Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel - Opinions Please!

Poster: A snowHead
Further to my post yesterday, just curious to get views on the above, I've heard all the usual stuff about the place i.e. its cheap, unpretentious and a bit run down etc!......have never been to any of the three valley resorts so was considering it this year, may be swayed by expert views of the snowheads!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great skiing, huge and varied piste network, some very good (but expensive) ski schools, lift pass not good value for money if you'll only ski a small fraction of the domain, eating and nightlife can be very expensive although you don't have to spend a fortune if you choose the cheaper places to eat and drink. My favourite resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The skiing is great. It is made up of several seperate villages: (very) generally the lower the village, the cheaper, and the worse the nightlife.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Courchevel has some of the best skiing in the 3 valleys. If you don't want to pay the prices of 1850 it is worth investigating 1650 and 1550 which still both give you really good access to the slopes. Have stayed in 1650 before and there are a couple of lively bars worthy of a night out!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with Rob. I'e been 3 times twice 1850 and once 1550. 1850 most convenient/ expensive. I don't think I spent any more money there than say Alpe d'huez. All ski resorts are generally expensive. There is the opportunity to spend a great deal of money if you can afford to. Its a grat place to ski for all levels of skier. I'd sooner stay in Courchevel than other areas of 3 Valleys. There is some scope for skiing in the trees in bad weather conditions that doesn't exist in Val Thorens-great skiing there too. The Meribel skiing I'm less fussed on, although there are good runs there to (Mt Vallons although there are always queues). I could be tempted to stay in St Martin de Bellville also. I stayed there last March and had fantastic conditions-two weeks of snow and sunshine from the day after we got there Very Happy Very Happy I'm always that lucky wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fab place. Great skiing. Yes expensive to eat and drink in 1850 and on mountain. Good pistes for all levels. Great access to 3 valleys. I'd go tomorrow...... Highly recommend. Has to be done at least once...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glengooly-Guy, it very much depends on what you're looking for. IMHO, Courchevel 1850 is a great place to stay for a week - convenient access to skiing and some very nice restaurants. The only place I definitely wouln't go back to in the 3Vs is Meribel/Mottaret - too much of a rat run between the other two valleys. I'd generally pick Courchevel for skiing and eating, VT for snow (particularly at the beginning or end of season), and Les Menuires for economy. St Martin looks nice but is smaller. I've done two seasons in VT so it's naturally a bit of a favourite for me but would have been happy to go to Courchevel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If nightlife is your bag the ignore Reberty, if not then it has some excellent chalets and accomodation and doorstep skiing, The skiing in the Belleville Valley is fantastic.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not a good choice unless you can use miles and miles of superbly linked skiing of all types. If you like the idea of hundreds of km of superb piste then it is the best and priced accordingly. Can't wait to get back there in February.

Frosty the Snowman's, point is very valid. If you get around at reasonable speed then it doesn't matter much, from the skiing point of view, where you are in the 3V. If night-life is important to you then that is another story.

I love the 3V.

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a big fan. always stay at La Tania as it is cheaper, smaller and gives very good access into Courcheval or to Merible and Val T.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pros – well managed and reliable snow; extensive slopes; trees; possible to budget more reasonably than commonly held perception; Supreme ski school; convenience; well-linked areas; masses going on (ski-wise)
Cons – eurotrash atmosphere of 1850, impersonal, stratospheric costs if you don’t watch out; limited appeal to non-skiers; could be anywhere – no real ‘French’ feeling.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have stayed at the Hotel Courcheneige on the Bellecote piste several times. Great hotel which was run by the Heully family, but I now believe it has been sold to new owners - any reports please? Particulary like the the ski-ing above C-1650. I would recommend that you search out "Le Chapelet" red run right on the eastern border of the ski area. I agree with previous comments in that Meribel is not even close to Courchevel for the ski-ing.
In spite of the hideous architecture of Les Menuires (only the French could build a place like this in the mountains), I reckon the ski-ing here is particularly good on the "Fasse" area - good black runs quite challenging but not that difficult for the moderate intermediate.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I liked Courchevel. When we went a couple of years ago, it was our first foray into the unknown without ski school. We skied over to Val Thorens and back, a little bit of Meribel in the middle. We also skied down to St.Martin. I thought the skiing in Courchevel was the best of the 3V - better snow than Meribel. I particularly liked the skiing above 1650 as well. My favourite run was Les Creux .We stayed in Le Carlina, on the home run. Very convenient. A guy carried my skis out every morning and all I had to do was step into them! However, the food wasn't great and I felt it was overpriced. I'd really like to stay at the very top of 1850 or in Le Praz.
We had a private lesson and then a 2 day clinic with New Generation - really good. The ski instructor gave us a good tip. You give your 'stance' a number on a scale 1 to 5, 1 being your tallest stance and 5 being your 'lowest'. We did different runs/turnsetc. and had to tell him what our stance numbers were and he told us what they should be. I'm bad at explaining, but the technique was something that helped.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glengooly-Guy,
I'm not a massive fan of purpose built and haven't been for a while. Having said that the skiing is great for pretty much every level of skier with a very good variety of slope and you certainly have to try it some time. Personally I would avoid high season if at all possible as it can get pretty crowded. (I am sure someone will contradict me by saying not if you know it wink ) But if it's your first time you won't.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Courchevel is very nice - my favourite French resort

I'd echo earlier comments about 1650, it's a good place for both moderate nightlife and excellent direct access to the snow without being as expensive as 1850.
Skiing above 1650 is really quite good and normally reasonably quiet (compared to, say, Meribel).

The only difficulty that I see is the "rat run" feel of Meribel is a bit of a nuisance and I wouldn't stay there uness I had to.
latest report
Love it. Been to 1850 twice, beer prices not much different to London, food extortionate on some bits of the mountain, but you can pick your places.
The slopes are fantastic. (Rather too much of the golf course visible on the Verdon when we popped over for the day, but it was the end of April Wink
Have one in Le Bar Jump for me Very Happy
snow conditions
Courchevel January 04:

Expensive Sad
Snobby Sad
Crap snow Sad
Awful accomodation Sad
Long transfer Sad
Poor tuition Sad

Male stripper at Ice Hockey Laughing Laughing wink
snow report
marmalade ok what's that about
snow report
marmalade wrote,
Quote:

Courchevel January 04:
Expensive
Snobby
Crap snow
Awful accomodation
Long transfer
Poor tuition
Male stripper at Ice Hockey

Sorry, you had that sort of experience Confused My experience at with Courchevel differs. BTW I have been twice Jan 2005 and Jan 2006; going back in 2007!
My slant on these points is:-

Expensive : It's certainly not a McDonald resort. There are Michelin star restaurants about. Depends what you're used too. Could stay in CV1650 or even La Tania and still access the 3V's and CV1850, they are cheaper.
Snobby : Not a bit. You may not find a Club 18/30 though.
Crap snow : Can happen anywhere, but with excellent snow cannon coverage you're reasonably safe. Try a low level Austrian resort such as Soll in a bad time, they can close! In 2005, Jan 3rd week, started poor,(By poor, thats only by Courchevels high standards though.) But then the snow was poor everywhere in France> Last 3 days had a mega snow dump, powder on the piste!. Just take a look at the snow stats.
Awful accomodation : Only if you pay buttons, I have stayed in Catina (that was poor, tired decor) but I expected it to be at the price £400 ish... . In 2006 the Dahu with Mark Warner, that was good. £600. Ya gets what ya pay for! Can pay a lot more though....
Long transfer : Only if you pick an airport far away.
Geneva or Lyon approx the same - 115 miles 2 - 3 hrs.
Chambery - 50 miles 1 - 2 hrs
Grenoble - 70 miles 1 - 2 hrs
Last bit up the hill can take while, usually decamp from coach to mini bus part way, Mountain road can be icy and require snow chains. I do know of tfrs that took > 4 hrs though due to tour operator stupidity or weather.
Poor tuition : Had mixed experience. In 2005 was great. Less so in 2006, but , from experience its usually down to a specific instructor or using ESF! wink Never put up with poor or inadequate instruction anywhere. Tell them and they usually do something about it.
Male stripper at Ice Hockey Glad I missed that but what ever turns you on! Must have been the same night as the female stripper (drunken seasonaire) in the bar I was at! Laughing

I realy enjoyed my stays in this area and would fully recommend it to anyone. Not cheap, I agree, but IMHO worth the cost. BTW, I have contributed two report for CV1850 posted in the Resorts section, you may wish to take a look. wink
TTFN.
ski holidays
fraserp, I'd agree with most of what you said. I stayed in 1850 this year and all in all found the place to be fine.

There is no doubt that the skiing there is fantastic, which is why it is pricey - in particular 1850. If I was to go back I would go to 1550 as it is only a short ride by telecabin or chair lift and its cheaper than its higher rival.

I have also stayed in Catina and while I agree it is a little shabby, it is good value for money.

Ski school - I used Supreme there and found them to be very good.

I would agree with fraserp about Courchevel, it is a very good resort and I would recommend it to anyone
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy