Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort over New Year accessible from Stuttgart

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there folks!

Can you help me with your suggestions please - as always all contributions are gratefully received!

I've booked flights for 5 of my extended family (wife and inlaws!) over the New Year break to Stuttgart - we're hiring a car and will point it towards Switzerland or Austria - not sure of the resort yet

Scenario is wife and I are regular skiers (not too good, not too bad), sister and brother in law are beginners and boyfriend of s-i-l is a second-weeker

We're looking for somewhere with good snow record at that time of year (high and east seems to be a good combination), a village with some atmosphere (but we're not looking necessarily for wayout nightlife - otherwise Andorra would have been on the cards) and slopes that will be suited more especially for our 3 beginners

Can anyone give suggestions (and idea of what the road from Stuttgart is like....)

Thanks folks ... am so happy to be thinking about a skiing holiday again Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Funny you should mention Stuttgart: I have friends there and was looking at combining a trip to see them with some snow. I think the closest ski areas are due south in the Black Forest area. They are mostly small & low tho. Not sure how much skiing would be had over New Year.

Heading south-east will take you to Bavaria and the austrian border where there are plenty of ski areas. The Austrians are generally pretty good with snow-making etc so there should be plenty of choice. It is not likely to be quiet anywhere at that time of year tho.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the ice perv, i was pleasantly surprised when i put Stuttgart airport into www.mappy.com to see how many resorts would be within 2.5/3 hours - and there are loads - so it's just question of finding which one

we're flying Hapag Lloyd from Dublin (www.hlx.com) - these guys seem to have a good range of flights from the UK (only the one from ROI) and they are competitive on price (and they don't charge for luggage etc.!!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
doogo, the stuttgarters often head in the direction of Oberstdorf / Kleinwalsertal, which has a sizeable ski area largely ignored by Brit tour ops. They also head further into Vorarlberg (Austria) around Bregenzerwald or Schruns-Tschaguns.
If you are looking for something close but good then try Oberstdorf.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Lawrie, thanks for that - hadn't looked at oberstdorf - looks nice - have you been there? my only concern would be that it looks a little on the low side - so is snow reliability an issue?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
doogo, I have been there a few times. Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal are known as 'snow holes' and there is rarely any problem with snow. In Oberstdorf itself you have direct access to the Nebelhorn, which is a relatively small area, but with some fearsome bumps, or you can get the ski bus to the Fellhorn, which is the main ski area (Fellhorn & Kanzelwand covering Germany and Austria). If you live in Riezlern in Kleinwalsertal then you have direct access to the Kanzelwand so that may be the better choice if you don't want to use ski busses. Oberstdorf is bigger and has better choice of restaurants and nightlife if that's what you're after.
Fellhorn & Kanzelwand is good for beginners - intermediates, but also has some classic off piste variants which is what attracts me to the place ( plus my wife comes from Kleinwalsertal Blush )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy