Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prams in the snow advice

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone let me know if its necessary to have ski attachments on the wheels of our buggy when we go skiing this season.We have a 3 wheeler buggy and i should imagine it would be fine on the flattened areas of the snow but when we walk through areas that havent been flattened would this be an issue as we do walk alot due to having our dogs on holiday?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't say I've ever seen baby buggies, prams etc.. with ski attachments. I imagine that as long as you have decent grip on your shoes then it wouldn't be too bad.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Brookes, I wouldn't have thought it would be a very good idea, what happened if you let go? Worlds fastest baby?

Can you upgrade to fat tyres? Or reduce the pressure in existing tyres? (Increasing surface area)

Alternative transport solutions? Baby carrying backpack / front harness perhaps? Or a sledge that you can drag?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor wrote:
Chris Brookes, I wouldn't have thought it would be a very good idea, what happened if you let go? Worlds fastest baby?

I think this is why wheels would be a bad idea on hard surfaces wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would have thought tha the difficulty is pushing the buggy through heavier or deeper none flattened snow. depending on age and size backpack as Parlor suggests. Reducing pressure in tyres will just make it harder to push.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sledge? Snowboard?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Babies slide quite well when waxed.

Joking apart, I'd say it all depends on the hardness of the snow. Well compacted snow can support car wheels or buggy wheels, but the steering and traction might be annoying. Children in backpacks are notoriously vulnerable to exposure in low temperatures. Maybe a kid's car seat strapped to a sled might work, if there's consistent snow cover.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NO - you really will be okay with a normal buggy - done it loads.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Done it with small 4 wheel buggies. Just be sure you can lift it with sprog in it... Some of these modern "off-road" buggies are pretty heavy. A lot to be said for taking the lightest smallest you can. Invariably you get stuck crossing a road and then there is a damn great step/heap of snow at the other side. Agree with halfhand re footwear.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might be worth getting some sort of safety leash that connects between you and the pram - helps prevent the pram sliding off and could prove useful when tackling obstacles.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Brookes, As others have said, we used a normal lightweight 4-wheel buggy and could lift it with the baby (18 months at the time) over deeper snow. The 3 wheel buggy we had, whilst we never used it in snow, did have a safety strap on the handlebar, perhaps because it could just run away. It was also VERY heavy and hard to move around obstacles (like deep snow!). If you DO use a normal buggy be sure to take a good cosytoes type thing and make sure the baby has sunscreen and a hat - dependent on age maybe even sunglasses! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get a back carrier for the baby(that is if baby isnt already to big for one), thats what we used last December.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, babies conveniently cushion your fall!

Agree with Anniepen about the cosytoes - you can make one yourslef very easily with a metre of fleece and someone who can do the sewing for you...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, Ski attachments would probably help on the blues and greens. Probably not needed on the steeper reds or blacks though. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Used a 3 wheel buggy for a couple of years and it seems to be OK. Most areas you want to push a nipper seem to be flattened. You're not allowed to take 8-week-old babies up to 3800m, I found. Apparently it's because they can't tell you they're cold and this causes associated troubles. The liftie looked at me as though I was mad, but once I'd explained it was to leave micro-falliner out on a mountainside for a night to make sure they qualified as a guide they were fine.
ski holidays
Ella will be 13 months when we go in February and we have already got the safety strap,cosytoes,hat and sunglasses etc.Our problem is the 3 wheeler is heavy and i can imagine its a right pain in deep snow (eg on walking paths that havent been flattened yet after a good dumping of snow) so i wondered if anyone had brought skis for a buggy but maybe its not required.If we get stuck we can always hook our huskies onto the buggy Laughing
snow report
We found pushing a 3 wheeled buggy really tiring in the snow, it was easier to drag it rather than push it through the deep stuff. We did hire a sledge though that had a long handle that enabled you to push it like a buggy, rather than a rope to pull, and this worked really well - imagine a flymo with a seat for the child and you get the idea!!!
snow conditions
Sarah L, thats why i thought having pram skis attached to the wheels it would make it alot more easier to move but maybe a sledge would be a better option ??
latest report
Call me an old fashioned grouch if you like.

Surely you would be much better off controlling your selfish urges to go on a winter holiday until your babies are old enough to walk/ski for themselves and understand why they have to wear eye protection etc.

Either that or leave them behind with granny or a nanny.

I guess it is another symptom of todays Must Have and Must do attitudes.......be patient enjoy your childrens infancy and young childhood for what it brings, even if it is learning some self restraint!
snow conditions
Bryan, you are an old fashioned grouch.
snow conditions
Bryan, Yes you are
ski holidays
Bryan, you are an old-fashioned grouch. A fair point, mind. We found that we got about 2 days out of 10 skiing with a very wee nipper despite bringing grandparents. But we're going for it again because... well, because we forgot what a pain it was last time. But now I've remembered. You've ruined everything!
ski holidays
Nerve hit?
latest report
Easy Bryan, you old fashioned grouch.
snow report
I cannot speak from experience as our first is due in December. As we have a home in alps the intention is to spend as much of my maternity leave there as possible. Can't think of a better place to be. Life does go on and that includes ski trips Toofy Grin
snow report
Mouth, You are very lucky and I am very jealous. wink Enjoy! Very Happy
snow conditions
Bryan, surely if someone asks a question you could either answer it or ignore it ? Why the urge to open another can of worms ?
snow report
masmith, Curiosity about members social attitudes......What is so wrong with that?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bryan, just seems that everytime a subject is raised concerning young children on ski holidays comments like yours come into the conversation which IMHO detracts from the subject matter. If Chris Brookes wanted advice or comments on whether or not to take the nippers then maybe (s)he would have asked ?
snow conditions
Why not do what the Inuit do? Use a sledge with pleanty of insulation or wrap baby inside parents clothing...works for them!
snow conditions
Bryan, snowHead
ski holidays
masmith wrote:
Bryan, just seems that everytime a subject is raised concerning young children on ski holidays comments like yours come into the conversation which IMHO detracts from the subject matter. If Chris Brookes wanted advice or comments on whether or not to take the nippers then maybe (s)he would have asked ?

If it (the subject of infants on the slopes) keeps coming up, then just perhaps there is an issue to address......after all you have to ask why have children at all, if all you want to do involves self(ish) gratification? applies to many other activities.........and life style choices....
latest report
Bryan wrote:
.....after all you have to ask why have children at all, if all you want to do involves self(ish) gratification? ....

So that when they are old enough you can sell them to pay for your ski apartment Toofy Grin (or keep them around as an investment for your old age) Toofy Grin Toofy Grin .

Mwuhahahahaha....... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Bryan, Actually the subject of infants on slopes does not keep coming up. People who post here have in the majority made the decision to take their children skiing.... one of their choices. Generally they are asking for advice on the practicalities not the "should I or shouldn't I take".

I cannot see anything selfish about taking a child whatever age skiing. Spending quality family time is what it is all about for many parents and introducing their children to a healthy lifestyle along the way.
latest report
Quote:

If it (the subject of infants on the slopes) keeps coming up, then just perhaps there is an issue to address......

ah but ... the issue to address here is one of prams in snow, not the morality of kids on holiday etc. Why can't we just stick to the issue ? Beats me. Feel free to start new topic.

Chris Brookes, we always managed fine with prams, more often than not the roads/paths were cleared, but in some cases carrying or pulling the pram backwards was the only option. Always used to take a back pack in case the snow was bad but never had to use it in anger, instead on the one time the snow was bad (or good if in skiing mode) we rented a sledge, worked a treat.
snow report
Bryan, One week's ski holiday out of 52 weeks of often hard, tiring work managing all aspects of life, including parenting, does not constitute a parent simply seeking to indulge "selfish gratification". To ask why a person would choose to "have children at all" is impertinent. If you would not choose to take young children on holiday, then that is your choice - others can make THEIR choices and when simply asking advice on which pram would be best suited to the activity, shouldn't have their motivation as a parent questioned.
snow report
Plus, for the most annoying little nippers, many glaciers have crevasses Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Mouth, I could not agree more with your attitude!
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, I'll bet you're sorry you asked! Go on holiday, have a wonderful time and when Ella is playing in the snow and enjoying being with you in a relaxed and happy holiday mood, count your blessings! You've earned it Very Happy
snow report
Bryan, you are an old-fashioned grouch but everybody is entitled to their own opinion

We spend all day every day doing everything for Ella which we both love and want to do however every parent deserve some 'me' time and we take skiing as our time.

Mouth, very lucky wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 21-09-06 14:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy