this year. A lot depends on the snow. (as ever). Smile
snow conditions
hairygerbil,
I wouldn't get too hung up about small apparent differences in terrain, pretty much every major ski resort will be able to accomodate your abilities, some may be marginally better than others. Val d'I actually has some excellent gentle terrain higher up but the slopes back are not easy as pointed out elsewhere. Off more importance are the snow conditions which you cannot predict now anyway. I would get onto the tourist offices of several different resorts email them with your requirements and see what offers you get. You may not be able to get the style of accomodation you want at a price you want everywhere anyway as New Year can book up quickly as I have foud out previously. If you get offers from several different resorts then you can choose between them . snowHead
ski holidays
hairygerbil wrote:
Anyone know of any Hotels / accomodation in Val Th / Courcheval which aren't extortionate?

I've stayed with SkiWorld in their 'chalet hotel' Catina before. It's in a great location in Courchevel 1850, and is relatively cheap and mostly cheerful. The food isn't great, the decor is very tired but it is reasonably priced way to stay in the centre of C1850.

The Hotel Courcheneige is in a perfect postion for skiing, has good food in very pleasant surroundings for a reasonable price. The only drawvback is that it is quite some distance from the centre of the resort (although there is a free intra-resort shuttle which is quite convenient).

The Hotel Dahu is also reasonably priced considering its location and facilities.
snow report
Good suggestion. I am becoming more confused as I go along - have just been looking at chamonix, which is showing more green runs than Courcheval. What's the opinions on Chamonix? Also the skiing back down to the village bit applies more to hubby and son, which they will both be able to manage. When we were in Samoens/ Morillon I always cabled it back.I suppose what Im really after is a resort which will offer me maximum green and easy blues for me. I felt very constrained in Samoens/ Morillon as there weren't a lot on offer and I didn't get to see much of the montains. I just had to keep repeated the 4 or 5 runs I could do. Suppose 2nd time round I would be able to manage more as confidence grows
ski holidays
hairygerbil,
I've never skied Chamonix, by reputation though I think it may be an exception to what I wrote earlier. It is not meant to be very good for early intermediates.
ski holidays
hairygerbil, I think that Courchevel is a really good choice for you. There are a wide range of gentle runs directly above C1850 and C1650, and it's easy to ski from one area to another. With a bit of careful route planning it's also possible to ski into Meribel and even Val Thorens if you fancy a day travelling further afield. I'd also recommend that you take some ski instruction which is perhaps even more important than availability of suitable terrain. Courchevel offers two really good British ski schools.

Although I've not skied Chamonix, I don't think it's strength is in offering lots of terrain, easily accessed, for third-week skiers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hairygerbil, I agree with rob@rar.org.uk, having skied in both places. Chamonix is broken up into small-ish areas, some of which don't offer a lot of scope for beginners / early intermediates.
snow report
hairygerbil, can I jump in here, and suggest La Plagne. We went there for our third weeks skiing, and pretty much skied most of the area at that time. The runs are gentle (have even been described as flat by others on here), but there are steeper ones for those that want it. Belle Plagne is OK to look at too, unlike some of the other villages, or you could stay in one of the lower villages. Our second week was in Flaine.
ski holidays
hairygerbil, Hi again. Stick with Courchevel. C-1850 is the best. C-1650 is a good second choice and cheaper. C-1550 is lower and cheaper. If your budget is stretched you could think about a chalet holiday where prices across all resorts fluctuate less.

As I previously suggested and was backed up by Rob, you will have a super time at the Hotel Courcheneige which is good value for Courchevel.

VT can be a bit cold at Xmas or New Year in my opinion and it is a bit a soul-less.
ski holidays
hairygerbil, friends have stayed with, and raved about, Tangerine Ski in Le Praz. Superb food and wine and good access up to 1850 I'm told - though I've not stayed myself.

I'm not good on the layout of Courchevel, so I'd appreciate other people's comments on location.
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
I'm not good on the layout of Courchevel, so I'd appreciate other people's comments on location.

Le Praz is a lovely, traditional village at the bottom of the Courchevel ski domain. It's an easy, flat walk to the gondola station from most of the accommodation in Le Praz, where one lift takes you up to near the centre of C1850, and another heads towards Meribel (three lifts from Le Praz and you're in Meribel). Pistes back down to Le Praz are quite steep; a couple of reds and a couple of great blacks. All are wonderful if the snow is good down to 1300m. Many people ride the gondola back down to the village from 1850. Apres ski in Le Praz is nice, but understated compared to 1650 or 1850. It's a wonderful place to stay Smile
snow report
Thanks rob@rar.org.uk - much appreciated for future reference.
snow report
Sounds like Courcheval is for me.I'll start investigating if there is any affordable avilability anywhere. Cheers everybody
snow report
hairygerbil, Stay away from 1850 and it'll be much more reasonable. Villages go all the way down to 1350 (La Praz?) and get cheaper as they do, but New year is high, high season - be warned. Shock
snow report
i CAN SEE IT'S GOING TO MEGA BUCKS FOR A WEEKS STAY.cHECKD OUT http://www.courcheneige.com/ WHICH LOOKS FAB BUT MEGA EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO WHAT I AM USED TO PAYING I.E. LE gAYE Soleil in Samoens
snow report
hairygerbil, I think that a couple of the big UK tour operators also use the Courcheneige (we booked via Crystal, I think, then drove out) so you might be able to get cheaper prices than the hotel's rack rate. I think that a nice catered chalet in C1850 or C1650 will offer you better value for money than a traditional hotel.
snow report
hairygerbil, if you don't come up with anything, have a look at this. Champagny en Vanoise. A quiet village,linked to La Plagne, but all the bars were quite busy on an evening, and the hotel had a fantastic New Year celebration, loads of fun, fireworks inthe village.You can also have a day in Courchevel if you fancy it too, and suss it out for another time. The only downside was we ahd to get the gondola back down each day, as the snow cover wasn't brilliant. http://www.hotel-ancolie.com/ . The food was gorgeous too.
latest report
Apre-ski in France.... LaughingLaughingLaughing even over the new year IME
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy