Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prams in the snow advice

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Brookes, fab! Does she look like her dad?!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We found a 3-wheeler works well on firm-ish snow (i.e. snow you won't sink into more than an inch yourself), but on fresh snow such as paths which haven't yet been ploughed it did get bogged down after a quite short distance. It's important the front wheel can be locked straight: that way you can push through deeper bits and not get deflected.

But I'd agree with other that a backpack is the most versatile and will get you anywhere around a resort - or if it's only short distances on dad's shoulders seem popular!

For toddlers, leave the buggies at hope and borrow a sledge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A baby and a hot tub, over indulged young whippersnappers!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, well thats me told then! grumps off over the mountain! Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we never used a pushchair/pram - backpack or walk ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have had kids, ours and others, travelling with us for many years. Invariably most resorts are very good at snow clearing so we have had little trouble using a push chair and it has always proved invaluable at aiprorts. That said we ditched the all singing all dancing 3 wheeler for a GBP20 push chair that we wouldn't worry about if we lost/broke it and was very light. If there is too much snow at 12 months+ they can sit on a sledge and be pulled along without difficulty or carried for short periods.

Back pack worked fine when there was no snow/ice in March I'd be uncomfortable using it in snow and ice for obvious slippage reasons. if the little one is in your arms then if you fall you can protect them which is not so easy carrying a back pack.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I note the original post mentioned 'three-wheeler' buggy. These used to be quite trendy at one time, but are common as anything now. A couple of my brothers kids were born in Canada and the locals had never seen buggies with transparent plastic covers. They regarded these as quite exotic, rather than a run of the mill Mothercare item.

Skiing attachments for UK buggy use could have some cachet in a go-faster stripe kind of way.

Personally I take my hat off to pikies and posh people for sticking with those huge, old-fashioned Silver Cross jobs.

A gypsy would have no bother in a ski resort. The mother, who would be about fourteen, would be pushing the pram over all terrain dressed in stilettos and the shortest miniskirt you could imagine. All her other kids would be dressed up to the nines with no particular attention given to the prevailing weather conditions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
many of the intersport shops rent Mountain Buggy 3 wheelers by the day to tourists in France. They are solidly built with wideish tyres but hardly "Hummers" so your three wheeler should cope ok, most resorts keep the sidewalks fairly free but inevitably there will be places you can't go with a buggy and I reckon a baby carrier would be handy to have. If you buy or rent a sled then get one with straps on to hold your child in (not many of the rental ones have these), you can sometimes fit your own reins or straps from high chairs (The Ikea ones are perfect but you will need holes in the sled to thread them through) . Our children spent half the time trying to escape the sledge and roll in the snow, fun but tedious after a bit
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Latchigo, the SUVs of the push chair world?

I hope you are wearing your helmet for the incoming flak... wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bryan, Both of our childrens births were planned around the ski season, it's their birthdays this and next weekend, both skied as soon as they could support their own body weight Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whilst I was in Samoens I saw a someone pushing a baby in a pram which had runners rather than wheels - now that's what I call cool - a pram on skis - I need to get me an outlet in Chamonix and Covent Garden and I'll be loaded - maybe you'll see me on Dragon's Den. Would you buy one Chris???

I can't find a picture of it but here's a drawing:

Oh, how do I insert a picture?? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Freestyle, to insert a picture you need to do:

Code:

[img]http://www.someplace.com/apicture.jpg[/img]

You can, optionally adjust the size of the image with height and width parameters (but I can't remeber which way around they go Embarassed

Code:

[img=width,height]http://www.someplace.com/apicture.jpg[/img]
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin,

Quote:

Both of our childrens births were planned around the ski season

how do you sleep at night ? Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sleep who needs sleep Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
Both of our childrens births were planned around the ski season .. skied as soon as they could support their own body weight

That late?

http://www.photobox.co.uk/shared/photo.html?c_photo=78045749
ski holidays
RobW, Ahhhhhhhhhhh its like Willy Wonka's oompa loompas skiing in sherbert dip ! Madeye-Smiley

I think you should use one of these and tow the pram/buggy behind Twisted Evil
snow report
Hoppo,

Thanks - will try it. BTW - have you ever been skiing in Verbier?
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, nice picture. Regarding prams, where are you staying and who with. Most nurseries/creches/nanny services will already have prams etc out there. We found they generally didn't mind if they were borrowed when not in use - worth a call/email to check first though. Saves lugging your own out there. All terrain type 3-wheelers are generally fine anywhere you can walk in ski resort. We had twins in one!

Bryan, I think you are talking nonsense. Why is taking kids skiing any worse than going to the beach, where they aren't old enough to understand why they must have sun cream and a hat on. Would you call this a selfish urge by parents to go to the beach? Skiing can very much be a family holiday and our kids enjoyed the snow, went from 3 months, enjoyed touching it, eating it. As they got older they enjoyed playing outside and starting to ski.
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, I've only skim-read the post so it may have been suggested already but look-up Wilkinet, it's a type of carrier that is useable up to quite an old age, is small, flexible and enables front, side and back carrying. Alternatively a sling would do the same. These have the advantage of being easy to pack/carry and light, they hold the baby against you meaning that they will be warmer (good in these situations), and they can often be adapted to neing a harness (walking reins or securing in a chair etc..). Obviously not everyone gets on with them, but worth a look in case you do.
ski holidays
skanky, agreed - they are absolutely brilliant, just need to learn to tie the knots...
snow report
Chris, I'm sure the ski shops in our village have suitable baby transport for hire. I can't be certain, but I may be able to find out for you. If they do I'm sure wherever you are going wil l too.
latest report
Chris Brookes, has anyone mentioned a baby luge?? we saw one in morillon & I am too technically feeble to upload my pic, so I'll have a go at a website link;

http://www.sledges.co.uk/acatalog/Baby_Sledges.html
latest report
What a lovely little girl you have there. People here seem to use buggies/prams ok but also use those wooden traditional sledges with a seat back. At 13 months , well wrapped up , she'd be fine. Take a little spade and bucket if you have space, she'll have a great time.

Deb
ski holidays
Took my daughter every year since she was 9 months. First year to Grindelvald had a sledge with a box and push handles on, it took turns pushing it round the mountain one parent in the morning the other after noon . All met up for lunch using the lifts and trains sunglasses and keeping warm are very important childeren like to play in the snow for short periods especially with a friend. the sking may not be the same as when you are childless and it is hard work for 3 or 4 years but it wont be long befor you are the one being left behind!
P.S A cheap folding pushchair for airports.transfers and no snow in Resorts is a must.
snow conditions
ok NEVER bother with a bog standard 4 wheel cheepo buggy, if you get caught in propper snow you will not be moving anywhere!

yes a carrier is ok, but you stand t he risk of falling on your baby if you fall!

i have been taking my daughter to the snow since she was 3 months old (save any comments for your self if you dont approve i will never put my enjoyment after my kids i work bloody hard with them and deserve a holiday, for me that is snow related)

I have always used our 3 wheel mountain buggy and would never consider using anythigng other than a 3 wheeler in snow.

my friend who lives here in serre che had a baby lst oce. she bough a 4 wheel bog standard buggy, with in 2 weeks of the snow falling she had changed for a 3 wheeler.

nough said.
latest report
I've seen a couple of people with a wooden toboggan, but higher from the ground than normal, and on chunky wheels, with a long handle. A cart I suppose rather than a toboggan. Embarassed
ski holidays
Some great advice, thankyou all and yet i still cant decide..lol
latest report
Ooooh, I couldnt resist - 'you're an old fashioned grouch if you like!' NehNeh

We are expecting our first in January and are trying to work out if it will put the kybosh on this season. Trying to stick to the thread I have heard in my enquiries that slings on the front are better because you can keep an eye on trouble and make sure he/she is warm enough ( much like the innuit mentioned above ).

As far as buggies go - we havent got that far yet but I think sledges are much more FUN!
(Yes I know I'll have to be more sensible when it arrives... but until then!)

Andanotherthing.. If its so selfish to take a kid into the mountains is it not also selfish to take them to the med in summer (sunscreen/sunglasses comment applies) rolling eyes . I'll stop before I rant!! Sorry - thread creep!

Mouth - I'm jealous!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pielot, book yourself an Easter trip,ski if you can, enjoy the relaxation and time together if you can't.
ski holidays
snowangel. wrote:
save any comments for your self if you dont approve i will never put my enjoyment after my kids i work bloody hard with them and deserve a holiday, for me that is snow related)

Well said.
latest report
Chris, I think you need to get the huskies involved in this baby transport lark.
snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy